Altec Speakers?

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Please tell me about them. Specially the Altec Lansing 417-8c. Do you need a special speaker cable for these? I've noticed that these the EV's and JBL have different plugs.

Jeff Scott

Please tell me about them. Specially the Altec Lansing 417-8c. Do you need a special speaker cable for these? I've noticed that these the EV's and JBL have different plugs.

Bare ends go into the terminals so any speaker cable will work up the maximum gauge that can fit in them. Truly universal connections (so long as there are stripped ends on the cable).

mmorse

Had a pair of those for years. Put them in every amp I owned for a time. Many amps came and went but the speakers always stayed. Put them in an original Peavey Vintage 212 back in the mid seventies and later sold the amp with the speakers. Not the smartest thing I ever did.

billyguitar

I'm in KC. I have 4 of these, all with original cones, one is blown, all in great shape. I won't ship them but I would sell them if anyone's interested.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Altecs were my speaker of choice during the early 70's.

Great edge of breakup tone but they sounded best right before they blew.

Now I'm using EV SRO 12/Ls. Rated at 200 watts, these puppies don't blow and they're a little sweeter than the current EVM 12L.

soulohio

I beleive the Ampeg VT series used Altecs as an option in both the cabinets and 10 inchers in the combos like the VT40

amphog

They were upgrade speakers in Kustom amps, and the Ampeg V series. Let you use a single 4x12 with a V-4, without blowing speakers.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Altec 10's have to be one of the rarest speakers on the planet. I've never even seen one.

thebowl

I have for the past several months had the good fortune to be able to roll that Altec Lansing, a JBL D120F and a Cetec Gauss 12" speaker in and out of a couple of amps I own. All three are spectacular. I think the Lansing is actually the cleanest of the three, although it is real close. The Gauss is rated at 200 watts RMS, so it is the loudest, by a good margin. None are for sale, sorry to say.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
From what I've read they were the speakers on early Boogies and Dumbles?

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Now I'm using EV SRO 12/Ls. Rated at 200 watts, these puppies don't blow and they're a little sweeter than the current EVM 12L.

Ha! I had two of those in a '69 Twin Reverb back in '74.

Altec 10's have to be one of the rarest speakers on the planet. I've never even seen one.
I had a Altec 10" in a '69 Princeton Reverb back in the early 90's. I'm not sure of the model but it sounded great!

From what I've read they were the speakers on early Boogies and Dumbles?
Not sure about Dumble but the first Boogie's had a JBL; either a D120 or K120.

slavenoid

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Ampeg V4 bottom (with 4 x 12 417B Altecs) I bought in '70 to use with my new Marshall 50 Lead Head. (BTW, would that have been what you call a "plexi"? I am not up on Marshall anymore.) Anyway, the bottom was way too loud to use so I sold it almost right away. Through a weird circumstance I got the same bottom back (40 years later). Sounds incredible but too big to move. I was thinking of making a 2 x 12 using two of the speakers (these are 16 ohm). What do you guys think? I guess I could make two 2 x 12s and sell one to offset the cost of the cabs.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I used one for some time, years ago.
Kind of spiky with a lot of presence in the 2k+ region and a killer on axis beam to cut through band clutter and ears.
I like them, Sort of a more of everything speaker.

soulohio

I have an Ampeg V4 bottom (with 4 x 12 417B Altecs) I bought in '70 to use with my new Marshall 50 Lead Head. (BTW, would that have been what you call a "plexi"? I am not up on Marshall anymore.) Anyway, the bottom was way too loud to use so I sold it almost right away. Through a weird circumstance I got the same bottom back (40 years later). Sounds incredible but too big to move. I was thinking of making a 2 x 12 using two of the speakers (these are 16 ohm). What do you guys think? I guess I could make two 2 x 12s and sell one to offset the cost of the cabs.
no no no...that will never work. You should save yourself the expense and aggravation and just send the whole kit to me. I have a Crate V16-damn fine amp- that will solve all your problems that I can offer in trade. Or get with the rocket age and jump on the solid state bus and come in for the big win... those old tube amps are just so...old.

Trending Topics