Alt.Country Club-Lucky Number 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

amp boy

Bulldog,

you should check out USACG for necks.....lovely stuff.
my tele is an alder body, kinda heavy in the 8.5 - 9 range like an LP.
i do love the neck though, which is a USACG.
really makes a difference in approach, and i enjoy that.
i kinda don't know how to describe that.

gtrshow

congrats on the duojet !!!!!
my 1st electric guitar, favorite guitar.

I'm trying to identify with my 1st tele, and i like it, but not like my duo......that's my homegrown root. part it is i'm not a good guitar player, nor do i know really what i am doing technically.....so i am not able to take advantage to the great playing styles that go along with it.

Best with you new Duo, mine's 2004 so i don't have TV's...does yours ??
I've been thinking about getting some.
and i have some RS pots that i'm going to install at some point.
My Duo is also an '04 (Dec.), a '57 Reissue w/ Dyna's. It just arrived this week, so I'm still dialing it in. I started by lowering the polepieces as recommended on Gretsch Talk. A string change is next..I'm thinking 11's for a little more punch.

My fave "Tele", and #1 guitar overall, is a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy semi-hollow (thinline style w/ neck HB). Love that thing!

Jacobpaul81

Bulldog,

you should check out USACG for necks.....lovely stuff.
my tele is an alder body, kinda heavy in the 8.5 - 9 range like an LP.
i do love the neck though, which is a USACG.
really makes a difference in approach, and i enjoy that.
i kinda don't know how to describe that.
Mine weighs in at 8lbs even. I don't need to change out neck on my tele thankfully. My problem is finding other guitars (non-teles) that work as well. =)

coldfingaz

Any fans of Deer Tick here? I'm digging their first couple records quite a bit & look forward to catching them live... I'm waiting for a small club headlining show vs. an opening slot in much bigger clubs... they were recently supporting Dr. Dog, which I totally don't get, but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, these guys aren't breaking any new ground, but they write some really cool tunes. They combine a folksy feel with drunken raucous energy... typically this sort of thing is right up my alley especially in a small club environment.

ibobunot

Gurf was the guitarist Sweet Old World (he was her guitarist from like 85-96). They went into the studio in 1995 but the work Gurf did was flat, so Lucinda fired him in 1996

I thought Gurf Morlix was the producer/guitarist and was fed up with the delays so he quit... :confused:

Dandy13

great board as always. i liked the yellow side of the kot quite a bit but never found a use for the red side. both sides together was way too much for me.

Today I'm off to play an arvo show as part of the Western Australian Music Industry Awards festival. We were nominated but didn't win the country category this year but it's always a fun time in Perth. Northbridge which is the entertainment district on the other side of the railway line from the CBD will have live music in pretty in every licensed venue this arvo/night. You can walk from venue to venue with your WAMI tickets and see a lot of music of various types. I wish it was like that every Saturday!

We were to be playing an outdoor show in the Cultural Centre area but of all the things in dry as a bone Perth, it's actually decided to rain so we've been moved indoors which is a bit of a pity as we don't often get to play all ages shows.

Anyway, this is the board config for today. It's actually a lot of dirt/boost options for me. I've been trying the KoTv4 instead of the Dual Drive and I'm actually trying to make a final decision on whether I like the versatility of it over the for me slightly preferable voicing of the Dual Drive. I've put the new Timmy on to see if I can notice the difference to my older non-PCB "Katrina" one and the Klon is back on for some boost muscle. I have been running without the Klon at rehearsal using the yellow KoT channel as my solo boost. Today I'm gonna try running the KoT yellow channel as a slightly more mid-range thick low gain sound to compliment the Timmy. The Red KoT channel is used as a real "rock" overdrive for I think two songs.

I think there's a really good chance when I get the Creston tele with the extra kick of the P90's that I'll probably be back to one overdrive and a boost as my extra gain will come from swapping guitars >stock teles to P90 tele.

I have a Memory Lane 2 coming also so I'm going to need to make room for that at some stage.

Lampasas

great board as always. i liked the yellow side of the kot quite a bit but never found a use for the red side. both sides together was way too much for me.
Did you go with the high gain option by chance? Just wondering, since my name should be nearing the top of Mike's list. He recommends the high gain option on the site, but I can't see needing it.

Dandy13

Did you go with the high gain option by chance? Just wondering, since my name should be nearing the top of Mike's list. He recommends the high gain option on the site, but I can't see needing it.
nah, i just got the standard. i was thinking the same as you when my name came up on the list, but in retrospect the high gain option would probably make it more interesting even if it's not something you'd use all the time. i don't think high gain on the kot is really "high gain" relatively speaking, just a bit hotter than the standard kot. then again i've never played that version myself so grain of salt

Jacobpaul81

I thought Gurf Morlix was the producer/guitarist and was fed up with the delays so he quit... :confused:
That's how he tells the story. But like most stories, no one will tell the truth. No different than the Tweedy/Bennett breakup. Lot of fibs in that story.

