1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Alpha Drive or Paisley Drive for Strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zero G, May 20, 2011.

Do you prefer the Paisley or Alpha with your Strat?

1. Paisley Drive

2. Alpha Drive

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zero G

Zero G Member

I've got equal GAS for both of these pedals right now. For those that have tried or owned both, which did you prefer with your Strat? I play Satanic, cookie monster death metal with an eclectic jazz fusion trio... :omg Well...not really. :)

2. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

IMHO the Paisley drive sounds a bit sweeter...

3. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

I agree...TONS of tonal options. Been gigging with mine for 5 months now. I love it!

4. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Im waiting for an alpha... but have played neither

5. Zero G

Zero G Member

The only thing I was a little worried about with the Paisley was that someone had described it as always having a hint of fizz on the note(s), no matter how it was set. That's the kind of artifact I'm usually trying to avoid.

6. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Both are great pedals, but I will give the edge to the Alpha IMHO. Honestly can't go wrong with either, but the Alpha is in the Dumble style territory so its not entirely an apples to apples comparison.

Both pedals on one's board would be the way to go.

7. Zero G

Zero G Member

Fair enough. I'm sure I'll end up with both at some point. I have zero dirt pedals at the moment, so I need something that's pretty versatile for rhythm and lead stuff until I can afford another pedal to go with it. There's something about that Dumble "chirp" in the Alpha demos I'm hearing that just has me mesmerized.

8. IronPaws

IronPaws Member

http://youtu.be/UxwyQPsVKNM

I've had both at the same time, here's a video I made comparing the two. The Alha seems richer and the Paisley is a lot brighter. The Alpha fit my needs a lot better and I sold the Paisley.

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

What the Alpha does for my Strat should be illegal....LOL But Wampler pedals rock.....too bad your comparison is based on two different beasts.

10. Zero G

Zero G Member

True, but I'm not really looking to compare them. I know they are quite different. I was just curious as to which one Strat players generally preferred. The Paisley seems to be the more versatile of the two, but I haven't really heard a clip of it where I was like "WOW!" like I was with the Alpha clips. Therein lies the problem, I think. I know from experience that sometimes Youtube clips do not represent very well what a pedal sounds like in person. For example, the Plextortion. That pedal sounded completely different in person than the clips I'd heard (in a good way).

11. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I have the Paisley and use it with my Fender MIA Nashville B bender. I don't hear any fizz at all.

12. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I would totally agree, as I have seen no pedal do what Alpha does to a Strat or a Tele. It is an amazing lil bastard. Extremely touch sensitive with chirps and tons of harmonics. If you are handy with the volume knob of your guitar and can be dynamic with your picking, it will treat you like no other. Strum her easy and she sings, dig in and she chirps like a great smooth Dumble.

Total classic!

13. Swifty

Swifty Member

Largely depends on the amp(s) involved & the type of pickups in your Strat. Paisley might be a bit more versatile but I prefer the Alpha for single note legato lines (eclectic jazz fusion?) with a Strat (69 CS pickups) through a blackface Fender. Rarely used the bridge only pickup position on my Strat before, with the Alpha on low / med gain it's magical. Paisley has less bottom end and sounds a bit tighter with humbuckers FWIW. Both great pedals but with my rig the Alpha is "bigger" & more responsive.[​IMG]

14. Zero G

Zero G Member

I have a minimalist rig by necessity right now. A K-Line Strat, Peavey Classic 30 combo (JJ's), a Boss RC-2, and a Wampler Analog Echo (original big box - love this pedal). In the Strat is a Lollar Dirty Blackface set, but I'm thinking about yanking the Blackfaces for Blondes. The Special in the bridge is staying put for now. I don't usually play with a lot of gain. The gain channel on the C30 only really sounds good when the amp is cranked and cookin', which I can't do in our condo building. So essentially, I'm looking for a dirt pedal that sounds lots better than my amp's dirt channel at low to medium volume levels.

15. MHermans

MHermans Member

I had both at one point. I really liked the Paisley, but I kept the Alpha and sold the Paisley. Different pedals though. I don't have a strat, but I played one into the Alpha drive where I teach and I was blown away. It made the strat bridge sing like no other. It was perfect......

I now have to get a strat!!!

16. Zero G

Zero G Member

Awesome! Might we see a demo once you get a Strat, perchance?

17. Swifty

Swifty Member

Either one will make you lose your channel selector for the C30. The wait list for the Alpha is pushing 8 weeks now & growing so if you need a quick fix it'll be easier to find a Paisley I suspect.

18. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

If you are considering the Alpha you might also like a Hermida Distortion. I picked one up last winter and love it.

19. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I don't hear that at all with my Paisley. It sounds great with my Nashville Tele.