Alternative to a gibson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Geetar_Will, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

I've been a fender player for years now, but I've always had my eye on les pauls, SGs and other famous models with humbuckers specifically.

Are there some cheaper alternatives out there for those of us who don't want to spend over 1000$ on a guitar? There must be...

Can you guys suggest some brands to look into?

Thanks

2. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I bought a Heritage 140 with a beautiful flamed burst top for 600 bucks once! Hated the body after a short time... I am impulsive and eBay is NOT my friend... super awesome guitar though and I hope someone out there is playing the crap out of that thing now!
    I would say Heritage can be a reasonable choice. Hamer sometimes too. Heres the one I think people often over look, GODIN! But, if you gotta have reasonably priced clones of those famous models and still want American, I think Heritage or Hamer are good options. Used of course.

Edit: Gadow's new series can be had for extremely awesome prices... more like Godin's though, not really clones...

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Heritage, Carvin, Edwards, Gretsch, Tokai... lots of choices out there.

4. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I can only speak to Edwards.. I (along with most but not all on this forum) think that their LPs are a great alternative to Gibson at a fraction of the price. Many, many posts about them here.

5. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

6. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

A used Guild Bluesbird can be had for under $1k. It's lighter than a Gibson as well.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i have an edwards and an epi elitist and they both sound great. I have lots of clips of them on my product demos page. Check out the clip that Frankie Starr just posted in the member soundclips section of his epi SG. It's just the cheap model though he did put WCR pickups in it. Sounds unbelievable.

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

There are lots of alternatives, but in the end it won't be a Gibson LP. For under $1000 you can get a very nice used LP Studio or a new Faded Series LP.

If you want an SG, the Gibson SG Classic is under $1000 and a great guitar in its own right.

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Ha, I just posted my current experience with my Hamer Artist (got in a great deal from a fellow TGP'er). I too am a "Fender" guy but I had to try something on the Gibby side for a change. I'm extremely happy so far - it's the best sounding guitar in the house. Hamer USA guitars used can be had for under $1K, but they run the gamet. Here is my post about the guitar:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=417880

Here are clips I did earlier today using the AxeFX with all sorts of different amp sims to give you an idea of flexibility:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=417787

I think others will chime in with some great ideas for you -- I highly recommend trying a Gibby-style on for size. Here is the guitar in question:
    [​IMG]

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'd defy anyone to hear the diff between my edwards or my epi and a real gibson LP. My clips speak for themselves. :D

11. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would look into a Japanese guitar from the 80's.

New. I would look at a Michal Kelly Patriot, a Washburn Idol, or even some of the Schecter models. These guitars have upgrades over the standard les paul, but still retain the basic formula. Mahogany with a maple cap, set neck, dual humbuckers, 3way dual vol dual tone.

Agile from Rondo music makes a decent entry level guitar as well.

Keep in mind many guitars with a few hardware and electronics upgrades can be made to sound very good. Just try to get the most resonant model of a decent les paul type, and upgrade it the exact way you want it.

That being said also keep an eye out for a nice used Gibson. You can find some of the faded series guitars used for about $500. Again with some minor upgrades you can have a well playing guitar as long as its cut from a decent slab of wood.

dk

12. karmadave

karmadave Member

I own a couple of Japanese-made Tokai Love Rocks. Swapped the electronics and they play/sound as good as any Gibson I've owned...

-KD

13. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

A wealth of knowledge.. Thanks a lot guys.

14. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

+1 on a used Hamer. Monoco's are going between a thousand and $1350. Studios and Specials range from $600 -$1000. Can't beat a FM special in my opinion.

15. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

These are excellent guitars. I could have had one identical to this with a bunch of dings but brand new for a really good price a few years ago... I'm so impulsive otherwise but didnt do it there... what the heck!

16. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

like JZ says,you probably will not hear the diff.

17. rcl

rcl Member

Thread crossing here, but I just picked up a yamaha for chump change. Weddington. Think LP with a better neck carve and more pup sound options. It will bench my R9, Slash sig and both customs. It's lighter than all of them as well. Lot's of cool alternatives out there. Gibbys are wonderful, but after finding the weddington (fairly rare) I am wondering what else i have missed over the years.

18. kherman

kherman Member

RCL, if you like the Weddington design you may want to also look at the higher end Aria Pro PE models and for used Dean EVO Premium models (Czech made).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of the guys at the dean forum's collection.

19. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Used Hamer Specail Fm, Epiphone g400.

20. larimar

larimar Member

:AOK A used Gibson is the way to go if you want some Gibson sound and feel.