alternative to Crate Powerblock?

DrSax

Looking for something similar to the discontinued PB. Something on the small side, but plenty of power (PB had 150 watts), solid state, nice platform for pedals....

any ideas?

edit: I realize I can buy a used PB, but looking for variations on a theme....

Humancapo

The Powerblock was pretty much one of a kind. Five pounds, responsive preamp, Class D power, Switching power supply (will work anywhere on the planet), stereo/mono operation, speaker compensated output, stereo effects loop and a gig bag... there was a hole and it filled it.

no1yuno

Gallien Krueger has a very small bass amp that sounds great with guitar.
It has more power than the Power Block since it's for bass but it has more tone controls and actually sounds more like a real amp. I plan to replace my PB with it. I can't recall what it's called. Check out the website.

Moctzal

Gallien Krueger has a very small bass amp that sounds great with guitar.
It has more power than the Power Block since it's for bass but it has more tone controls and actually sounds more like a real amp. I plan to replace my PB with it. I can't recall what it's called. Check out the website.
GK MB500 yes?

Deaj

The Powerblock was pretty much one of a kind. Five pounds, responsive preamp, Class D power, Switching power supply (will work anywhere on the planet), stereo/mono operation, speaker compensated output, stereo effects loop and a gig bag... there was a hole and it filled it.

Very true. Wish they had not discontinued the PB.

I went the other direction as per the OP. I was looking for a backup to the ZT Lunchbox when someone turned me on to the Powerblock.

Now the Powerblock is my main amp with the Lunchbox acting as my backup!

DrSax

I went the other direction as per the OP. I was looking for a backup to the ZT Lunchbox when someone turned me on to the Powerblock.

Now the Powerblock is my main amp with the Lunchbox acting as my backup!
Bingo, i think that's the winner. The ZT Lunchbox. More expensive than I was hoping, however. You like the PB better? How is the Lunchbox with pedals?

Bingo, i think that's the winner. The ZT Lunchbox. More expensive than I was hoping, however. You like the PB better? How is the Lunchbox with pedals?
I like the Powerblock over the Lunchbox for higher gain applications which is what I've been doing more of lately.

The Lunchbox takes most pedals very well. I found (like most solid state amps) that germanium and silicon based fuzz pedals don't sound as good as the transistor overdrive/distortion pedals. The gain on the amp is more in line with a light overdrive. I've used the amp with the gain all the way up for a garage rock jam and it sounded great. Turning the gain down and using a pedal didn't quite achieve the same raw, raunchy tone.

For clean tones, I love the 'Box. I've used it with an electric saz, digital tanpura, electric guitar and electric sitar. I've also used it at various gigs and jams with great success on its own. For some reason, while running a 4x12 cabinet, the back of the amp gets very hot. A 2x12 doesn't prove to be an issue, but the 4x12 did. Strange.

Check around at GC or at the Emporium and make sure you get the 3rd Generation of the 'Box. The first two versions have a knob labeled "reverb", but the newer ones have it labeled as "ambience". There are significant differences between the versions than just a re-labeling of the reverb. I have a thread on here that goes through my escapades with the amp.

Hope this helps!

jimfog

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
They really ought to bring the PowerBlock back into production. I'd get one as my backup. I know I can buy used, but I'll probably go the EHX Cailber 22 route since it's cheaper and even smaller (especially for just backup use).

ToneGrail

+1 on the ehx 22 Cal. I used it for the first time at a gig last night and it has more clean volume than my Powerblock.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the ehx 22 Cal. I used it for the first time at a gig last night and it has more clean volume than my Powerblock.
For real? You've played both to confirm? If that's true, then I'm definitely picking a Caliber 22 up as my backup.

Trending Topics