Alt.Country Club: Fifth Dimension

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Thought I would kick this one off as this has become my favorite topic here at TGP and thanks to the other clubbers, I am learning so much about the "right" roots music gear and listening options and new artists I probably would never have heard of. So thanks and happy holidays to all of you clubbers. Let's keep this going...

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Open it up with a pic of my gear room after about 6 of these Alt. Country threads. The irony being, my pedal board is still as simple as it was 3-4 years ago. =)

[​IMG]

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Nice thread title Todd.

Bulldog following on from the Diamond Trem discussion remind me again what you've had? I've had more trems that I can remember and from what I remember some significantly attenuated bottom end some didn't.

Pair of beautiful bursts btw!

4. ahab

ahab Member

Bulldog,
    Your 330 looks like a blast to play. What a beautiful guitar.

5. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I love the simple bursts. To be honest, i've always loved the plain and simple honey blonde tele. If I'd been born earlier, I'd own a 56-57 Honey Blonde, but no chance of that anymore, so the 98 is a beautiful alternative. I've got a couple other electrics, but those are what I'm playing. I'll be cleaning out the other stuff I think, and then looking for another guitar. Maybe an early 60s Junior or a late 60s-early 70s 335.

I think this is all the Trems - TR-2, Semaphore (original), Cusack Tap-A-Whirl, Earthquaker Pulse Machine, Fultone Supa-Trem, Red Witch Pentavocal, Diamond Tremolo

Of them, the Diamond and the Earthquaker were the best sounding I found. The Semaphore was third. The Earthquaker was closest to reproducing the Fender Amp Trem. Almost everything I've tried has some attenuation to the bottom end, which I really don't like, especially with my Tele. Not as big a deal with Humbuckers/P-90s, but when using the bridge pickup of a tele, it's pretty obvious.

I'm going to keep working with the Diamond and give it more time. The range of the pedal is awesome, and the overall design gets an A+ from me. It's very very well designed and Diamond deserves some major props for this. Very simple operation for a pedal with this much going on. I hope other builders pay attention to the wave switching operation of this pedal because it's a thing of beauty, how it controls. I look forward to hearing your comments Grant.

I'm seriously debating trying the Effectrode Delta-Trem, simply cause of how I respond to the low end with my tele. I get such great fender trem from my amps, but warm sounding square wave trem is really my #1 desire and none of my amps can produce that sound.

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Thanks! It's just an awesome guitar. Best purchase I've ever made. It's amazing to look back at the gear I had when I started the first of these threads something like 3-4 years ago, and the gear I've got today. So different.

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I think from memory during the TGP era I've had:-

TR2 modded and un-modded
    Supa -Trem
    Demeter
    Tap-A-Whirl
    Dr Scientist Tremolessence
    Custom Frantone Vibutron
    Toneczar Powerglide
    Telenordia TT3
    and the as yet un-tried Diamond.

My favourite for tone was Powerglide which just very narrowly edged out the custom Vibutron that Marko now has with the TT3 and Demeter tied behind that for different reasons.

The Vibutron I sold because I had acquired the TT3 and needed to pay for the Powerglide but in truth it was very nearly as good! The Powerglide was awesome but I find it's two in one approach not to be particularly advantageous in the way it was implemented and it required two of my PP2+ power outlets which was an issue at the time. If there was a simpler Powerglide I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it for the tone alone.

It'll be interesting to see how the Diamond fares against the slightly gritty but full sounding TT3.

8. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

Just signing in to the new thread.

Got a surprise NPD when a WIIO showed up at my house unexpectedly, courtesy of a friend on the TF board. Can't wait to rewire the board (several of my pedals went "on tour" while I was in China last week) and add the WIIO to the mix.

And my Lollar Charlie Christian is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Happy Day!

9. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

I always thought it was Kenny Rogers and the Fifth Dimension but I was mistaken. It was KR and the First Edition. Damn.

Good to see everyone was able to drop in to see what condition the new edition was in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8k6fVe25k

10. duende

duende Member

Anybody here just use their amp tremolo? I don't know... Just a thought.

11. g_aust

g_aust Member

[​IMG]

Wasn't one of these posted in the previous thread? Got this one today :)
    Crappy cell phone picture, but looking forward to getting home from work to try it out.

Good timing as well, as my huckleberry started making strange noises yesterday.. Strange background hum, so I guess there's a faulty connection somewhere?

