Altec Lansing speakers anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhoads157, Oct 12, 2005.

1. rhoads157

rhoads157 Member

Hello to all! Kind of a newbie here although I am usually on the PRS side.
    I bought an old Gibson G50 (?) amp at a garage sale recently that has an Altec Lansing model 417-8C dia cone speaker in it that is really in great shape. I jumped on the amp because of the speaker and the $5 price tag.
    I know that Altec makes good speakers and my idol Randy Rhoads used them in his Marshall cabs.
    I can not find any stats on this speaker other than it is an 8ohm and 12".
    Can someone please give me a history lesson on these and what it would be good for?
    I am thinking about building a cab for it but I am not sure what the wattage is and if it would be good for hard rock or metal.

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a fully functional Altec-Lansing 600-B Dia-Cone 12" 8 Ohm speaker right heresitting next to me.

Here are some nice pages:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/

The 417-8C appears to be one of their top-o-the-line speakers. My 600-B is a lower cost speaker but is only seen in the 1949 catalog! Hmmm :) Nice snag!

This was about as much as I could find myself and the 417-8C is featured in this catalog scan:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1972-mi/page04.jpg

417-8C - Later iteration:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1975-mi/page04.jpg

Here's the webpage itself:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/altec-cat.htm

They are great speakers ;)

Check out the prices back in 1967! $96 for a D120F and $120 for a D130F! Holy Moly!

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1967/mi-drivers.jpg

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

The 417 was designed to be a pretty flat and clean speaker and was certainly designed for musical instruments. You did well! If that speaker is fully functional, it is probably worth $200 to $300 on the general market ;)

4. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I own two late 60's Altec Lansing 418B 15" alnicos in an open and closed back cabs. Great guitar speaker by itself, but especially effective when mixed with 10's or 12's. Very smooth.

Scott L.

5. RedBeard

RedBeard Member

There's some good info here. I was looking for info on the 417-8C. I recently got one as well in a Peavey Pacer 1x12 I picked up at a yard sale for 10 bucks! I think when I was looking up info on it I read that Randy Rhoads used the 417-8H, the higher wattage version.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

I wish I had one or two of them laying around and you two make me mad with all these incredible steals!

Good snag!

7. pdouds

pdouds Member

What's the difference between the black magnets, and the silver ones? i have heard that the silver ones were oem replacements. The black magnets seem to go for a lot higher in price on ebay.

8. pdouds

pdouds Member

I just bought an Altec 417 8H and slapped in my cab. At first, i thought it was kind of muddy, but after getting used to it a bit, i am really liking the tone. I think what i perceived as "mud' was the alnico magnet, and should better be described as "warmth". It's great, because this speaker has no "icepick" sound, even with my strat. I can't wait to take it on a gig. I am using it with a Fuchs ODS50SLX , man what a combination!

9. davebc

davebc Member

For a while(a really long time ago) I was using a single 12" Lansing in a very early Boogie combo, very JBL-ish killer sounding speaker, loved it!

10. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

The 417-8C is a great speaker. Really punchy too! I had two of them loaded into a Pro Reverb that just put Super Reverbs to shame. Wish I still had them - sure don't miss the weight though. It sounded best when paired with a warmer sounding 50 watt Eminence 12". They complimented each other nicely.

11. pdouds

pdouds Member

yup, i agree with you, it is kind of "jbl-ish", but sounds better for rock, and the cleans don't appear quite a sterile sounding as the jbl's.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Supposed to be a fave of Santana.
    I used to use one in a DR. I recall a firm, loud tone with more of everything than the old original junk of the DR. But it also had an on-axis upper mid-punch that could be a bit harsh. Cuts through? Yup.

13. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Don't know about the 4178C, but I have a pair of 417B's. My fav speaker !!!
    Opened up a whole new sonic world for guitar to me. All those frequencies that are missing from other speakers. Love them.

14. einstein

einstein Member

i have 2 or 3 grey back alnico 12 that sound really great with old fenders, bright in a good way, never seen any others. great clean sound. what do the alnicos sell for now?

15. pdouds

pdouds Member

i got mine for $70 on ebay, it has the original cone, and sounds GREAT. I have tried a ton of eminence speakers, and only like the RWB.
    The altec is really unique sounding. The distorted tone is fabulous, my strat has never sounded better. The only thing, is i have to run the brite switch on my fuchs now with my archtop, but it sounds fine. Mine is missing the magnet cover, but i really don't care.

16. pdouds

pdouds Member

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, mine has the paper cone, not the aluminum.

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

A few years ago I bought a Peavey 4 x 12 cab for $400 because it had 4 Altec 417s in it. I was using one and it just quit working. I tried another hooked up to a few different amps and it seems to be good for Fendery stuff mostly. I put one in my Evans amp and my 70's EV sounds louder and more hi-fi. The Altecs can be a little wooly and indistinct on the low end and the aluminum dome can sound a little pingy. More neutral sounding that the JBL honk. I also have an Altec 10" but never have tried it in anything.

18. shakti

shakti Member

The 417-C is Carlos Santana's choice speaker since the early 70s, I believe. It's certainly a huge part of his sound around '73-'74, which is my favourite Santana era, both for music and tone!

Needless to say, I freakin' *love* those speakers!! I much prefer them to JBL D120s, which are somewhat close. But the Altecs sound a little sweeter, not as hoarse and raspy in the mids. Just super, super smooth yet clear. Beautiful compression at high volumes.

Original Boogie Mk I + Altec 417-C + Les Paul neck pickup = tonal nirvana!

19. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Code:
    Original Boogie Mk I + Altec 417-C + Les Paul neck pickup = tonal nirvana!
    :AOK