• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Alt Country guys, teach me your tricks

Jay Wilson

I have been listening to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals lately and there are a few sweet little, electric guitar riffs on there that I need to figure out. Anyone have a few licks to practice or suggestions on scales to use, picking patterns, etc? Nothing too advanced. Just working my way up and need to enhance some acoustic songs I wrote. Thanks!

I have been listening to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals lately and there are a few sweet little, electric guitar riffs on there that I need to figure out. Anyone have a few licks to practice or suggestions on scales to use, picking patterns, etc? Nothing too advanced. Just working my way up and need to enhance some acoustic songs I wrote. Thanks!
Huge Ryan Adams fan here, just passing a few month phase of playing a boat-load of his tunes, listening to alot of shows, etc. There's alot to learn about songwriting from him, IMO. For the playing stuff, most of it is just pretty standard, pretty simple rock riffs and such playing with attitude.

Write some good tunes, drink alot of beer...

Is there any specific riff you need help with?

dewey decibel

I use to talk to his old guit player on another forum, good guy. A couple things I'd recommend;

Over a major key song getting in touch with the relative minor pentatonic (so if the song is in C playing lines based around an Amin pent shape).

Getting some lines together based on mixolydian shapes/patterns.

Learning double stops in intervals of 6ths.

Getting little licks that are based off chord shapes.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
My approach playing Alt-Country sorta stuff is to actually think chord shapes a lot of the time. If you work from chord inversions rather than the more scalar sort of approach all those little double note harmonies start to fall for you.

Also, try to think of melodic phrases that maybe be inspired by or a nice counterpoint to the vocal melody WITHOUT having your hands on the guitar it's a great cliche breaker.

Thirdly. Listen to other great guitarists from the genre and related genres. People who play melodies rather than licks. People who can accentuate in subtle ways as well as play big solos.

Jay Wilson

Is there any specific riff you need help with?
'My Heart is Broken' and 'Trains' from Jacksonville City Nights are two of the songs I am enjoying right now that I've yet to figure out the electric guitar parts. I'm a singer first, bass player second and I just really got into electric guitar recently. Acoustic comes much easier.

I use to talk to his old guit player on another forum, good guy. A couple things I'd recommend;

Over a major key song getting in touch with the relative minor pentatonic (so if the song is in C playing lines based around an Amin pent shape).

Getting some lines together based on mixolydian shapes/patterns.

Learning double stops in intervals of 6ths.

Getting little licks that are based off chord shapes.
Thanks! That really does help a lot to have some stuff to study and practice.

My approach playing Alt-Country sorta stuff is to actually think chord shapes a lot of the time. If you work from chord inversions rather than the more scalar sort of approach all those little double note harmonies start to fall for you.

Also, try to think of melodic phrases that maybe be inspired by or a nice counterpoint to the vocal melody WITHOUT having your hands on the guitar it's a great cliche breaker.

Thirdly. Listen to other great guitarists from the genre and related genres. People who play melodies rather than licks. People who can accentuate in subtle ways as well as play big solos.
Thanks. I'm a songwriter just looking to be able to play some Tele/Ric 12 to add to the song. Most of the time, my inability to play the instrument keeps my hands off the guitar. ;) I enjoy the Cardinals stuff because it's tasteful. There are no real big solos and I'm not a lead player so I'm not into that song. I just want to help my songs move along.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
'My Heart is Broken' and 'Trains' from Jacksonville City Nights are two of the songs I am enjoying right now that I've yet to figure out the electric guitar parts. I'm a singer first, bass player second and I just really got into electric guitar recently. Acoustic comes much easier.

Thanks! That really does help a lot to have some stuff to study and practice.

Thanks. I'm a songwriter just looking to be able to play some Tele/Ric 12 to add to the song. Most of the time, my inability to play the instrument keeps my hands off the guitar. ;) I enjoy the Cardinals stuff because it's tasteful. There are no real big solos and I'm not a lead player so I'm not into that song. I just want to help my songs move along.
Cool. Ultimately the songs are what it's all about!

rozonerecords

their live headier stuff is all based around jerry garcia style myxolidian riffs.
he really likes playing two note chords based on all the different positions of the myxolidian mode.
just pick up some of the riffs by ear and you'll quickly see they're all pretty similar in terms of his approach.
it's really fun to jam along with.

buddastrat

Throw open strings wherever possible along with hybrid picking and your on your way.

and get a compressor!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom