Alot of people seem to like the smooth overdrive, but which pedal does "CRUNCH" best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by XXTwighlight, Dec 17, 2009.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

2. theGhost

theGhost Supporting Member

you really should do a search. there are TONS of threads talking about the the Crunch Box and the DLS and the BYOC Shredder and a whole bunch of other pedals out there...

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

the Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive on the Lead Channel does that Crunch. Crunchier than the RAT, which is more like a Big Hair 80's type distortion.

4. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

I've actually been looking for the same thing, and after reading the reviews, watching the clips and asking around here I've narrowed it down to the following

DLS
    Barber Dirty Bomb
    Crunch Box
    Subdecay Blackstar

From what I've gathered the DLS is not really a high gain type distortion, so I'm planning on using mine for more of the classic rock marshall tone.
    I also heard that the Crunch Box is great, but has a lot of mids so if you're looking for that scooped sound it may not be the one for you.
    There is a ton of options so take your time and check em out, Youtube is great for that.

I'm into week two of trying to decide :)

5. XXTwighlight

Yeah the vids on the DLS got me asking this question, cause it did seem to be crunchy.

6. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

Well mine is on the way and should be here early next week so I can give a better opinion then :)

It seems like a very versatile pedal, but I still think I'm going to need something for that higher gain live Metallica type crunch

7. XXTwighlight

Well rythym wise the DLS seems to be a good choice, but for leads if your doing metallica stuff who knows, maybe a bit under gain. Thats what i got from the youtube vids, i never played one in person.

8. theGhost

I loved the vids I saw on the Crunch Box, but I wanted something more versatile to dial in more sounds. I was told that the BYOC Shredmaster was just the ticket (with a 3-band eq plus volume and gain knobs), and what do you know, I found one on here for $80 shipped (already assembled too). I've never built one and the guy who built it has made a ton and even made me a demo to hear it. I'm excited about it, but I don't get to play it for a while.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  9. jdel77

jdel77 Where's my burrito? Silver Supporting Member

You're gonna frickin love that Shredder. Like the DLS's older brother!

10. theGhost

I hope so. I don't often buy pedals except after some pretty extensive research so that I can just play. I'm hoping it's versatile enough to be sorta similar to a one-channel jcm800 in the sense of rolling back the volume knob to clean things up real well and leave it on a lot of the time when playing. I love simple setups. once I get an m9 and figure it out well enough to have just a couple sounds that i love most, it's loop city and personal jam heaven for me. :D

11. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

Check out the Menatone Shut Up And Drive for low to high gain or for ultra high gain the None More Black. For Marshall crunch - the King Of The Britains.

12. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

I like the tone of the lead guitar on Santana's Waves Within.

13. overture2005

overture2005 Member