It's my understanding that Lucinda recorded the whole thing with Gurf and it was flat. They preformed the songs together back in 1994, long before the current version of Car Wheels was recorded. She shelved the tapes in 1995 and she and Gurf hit the road. She fired him sometime during this period and then she hired Steve Earle in 96-97 sometime to re-record the record. They brought in Ray Kennedy who loves the vintage gear and they tried producing an album with all the vintage sounds. Lucinda and Steve didn't get along to well and so Lucinda fired Steve and took her tapes to Roy Bittan of the E-Street Band. He completed the album with her.

Last edited:

Jacobpaul81

oh i was just suggesting for future tele or fender type guitars.
:)
Hopefully the only fender I ever need is my Tele. :) Though I wouldn't mind a Telecaster Custom with a Seth Lover....if I move my heritage and dano, I might start looking for one...:stir

Last edited:

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Yeah, I prefer the yellow side also & I actually prefer the way the old V2's used to operate where you switched from yellow to red. Like you I find that both sides on doesn't work for me. Things just start sounding to "pedally". I'm actually tempted to sell this one and pick up a V2.

This one is a high gain option version. Personally I wouldn't go that way again because you lose the flexibility to set either channel to any of the three KoT std sounds (boost/OD/Distortion) and I don't really need the extra gain. I had a v4 std version before. I'm actually gonna try switching the red side to what will be a slightly higher gain version of the boost (yellow channel) sound though and see what that sounds like.

Last edited:

Jay Wilson

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking about offing a few guitars that I don't use and doing a Telemaster build with just a bridge pup. I do finish work for fine cabinetry so I'm sure I could finish it on my own, but I'm thinking about having Mark Jenny do it in a very yellowed Ice Blue Metallic. Does anyone have any experience building their own guitar or using Mark as a resource?

erksin

I'm thinking about offing a few guitars that I don't use and doing a Telemaster build with just a bridge pup. I do finish work for fine cabinetry so I'm sure I could finish it on my own, but I'm thinking about having Mark Jenny do it in a very yellowed Ice Blue Metallic. Does anyone have any experience building their own guitar or using Mark as a resource?
CBread Nic just finished a Telemaster and it sounds frickin' awesome - you should shoot him an email at nicholas@catalinbread.com and ask him about the details. He did this REALLY cool wiring with a 4-way switch that just sounds phenomenal.

I recently finished my 'Erksquire' build and I'm completely hooked on the whole Esquire thing now. Had a jam with some friends this weekend and never missed the neck pickup.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
That's how he tells the story. But like most stories, no one will tell the truth. No different than the Tweedy/Bennett breakup. Lot of fibs in that story.

It's my understanding that Lucinda recorded the whole thing with Gurf and it was flat. They preformed the songs together back in 1994, long before the current version of Car Wheels was recorded. She shelved the tapes in 1995 and she and Gurf hit the road. She fired him sometime during this period and then she hired Steve Earle in 96-97 sometime to re-record the record. They brought in Ray Kennedy who loves the vintage gear and they tried producing an album with all the vintage sounds. Lucinda and Steve didn't get along to well and so Lucinda fired Steve and took her tapes to Roy Bittan of the E-Street Band. He completed the album with her.
Having all parties agree on the way to proceed with an album is really difficult at the best of times. Having played played together live for a long time and established a dynamic doesn't neccessarily help either because it will invariably change in the studio. In my experience it can actually make things even harder because one person will consider the songs to have "evolved" on the road to be studio ready whereas someone else will see the studio as a new start with everything subject to change.

It's also amazing how far people can proceed putting off the difficult discussions about money..royalties, points etc. All of a sudden things like that can become critical.

Prof.Fuzz

no Gurf Morlix love here?
he played on two of her most consistent and grand records, Sweet Old World and Car Wheels....
By far my favorite incarnation of LW's band.

And I'm a huge fan of Gurf's solo work. Getting better and better with each outing. The last two were lights out fantastic.

Having all parties agree on the way to proceed with an album is really difficult at the best of times. Having played played together live for a long time and established a dynamic doesn't neccessarily help either because it will invariably change in the studio. In my experience it can actually make things even harder because one person will consider the songs to have "evolved" on the road to be studio ready whereas someone else will see the studio as a new start with everything subject to change.

It's also amazing how far people can proceed putting off the difficult discussions about money..royalties, points etc. All of a sudden things like that can become critical.
Too true.

Jacobpaul81

Too true.

No doubt. That's true of anything, creative or otherwise. I feel this sort of dynamic in my day job. I can't imagine that sort of exchange over like 11 years in a creative environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics