Alt.Country Club-Lucky Number 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobpaul81

I also have the whole DBT, Isbell, Hood catalogue.

While Jason's songs were possibly my faves on the DBT albums he participated in I actually also find that his own albums are good and have some great moments but not actually as attractive to me as the Drive By Truckers albums overall. I've never seen Jason play live but what I've seen on YouTube has indicated that it would be something well worth doing. I have seen the Truckers once in Nashville with The Hold Steady.

Neff being bought in has IMO been a good thing for the truckers as it gives them the 2 guitars plus PSG option as well as the flat-out 3 guitar attack, and Shonna Tucker has stepped up to the plate since Jason left also.
Certainly ******** Lonely Love and Never Gonna Change rank up there. Cooley's written some great songs too: 3 Dimes Down, Zip City. I love Patterson's story telling style. I think my favs come from him: Putting People on the Moon, Lookout Mountain, Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife, That Man I Shot. There's others. Funny, most of those songs I mentioned came from The Dirty South or Brighter Than Creations Dark. I guess we know which two records I liked the best. :)

This is exactly why I like John's playing best. Great tone, always on key, and smooth.

Last edited:

TMock

I like DBT so much because on any given day, a different member of the band is my favorite. They each bring something totally unique. I do love Patterson's story telling style, both in his songs and just generally. I saw them in Charlottesville, VA a year or so ago, and they played about a 10-15 minute interlude between two songs while Patterson told this slow, rambling story about his mom and her trucker boyfriend. It was kind of thing that would have destroyed the momentum of a show had it been anyone else but him. But he had everyone's complete attention the whole time.

Jacobpaul81

I like DBT so much because on any given day, a different member of the band is my favorite. They each bring something totally unique. I do love Patterson's story telling style, both in his songs and just generally. I saw them in Charlottesville, VA a year or so ago, and they played about a 10-15 minute interlude between two songs while Patterson told this slow, rambling story about his mom and her trucker boyfriend. It was kind of thing that would have destroyed the momentum of a show had it been anyone else but him. But he had everyone's complete attention the whole time.
He tells that story every time they play "18 wheels of love". However, the story gets longer every year.

amp boy

i think Lucinda's guitar man always puts out great tone..........every decent audio clip i hear. From subtle reverb tremolo gretschy slow stuff to this...
Anybody know his gear ??

plus LW has one of my favorite voices in music.
it's kinda the definition of grit and the life in it.
F'n lovely !!!!

carljoensson

Jacobpaul81

there's been many different sidemen in Lucinda's career. On World Without Tears, West and Little Honey it's Doug Pettibone... but Doug left her shortly after the album broke.

My favorite grouping of sidemen was the 98-2001 crew: John Jackson and Kenny Vaughn. Kenny Vaughn is now Marty Stewarts sideman. John Jackson was one of Bob Dylan's guitarists from 90-98 and has been working with Shelby Lynne since he left Lucinda. He's appeared on 3 different grammy award winning records.

Of course, in there, there's also Charlie Sexton. Another Bob Dylan guitarist (among other things) who appears alongside Jackson and Vaughn on the Car Wheels and a Gravel Road and Essence era recordings. I believe he co-produced Essence.

JOY: w/ John and Kenny:

Joy: w/ Doug:

Pale Rider

Gold Supporting Member
no Gurf Morlix love here?
he played on two of her most consistent and grand records, Sweet Old World and Car Wheels....

amp boy

wowie......thanks guys.
this what i really dig about you types of folks,
you know about history and players etc.....musician culture.

I love the sound of that SG on that track.
Also have to get a copy of that Soundstage performance.
I don't buy dvds anymore.......but their are a lot of neat music related ones i should like to get sometime. That Wilco Ashes of American Flags looks wonderfully shot from the few clips i've found.

......and DAMN that ACL performance of JOy...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
talk about layers, and punch in the playing.

msbeckley

Yeah, you can set the Keith Banjo tuner to 2 different pitches (like your low E that you tune down to D) but
the were designed for really light gauge Banjo strings.
I couldn't get them to work very well for me on the guitar.
I think they could possibly work better with light strings.
When John Doe came around with the Sadies last year Dallas told me, IF I remember correctly, that he regretted have the thing installed. Don't remember why that was. Don't think I saw him use it, though..