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Thanks Grant-I thought the title should be something a little different! As for tremolo, I am very happy with the EMpress for the "tube" setting and a nice, robust but clean trem with a slight boost. I also like the rhythm patterns for the occastional trippiness factor-almost like a multi-tap sound. Thanks to Bulldog, I also have an Earthquaker Pulse machine which has this unique level control that adds some really warm and gritty/grindy gain thing. I find that the Pulse is better for the "dirty tremolo" fast and slightly choppy sounds witht he Empress covering the slower grooves. I am intrigued by the Diamond Trem and would love to borrow one to compare to the Empress. The Diamond website clips of the trem, especially those with added dirt from the EQ/Boost and J-Drive sounded really swampy and exceptionally good for delta or rootsy rock.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I'm getting two small boards together, one's complete the other's coming together. My fave tremolo is the V.2 Swamp Thang. I haven't found anything that can get the same tones as this box, other than the Swart amp tremolo, and I've tried a bunch {fulltone, frantone, demeter, guytone flip, boss, byoc}. Still more to try & the new Diamond's on the list, for sure. There's a magical setting on teh Swamp Thang that gets fast but still with a little delay for that swampy CCR sound. I do want to try the Cusack out. His Screamer is unique, yet familiar.

14. Grant Ferstat

I wish Michael Swart would do an outboard trem and verb based on the AST. Even if I only used it in the studio it'd be worth it.

15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    This is what it's all about! Nice choice.

16. RomanS

RomanS Member

The amp tremolo on my Princeton Reverb clone is smoother & warmer than any trem pedal I ever tried (but doesn't go as deep, and, of course, isn't choppy at all) - but a s for trem pedals, I really love the EA Tremolo, very "amplike", and doesn't rob as much bass as some others; mine overdrives a b it by itself if I hit it with too much output (either a booster, or the Charlie Christian neck PU in one of my Teles), but that's actually a nice kind of sound, makes it slightls "swampy".

NTD here, BTW:
    [​IMG]

I had breadboarded a Liquid Sunshine circuit a while ago, and really liked it, was about to build a clone when I won this for a REALLY good price on German Ebay (I guess few people know it there). I like it a lot, the "liquid" part in the name really fits it well, a very fluid-sounding, warm, full tpye of OD, slightly compressed, but not as nasal as TS-types, really "naturals"/"organic"-sounding, no harshness, no fizziness (except when you max the lower drive pot), great for single-note solo type stuff, and a good addition for the more open/transparent lower-gain grit of my Barber LTD and my ODR-1-clone...

17. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I prefer amp tremolo. I think it feels different than pedal tremolo. Maybe because the trem on an amp comes after the preamp instead of before like a pedal. That said, good amp trem is hard to find. Even the trem on some Fenders isn't that great. I had a SF Virboverb with a very wimpy trem. My 6G2 Princeton has a nice trem but it doesn't go deep enough. The best amp trem I've had was on a Brown Deluxe and a Ceriatone 18 watt Marshall. Sadly, I no longer own either amp.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

That was one kicking tremolo! I made a choice to set the Swart free but I do want one of his smaller boxes that's on my list. I am a fussy guy when it comes to tremolo and so far the Swamp Thing has been the only one I've been happy with.

19. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

New thread! Love the title, Todd.

As for trems, I've tried the usual suspects (Fulltone, Demeter, Boss, BYOC, Dano, Sugar Baby, Voodoo Lab, Prescription, etc.), but have been most happy with my Tremster. It's not the "best," but it's very quiet, I love the subtle difference the "mode" button makes, and I like having a volume knob. I can dial it in to sound like the trem on my '64 Deluxe (though the pedal's much quieter), and could almost get it to sound like the trem on the brown Princeton I used to own (though of course it lacked the low end wallop). It's a solid pedal that I've come to trust, not too complicated, but still versatile. That being said, I've been on the list for a Powerglide ever since hearing one in person. Maybe in a decade or two.

I have to say, though, that my favorite recorded trem can be heard throughout Blue Mountain's Dog Days, from Hudson's tweed Falcon. It's filthy, scratchy, and sounds like his amp needs servicing, but it adds a lot to that record. Not much chance of getting that out of a pedal, unfortunately.

20. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

The trem on both of my Goodsells is based on the old 50s and 60s Gibson amps, and it's supplanted any need or want I ever had for trem. The only downside is I don't have trem available with my Bassman (although I don't use it that often) and the one in my DR just doesn't sound that good. I miss my old Princeton Reverb.

Sooner or later, hopefully, I'll snag a good brown Fender or 2. I really like both of the trems they implemented in those. Especially this (which I just realized is probably Jahn):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.