Alternative effects for solos

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
mikustomp.jpg

Trick Fall

I'm not much of a soloist, but lately I've really been enjoying layering in a pad sound from the Boss SY-200. I'm not using it as overt synth sound. I have it mixed where you kind of need to listen for it, but you know when it's not there.

Copy the solo into two more tracks, pan one left and one right. Tune one up 8 to 10 cents and the other down 8 to 10 cents. Then delay one by 15ms and the other by 25ms. Or you can get an Eventide Micropitch pedal which can do the same thing.

Paulstarr

Steer away from wah,Phaser,envelope filter,univibe and any kind of effect that resembles wah its pop at the end of the day.
chorus ,detune or harmonizer is the name of the game add some delay and reverb and you should be good to go

hippieboy

Some ideas and clips to show how I use them

This is my favorite a pitch shifter on/off/on at discretion, used to give the impression of more notes, a different type of phrasing and a choppy lead quality, which I like a lot:

A more classic sound, just some good old envelope filter

Octave up full wet, a wavy sound with a very particular character.

Using Chase Bliss Brothers + Condor + Tonal recall, mainly the trick for the sound is using Condor kinda like a tremolo, and making sure to time your pick so your attack its removed and it gives you this bowed string feel.

I hope this helps a bit!

Never underestimate the power of slapback echo. It seems your problem of tapped delays and reverbs trailing awkwardly over the chord changes would be solved by reducing the delay time to a slapback setting.

Top Bottom