Alright gang, here are some mic clips that we guitar players inquire about

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I've put together just a small dosage of the 4 mics that we guitar players seem to always be asking about; the SM57, the Audix i5, the Sennheiser e906 and the Fathead 2.
    Of course, there are more, but I don't have 'em, I have these.

So, the setup is this:

*Heritage H-150 (with kind of old strings btw)
    *Guytron FV-100GT (B channel obviously, about 9 O'clock on the volume, so that's about 2 or 3ish)
    *Great River ME-1NV preamp set flat (meaning no polarity, impedance or loading)
    *Apogee Duet into Logic Express 8 using an iMac

Mic is right at the grill cloth midway between the dust cap and the edge, NOT off axis, straight on. Also, no verbs, no EQ, no compression, NOTHING. You even get some clicks, pops and clipping.

So needless to say, this is nothing fancy here guys, I just play 4 bars of 'Two Minutes to Midnight'. I chose that because it's a quick and easy riff to play consistently for your distorted guitar needs.

I do however have more amps and guitars that I'll happily put together something for someone if they have a real dire inquiry about something. I'm no studio player, but I can probably make a clip decent enough for you to decide if you're looking for a particular piece of gear. Let me know, I'll gladly help if I can.

So, here you are:

http://homepage.mac.com/shackelmac/FileSharing1.html

And out of the gate I'll answer what will probably be the first and most popular question. The best/closest representation of what I was hearing in the room while playing is somewhere in the middle of the 906 and the Fathead2.
    On another note, I DID change the impedance on the Great River (up to 1200 I think) because the folks that make the FH recommend that you run it at 1000 ohms. When I did that it shaved a small amount of woofiness off...kind of tightened it up *just slightly*. Probably the best sound all together, but in the interest of fairness, everything else is equal for all of the mics.

Enjoy.

2. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

That was awesome!! Thanks for the demo. All those mics sound SO different from each other.

I thought the SM57 sounded overcompressed and "nasally." The 906 seemed to have the most detail and was probably my favorite. The Fathead sounded cool but the highs seemed to be absent, like "a blanket was over my speakers." Sounded like a good mic for taming any fizzies present in an overdriven amp.

3. dnumde

dnumde Member

Very nice of you to do up these clips for comparison...to me ears i'll pick the 906 straightaway....probably with the i5 coming close.

But like what tfunster mentioned, the FH could probably sound better in front of a cranked plexi with lots of bite i assume :)

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I should add that placing the FH closer to the dust cap gives you (obviously more of the absent highs). I'm also experimenting with facing/turning it in the other direction.

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

The sm57 and i5 were recorded at a lower volume levels than the e906. The i5 was brighter than the sm 57 (could be because of mic placement with the 57?). The Fathead was entirely lacking in high frequency content (where was the mic positioned?). A lot of variables that make comparisons difficult. Even so, thanks for taking the time and effort to post the clips. Many of the Fathead clips I've heard did not lack high end, and as far as I can tell mic placement was approx. 3 feet back from the cab and pointing at the speaker center. Keep posting, this if fun!

6. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

???

Actually the 57 the i5 and the 906 are ON the grill cloth...the volume of the amp never changed. The FH was as close as I could get it given the protrusion of the shock mount, so, about 2 inches away.

Everything is identical through the recordings, I literally slipped the mics out of the clip and slipped in the next one retaining the exact positioning each time.

Just wanted to clear up any confusions.

Thanks.

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I liked the 57 and 906 best. Didn't care for the others.

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

Not necessarily referring to the amp volume, but the recorded volume (where the signal hits the tape or hard disk). Different mics may send a signal with different amplitude even when holding all other variables constant (e.g., amp volume). If you analyze your clips thru a spectrum analyzer, you will see that the "recorded" volumes vary. The 906 is louder and this may partially account for why many prefer the 906 clip.

9. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Thank you very much for posting that!!!

I tended to like the 906 the best as well.

The I5 seemed a bit bright but "transparent" or "cleaner" (don't know just how to describe it) while the 57 retained its nazally character.

