Alright narrowed my amp selection down - which is the best option/deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ohreallynow, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

I have a USA HRD that I want to upgrade, looking for a more classic fender tone (and just want something different). Play mostly hard rock and blues and record in my basement studio as well as play the occasional gig with a band.

Option 1: I have already ordered a new DRRI that I have another two weeks to return, didn't get a great price ($950).

Option 2 is I found a '67 Twin reverb all stock except for the speakers and grill cloth for $1400 (not sure if this is a good price or not)

Option 3 is to get a '65 Twin reverb reissue slightly used for $850-900.

If I keep the DRRI, I will probably keep the HRD for larger gigs, if I go with one of the twin's I will probably sell the HRD locally. So the out of pocket costs of the twin is ~$300 less as I will likely sell the HRD if I get the twin.

2. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I would go the vintage twin if you want the classic Fender tone.
    What are the hard rock benchmark tones for you? ? That's a pretty broad tonal spectrum your wanting from a Fender combo known for its spanky clean.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Keep in mind that the "classic Twin" at $1400 still needs the speakers changed, unless you like what is in it. The ones I've owned all had JBL's in them, which were an upgrade from the company, plus the grill. That can be a lot of extra money spent that you may not get back on resale.

These Twins are HEAVY! you may like the idea of owning an old Twin, but the weight will eventually make you re-think this amp.

You may wish to look at other options for the money you are going to spend.

4. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

This. I will also add that if you want the extra wattage for the headroom, fine. These amps are loud, heavy and don't break up at lower volumes.

5. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

None of those are great prices. The price of Twins has dropped as fewer players need that much volume or want that much weight. IMO Deluxe Reverbs don't have the oomph and are too thin sounding, especially for hard rock. You should go in between and find a Pro Reverb (easy to find at low prices right now) or a Super Reverb. Both would be better for rock than either the TR or DR, and neither would have the cumbersome volume or weight of the Twin.

6. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

IMO the HRD that you already have is a better option than your other 3. What do you feel like you're lacking with it? With two good drive pedals you can easily move between blues and hard rock.

7. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

$1400 is not a good deal for a twin. I can get a bf or SF twin on Craigslist for sub $800.

8. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

'67 Twin. No question.

9. e???

e??? Member

I'd return the DRRI and go play the other two if you can, see what you like. They're slightly overpriced, but not that bad. It depends on where you are in the world. In a big city like San Fran or even Minneapolis/St. Paul you can find them a couple hundred dollars cheaper. A good sounding real blackface (the '67) is a really cool thing though... You'll need somebody to help you carry option 2 or 3 to a gig or down to your basement (trust me, back pains for a few days), but I rented the reissue once for a gig and that was definitely a great amp. Good luck on your search!

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Of all the amps to choose for hard rock and blues in the basement, the Twin would be pretty close to the bottom of my list. I think you're best off with what you already have. If you really want to stick with Fender, perhaps a SuperSonic 22 would work. The latest version of the Hot Rod is really nice too.

11. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I agree that a Twin in a basement isn't really a whole lot of fun. I also agree that $900-950 for any reissue is not a good use of money.

I might go a different direction, and keep the HRD for louder stages, and get something smaller that's more fun to wind up at home: maybe a Princeton Reverb, or a tweed Deluxe, or.... That might open up more interesting options, and it might have the side effect of weaning you off the HRD entirely.

For a single amp that could do multiple things, I might sell the HRD and replace it with a SF Vibrolux Reverb.

12. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

As usual, smiert spionam is exactly right!

The new '68 Custom VR wouldn't be a bad choice either.

13. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Hey, DB is too!

;)

Good idea.

14. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

So I ended up ordering a new DRRI AND a '73 SFDR (all original except for caps / missing footswitch). Didn't get a great deal on either ($950 and $1250 respectively). I actually really like them both. The DRRI has more of a chime to it which I prefer, particularly at lower volumes. The '73 is a bit fuller / more well rounded. When I crank them up, its no contest, the '73 sounds awesome, very full sound. The DRRI sounds much more compressed.

That said the post-purchase guilt sets in and I'm wondering if the '73 is worth the extra $300. Although I suppose I can justify it by the fact that a used DRRI goes for $650-700 so I'd be losing $250-300 off the bat in terms of resale should I ever sell, while the '73 will probably retain its value better.

Any thoughts on which way to go here?