Jacobpaul81

no Gurf Morlix love here?
he played on two of her most consistent and grand records, Sweet Old World and Car Wheels....
Gurf was the guitarist Sweet Old World (he was her guitarist from like 85-96). They went into the studio in 1995 but the work Gurf did was flat, so Lucinda fired him in 1996, 2 years before Car Wheels was finished (Gurf claims he walked). The majority of that record is session guys. Steve Earle replaced Gurf as producer, but was also fired during those sessions. That's her best record and apparently the most difficult to record. That album was loaded with guitarists. Other names included: Greg Liesz, Johnny Lee Schell, Buddy Miller, Jim Lauderdale, Ray Kennedy, Bo Ramsey, Richard Price. Who knows who played what where. I know for the tour that followed, it was John Jackson and Kenny Vaughn with Jim Lauderdale on acoustic and backing vocals.

gtrshow

wowie......thanks guys.
this what i really dig about you types of folks,
you know about history and players etc.....musician culture.

I love the sound of that SG on that track.
Also have to get a copy of that Soundstage performance.
I don't buy dvds anymore.......but their are a lot of neat music related ones i should like to get sometime. That Wilco Ashes of American Flags looks wonderfully shot from the few clips i've found.

......and DAMN that ACL performance of JOy...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
talk about layers, and punch in the playing.
When we saw Lucinda a couple of years ago Doug played a whack of guitars but leaned on a Strat more than any other. The other guitarist, Chet Lyster, played a Gretsch Duo Jet most of the night. I've wanted a Duo Jet ever since and finally got one in trade last week. :aok

That ACL performance is a must see for any Lucinda fan. Jackson and Vaughan are fantastic. Get it!

Jacobpaul81

The Bunkhouse LP showed up yesterday. I've had time for 3 listens. It's very good. It's the most "country" and "folksy" of the Jayhawks' albums. It's got a lot of Bob Dylan vibe to it along with a lot of 50s Luther Perkins style country rifts. I'd say it's far more country than their later folksy-rock efforts. It does have some punkish influence too. It's a lot like comparing uncle tupelo to the Son Volt/Wilco follow-up records. To me Tupelo sounds far more country and punk than country rock (to me, A.M. and Trace are very country rock). Anyways, I'm really digging it.

...And just so you know, according to the cover, there were only 2000 of the original pressing made... hence none of us owning one. ;)

amp boy

congrats on the duojet !!!!!
my 1st electric guitar, favorite guitar.

I'm trying to identify with my 1st tele, and i like it, but not like my duo......that's my homegrown root. part it is i'm not a good guitar player, nor do i know really what i am doing technically.....so i am not able to take advantage to the great playing styles that go along with it.

Best with you new Duo, mine's 2004 so i don't have TV's...does yours ??
I've been thinking about getting some.
and i have some RS pots that i'm going to install at some point.

Jacobpaul81

I'm trying to identify with my 1st tele, and i like it, but not like my duo......that's my homegrown root. part it is i'm not a good guitar player, nor do i know really what i am doing technically.....so i am not able to take advantage to the great playing styles that go along with it.
Having a great tele helps. A chunky maple neck, string thru, ash body. The modern teles don't work for me at all. I really love a chunky soft V neck tele. I've really gotten use to that neck style and it makes it hard to transition to other guitars. I just want to pick my tele back up. I wish I could find more guitars that had that 55-57 tele V-neck profile. It makes playing country rifts so much easier for me. My guitar playing has improved 100% in the last 4 years since acquiring my 98 and I really can say that it's attributed to the neck.

Great stuff going in the new thread here already!

We did a show last night and the band that opened for us was Brittany Shane. They're from San Francisco. We shared our equipment with them and their guitar player had a Duesenberg! It sounded great through my amp. Very cool band too. I think you all would dig.

Did our first long set as a trio last night. Went well and for the most part it was fine but there were some places I really missed that second guitar. Anyone on here from SoCal looking to play some rhythm/lead guitar with me?

newdull

Gurf was the guitarist Sweet Old World (he was her guitarist from like 85-96). They went into the studio in 1995 but the work Gurf did was flat, so Lucinda fired him in 1996, 2 years before Car Wheels was finished (Gurf claims he walked). The majority of that record is session guys. Steve Earle replaced Gurf as producer, but was also fired during those sessions. That's her best record and apparently the most difficult to record. That album was loaded with guitarists. Other names included: Greg Liesz, Johnny Lee Schell, Buddy Miller, Jim Lauderdale, Ray Kennedy, Bo Ramsey, Richard Price. Who knows who played what where. I know for the tour that followed, it was John Jackson and Kenny Vaughn with Jim Lauderdale on acoustic and backing vocals.
Bo is a buddy of mine. He played on Car Wheels, toured with her, and produced half of Essence. He quit/was fired multiple times during the period. At once point, he swore he would never play music again. Luckily, that didn't stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics