Alnico's in a 412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGrooveking, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried or uses Alnico speakers in their 412 cabinet. I was contemplating 4 Scumnico's 30 watters in a Stone Age 412B cab.

TheGrooveking

2. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

One of the most desirable qualities of AlNiCo speakers is their ability to compress at high volume. It may be more difficult to achieve that goal when loaded in a 4x12 since the amp's power is divided equally among the speakers, making it more difficult for the amp to really push each speaker. Thus, I would make sure your amp has enough power to really drive those speakers and get the most out of them. Of course, you don't want to use an amp that has more power than the four speakers can handle. If you were to use 4 Celestion Blues, each rated at 15 watts, then make sure you use an amp that is rated at no more than 60 watts and even that may be pushing it if you play with the amp's volume control near max.

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Don't worry. GK has plenty of power for driving speakers.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I am running exactly that four 30 watt Scumnicos in a Marshall slant 4x12. It is my favorite cab even better than my vintage Marshall cabs. Just the sweetest tone yet can be plenty aggressive when you want it too. Not for death metal.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    908SP I've seen your posts about the Scumnicos and you are using a 66' JTM45 to power them. I'm planning on doing something similar, but a Egnater Seminar amp, which is a JTM45 with a solid state rectifier and a JCM800 tone stack that is tweaked by Bruce Egnater - a real killer amp.

It's probably my favorite amp, this head/412 will be the dry center channel of my W/D/W rig. The wets are Custom Audio Amplifiers 1-12's with Celestion Silver Series V12-60 speakers and are ran off of a Mesa 20/20. I had Alnico Blues in those CAA 1-12's but the V12's really made it more crisp sounding and helps to accenuate the effects, like phasing and flanging more than the alnico speakers did. The Alnico Blues have be recommisioned into a few new 1-12 5E3 combos.

For now I am using a Bag End Q412 speaker cabinet loaded with 4 EVM12L's. The Bag End has 4 seperate chambers in it for each speaker, it's a great sounding cab, but I am looking for more of a vintage sound that is a little warmer.

Thanks for the input guys.

TheGrooveking