Alright, time to be honest!!! Need advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Guitar Slinger6, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I recently found myself unemployed after 13 years (not a bad thing). In this I have opportunity to go into a top shelf studio and work with a accomplished producer (this is at my expense ofcourse). I am not looking to get rich off a second time around career in music, but maybe make a living from it or at least a second income. Here is my question, is the music, songs, singing,... good enough? Or should I focus elsewhere. I am just looking for some honest opinions. I realize that ultimately it is my decision and it falls on me. Here is the "fixed" link.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=801755

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

The link doesn't work.

With that said, here's what I would ask you. Assume, for discussion, that you have the greatest, can't fail hit song produced and ready to go. What is your plan? How are you going to reach the masses? How are you going to get your music heard. Most people want to "just get their music out there." That's not going to work. What is your marketing plan? Are you willing to tour or play out? If you want to tour, who is going to come to your show and how will you reach them?

It's not impossible to do, but without funds to market yourself, or time, that being a teenager who doesn't require "X" dollars a month to support home mortgage, insurance, kids, wife, etc., it's hard to build a fan base.

You've got to have a plan. . .It doesn't really matter how good the music is. . .Just listen to the product on the radio today. What matters is having a unique proposition that people want to associate with, even if just for 3 minutes.

3. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

The link should work now. Valid points all the way around. And on top of that the music isn't even marketable to the pop music demographic. It would be more than tough! My strategy involves more business strategy that I think would work on a regional level. However it would require a great product and capital up front. But you make good points that have to be considered.

4. daveanto21

daveanto21 Supporting Member

Definetly great music and singing. I dont know how much you were making and what kind of lifestyle you live, but you dont need to be "big" to make a living with music. I have a ton of friends that make a modest living gigging full time. I personally dig it. Find the atmospere that works best for your band around your state and branch out from there. One band I knew that was really good tried the whole travel america thing and went broke and broke up quick. It takes a lot more money and dedication to travel all over the states not even knowing where your next job is. Unfortunately get good at doing some good covers with a few originals, mix the two. I would go see your band. Best of luck and yes I think you could make a living playing music. Just make sure you dont have to big of a band for the amount of money you bring in. Sometimes the 4th person kills any profit the band really needs. All depends on what people will pay you. But good luck and good music.

5. Fretzel

Fretzel Member

Good stuff!!! Like the Let's Ride with keys. I would keep the B3, but ditch the piano for some horns!!!! Reminds me somewhat of Arc Angels-Good Time.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Here's another thought. . .1) Get a really polished professional product ready to be distributed; 2) Go see the program directors of some local radio stations. . .Not the big mega-stations, which are now all owned by 2 or 3 national conglomerates, but the local stations that still have a local owner and Program Director, and see if they can put a song or two in rotation (your best bet may be the college station route, i.e. REM) also, a number of stations have "home grown" shows and spotlight local and/or up and coming talent; 3) Play a few local gigs and see how your band gels. . .make sure the parts work together; 4) Develop a show and a concept; 5) Try to get on the regional "festival tour"; 6) Play like crazy and build a buzz via lot's of interviews with anybody who will interview you (newspaper, TV or Radio), then follow up with thank you letters; emails and lot's of personal telephone calls and personal appearances. . .anything to create a buzz. There are many people I know who have built regional fanbases by having a product every few years and occasional radio play.

When you play out, have your product with you to either give away or sell. Come up with some interesting T-shirts and give them away. Ask people for their email address and get them on your email list, have a person in charge of getting email addresses either at the stage side or near the soundman. Make sure they get notice whenever you're in the area. Above all, treat your music like a business.

7. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thanks for the input and thanks for the insight.

8. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thanks!

9. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Response to RustyG.
    Sorry, I am in my IPhone and it doesn't scroll all the way down on quotes to larger post.
    Some great ideas you have, I will be adding some of them to the strategy sheet. Thank you!

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

dude, you know i've been a fan of yours for acouple years now. go for it. you've got good vocals, great chops. i'd say a pretty good head start on the competetion. let her buck.

11. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thank you, I very much appreciate it!

12. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I heard enough to know that if this were 1955, you'd have instant record deal. I don't mean that in a bad way but selling blues/R&B is harder than say, techno at this point.