Alternative to a Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wleeds, Jun 6, 2006.

1. wleeds

wleeds Member

I just bought a Fender DRRI. Not bad but now I'm hooked on getting an older Deluxe. BF or early Silver face. The problem is they are getting sooooo expensive around here. What is the next best thing? 6v6's, 20-25 watts.
    Victoria, Allen, Carr...?
    thanks,
    mark

It's nice to have tgp back

2. randy morser

randy morser Member

fender deluxe instead of a fender deluxe reverb. those w/out reverb are not as expensive. i love my deluxe.

3. Robertito

Robertito Member

I tell pretty much everyone this, but the Allen Accomplice is one of the nicest sounding amps I've ever heard. If you want to check out the sound of mine, go to --

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/roberttye

Good luck!

4. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Carr Rambler, a great amp...you can find them used in the $1300.00 to $1400.00 range.

Also Goodsell Claremont 17...another great amp...PTP wiring, 17 watts, 1-12"...there's one on Ebay right now for $1395.00.

5. Esquire

Esquire Member

Is a Deluxe Reverb Reissue out of the question? I'm fortunate to have an original '65 Deluxe Reverb but am convinced the difference between an original and reissue isn't worth the addition $1000+. Granted there's always the bragging rights of owning an original but if a reissue is good enough for Duke Robillard it's most likely good enough for just about everyone else.

6. brianf

brianf Member

I agree 110%. My DRRI sounds as good as an original that I borrowed for about a week.

brianf

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Fargen Blackbird. I was on the same quest, but I wanted a little more clean headroom and volume, so I went with his 4x6v6 30 watt version. He also makes 20 watt, 2x6v6 version and a 2x6L6 40 watt version.

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

A Tone King Comet or Meteor - they come in 20 & 40 watt flavors with 6V6s.

Of course, no currently made amp has the collector's value & appeal of a preCBS DR - the prices keep rising. However, if you popped for one, you'd be crushed if you blew a speaker or a transformer, or had to replace the electrolytics. Mucho importante for a collector, not an issue for a player.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Agreed......this is a very good amp for Fender cleans and beyond!

10. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Never played one. Most likely never will. But I certainly did
    enjoy your tone in those tracks. Especially liked your playing.
    Congrats.

11. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

Silverface Deluxe Reverb - great amps, even without mods. Easily modded to sound more blackish - presently available on the 'bay for way less than $1,000. Drop in a different speaker and the amp can morph in any of several different directions. I love my '74 - totally cured me of GAS for any other amp in this class.

12. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I really like my Rambler. Much more versatle than a Deluxe.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I'll echo this...I'm really please with my 78 DR (pull boost & all!)...sounds sweet, and still well under $1000. It will likely appreciate, as well. Some of the other boutiques mentioned above get a bit pricier. I'd say look into a used Allen Accomplice for somehting close & reasonable. (mild spam: I have an Old Flame for sale which can be set up with 6V6s) :)
    Greg

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

How about the Gries 20 watt with 6v6? I'd really like to try that. Did plug into an Allen Accomplice recently. Really didn't like it; perhaps I was reacting to the particular celestion speaker, whatever it was. The Tone King 20 is a strong contender in this category too.

15. mprvise

mprvise Member

Bruno CT22! Not cheap by any means, but it's the best sounding Deluxe I've ever heard. :AOK

16. hasserl

hasserl Member

Robert, I really love your music. Your Living cd is one of my favorites. I absolutely love the tones you get. If that's an Accomplice you were using, than that is great advice for wleeds.

I was going to advise he may want to try a Princeton Reverb for a slightly different take on a similiar platform. Upgrade the OT to a Deluxe OT from Allen Amps and install a 12" driver, I would suggest a 12F150 from Weber VST. The end result is close to the DR, but the cathodyne PI gives it a different flavor, less headroom w/ a bit of 5E3 crunch.

But compared to that Accomplice, well, it's gonna be hard to beat that.

17. Phil M

Phil M Member

I agree with Robertito.

Don't f around. Get the Allen. I am falling head over heels in love with my Old Flame. The master and raw control are key enhancements as far as I'm concerned. It will do what your friend's Deluxe will do and then some.

18. retro

retro Member

19. VanStone

VanStone Member

Another +1. I love my Allen Accomplice Jr. I have mine loaded with 6L6's.

V

20. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I played through an Old Flame that sounded great. I'm also a big fan of Victoria amps. Since I got my 45410 (Bandmaster clone), my Shiva and MAZ 18 don't get much attention. My Vicky 35310 is fantastic too. I'm sure that Mark's DR clone is amazing. His Fender tweed amps are dead nuts copies of the originals. Just another great option.