Alternative effects for solos

Multicellular

Short version: What are some alternative effects you've used creatively to make a solo pop in a mix? I think time-based effects may be more the standard, plus of course a boost or other dirt for levels.

Long version: Working on a recording right now (but am posting in effects as I'll probably reamp it anyway) and the issue with my more go to 'make it sound biggerizing reverb or delay' is that the solo is over a part with two oddities. One - it alternates between very straight on the beat and very swung and syncopated. It also is 10 measures to a bar riff. tempo sync'd delays ended up sounding odd when it hits the syncopation. Two - the progression has some really prominent diminished chords and the solo isn't shy about them. So reverb of any length is trailing in a discordant way.

It sounds quite awesome in a way dry as it is, but it feels more right under your nose than big in a room like I am imagining it. The best thing I've gotten, playing around, is a very dense, but very short reverb.

But wondering about other ideas. Help me brainstorm.

Last edited:

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
You'll know it when you step on an MXR Blue Box, as long as the solo is confined to the middle of the neck. You could have similar fun with a Boss OC-2 and some other square wave fuzz/distortion if you need something less temperamental.

goose1441

Just throwing out a couple more out of the box options: envelope filter that's mostly open with a soft peak so it doesn't have that harsh peak sound but just gives a little extra something to the attack, a cocked wah, sub-octave and/or sub synth sound mixed in below the dry, something like a tape doubler that's more of a double tracked slightly warbly sound than slapback, a smooth delay that's not tempo synced to any part of the song, a double delay with one tempo synced and one not and/or synced to part B, a short single reverse delay kind of in a reverse reverb style, or give the rest of the mix a slight flange to pull it back so the guitar's in your face up front.

Boring answers: comp, phaser, flange, chorus, boost mids, less gain more volume, double track the solo.

Multicellular

Again, great ideas. I appreciate each and every one of you. You got me thinking and at least for the rough mix, I've gone with:
  • a sequenced resonant band pass filter
    • but only on the clean DI signal into
    • a short but very dense early reflection reverb
  • I left the original amped fuzz version he gave me alone and
  • mixed the filtered DI track low enough that
    • it provides low sine wavy fundamentals when the filter is low which are not really noticeable in the mix unless you're listening for them but
    • when the filter goes high, it pokes out
Overall it has this effect on me like the sound is causing membranes or strings in the room to resonate sympathetically.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
lately i've loved setting my deluxe memory man to what i call "scotty moore mode" with a nice slapback and a little grit. the preamp has a little fatness to it (and can have a volume boost if set that way) which makes it nice for solos.

Top Bottom