Alpha vs. CTS pots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by waylay00, Feb 6, 2008.

1. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Anyone have any thoughts on Alpha vs. CTS pots? Any noticeable tonal differences, etc?

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Alpha makes decent pots, but the bushing is a smaller size, so they'll be loose in holes drilled for CTS and CGE pots.

I prefer the feel of CGE pots myself, but their tolerances are very spotty.

3. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Yeah, I've realized that about the metric dimensions, but are there any actual quality differences as far as proneness to scratchiness, failure, etc?

4. rooster

rooster Member

Depends on the application. For volume pots, RS superpots are pretty much spot-on for the values, and they have a really nice taper, plus the feel of the old pots from years gone by, kinda stiff. As far as tone pots, you're kinda stuck with linear, as the reverse audio taper is no longer really available in the size/shaft length/bushing for LP guitars. I usually use CTS for those.

rooster.

5. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Bump for more opinions

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Been using Alpha pots for a couple years now. I find them to be very good in tolerance, feel and sound. Haven't had one wear out yet! The bushing size thing is no problem, just make sure you have a star washer between the pot and the mounting surface. It'll stay in place, no problem.

7. Bob V

Bob V Member

The knurling on the Alphas is slightly different also, so be prepared to swap knobs if yours don't hold (it's actually more of a problem going the other way, from Alpha to CTS I find I will crack more knobs). I actually prefer the easier turning action of the Aphas when you have the little skirted "tophat" Gibson knobs or Fender Strat knobs. The CTS are stiffer and I wound up switching to big Gibson "speed" (barrell/hatbox) knobs.

CTS has a good reputation, and Fender still uses them although the design has changed (the shaft now pokes out the back, and new batches have changed from brass shafts to aluminum/silver metal). It seems they're all made overseas now anyway so unless you're hunting for USA NOS, the imported thing is no longer a choice.