The Fathead still sounded good to me as I don't like an icepicky bright tone. Based on what other posts I have heard on TGP, I would say that a good combo could be had from any of the other three mics plus the Fathead. I have to get one of those. I have two I5s and two 57s already.

I am not familiar with the Guytron amp at all. Can you give some details on that?

One thing I notice about all of the YouTube clips of various amps is that you are hearing the mic on the camera which by its very nature is a room sound. Of course, none of those clips are going to give you that "on the grill" tone.

I own two 5150 II amps that sound great in the room but awful recorded. I think my problem is my amp(s). I just picked up a CeriaTone Plexi 50. I can't wait to hear what that amp sounds like on tape.

Thanks again for posting those clips.
    :BEER

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Interesting. In the clips, I liked the 57 and 906 but after auditioning the 906, a 57 and an Audix, I prefered the Audix for my uses. It got me closer to where I want to be in the mix of a song without much EQ. But that kinda makes sense because my rig can be bass heavy in the room and in your clips, the Audix sounded a bit thin on bass. But i'll say any of the three I use will get me what I want. It's a matter of how much EQ'ing I have to do in mixdown or amp tweeking.

A few questions I would have... where was the switch on the 906, how loud was the amp, and if the amp was cranking, can a ribbon handle high spl's? And a general question to anyone, do different mic's react different to high or low SPL's? I mean is there such a thing as "pushing" a mic to a sweet spot? I record with a JCM 800 at gig levels. Just wondering if amp volume has any effect on a mic's performance.

11. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Nice job! Lately a great mic combo I've been using is the Sennheiser E906 on the middle position (ala the MD-409) for the mids with a Sennheiser 421 to pick up the low and high end. Both close mic'd. Using a Pacifica Mic Pre, it's exactly what I hear in the room.

12. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Reminds me why I think the 906 is the best guitar mic around.
    Love them.

13. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

KennyD - http://www.guytron.com/

rob2001 - Honestly, the 906 was right out of the box...I didn't even look at the swtich (sorry). I don't have the answer to your ribbon mic questions. I would suspect that you can push them. I was cognizant of this when I first plugged it in and eased up on the volume of the guitar to be certain. Of all of them, it was the closest and most likely to clip.

I do like the 906 a lot too, but the i5 was a pleasant surprise.

I plan to experiment with other guitars/amps/settings. This is just the beginning.

I'll try to get some clean tones up in the next few days.

14. Greggy

Greggy Member

That's what I said above. I observed amplitudes on a specrtrum analyzer and the differences in volume render meaningful comparisons difficult. I would like to hear the fathead 3 feet or so back from the speaker.

15. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I get ya now. I'll pull the FH back out and back it off the grill a bit...will post another few clips in the next day or so.

16. buchla300

buchla300 Member

A nicely placed 906 EATS a 57 for lunch imho. Sure, a 57 is useful and does the trick, but it's one of those mics that never excels for me. I can always find something to dom the same job but better. Stuck on a desert island, it's a great mic, buut when you have choices, it usually loses.
    Beyer M69, M88, Senn M201, M421, E906, Audix i5. All these would take preference to me on any amp.

17. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

+1 for the 906, the Duet and Logic Studio

18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Listening alone, the 906 sounds best to me, but I bet the 57 clip would do well in a mix. The 906 and 57 together would probably sound wonderful.

19. Greggy

Greggy Member

GiGigigity, all of the good fathead clips I've heard have the mic a couple of feet back from the grille. I'm considering pulling the trigger on one, but am still hesitant, at least for now. Thanks for the clips.

20. delichef

delichef Member

I just picked up a fat head II...it sounds great on guitar. I set mine up between 1 and 2 feet off the speaker....started with it pointed directly at the speaker then moved it around to tweak the highs. Very nice. I also have a black 609, Audix i5 and a Tab57. It depends on what type of track you're recording, but these are all great mics on a electric guitar. Moving them around a little bit and i'm sure you'd find a decent amount of overlap between them.

Cheers,
    - alex