Alternative to Fender Vibrolux

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I played one of these amps a while back and loved it. It was one of the newer reissues. Is there anything similar that I should try if I'm interested in this amp? Something in the same price range, sound, and weight? Thanks!!

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Yeah, try the real thing....the reissue isn't really a reissue. You should be able to find a silverface for not too much more.

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    SF not the real thing either the 62 63 transition brown to black Yowsuh Yowsuh Yowsuh

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Except for that pesky little "same price range" request....:D

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

oops my bad

Encore looks real good then.

for brown sound trem hot fudge with nuts

Zipa dee do dah If you can get a SF with a real wood cab in the 1500 and under price

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

If you get the Encore it has "brown era trem" already. Killer Amp.

8. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

The reissue sounds great!

9. mbratch

mbratch Member

The modern Fender Custom Vibrolux (the un-reissue) also uses a bias-varied (brown era) trem, unlike its vintage blackface ancestor (which uses an optocoupler). You can find them pretty inexpensive used (around $600 give or take). The other key difference is the CVR doesn't have a global negative feedback loop like the BFVR, so it's got more of a "raw" sound, less headroom. I imagine one could add an NFB resistor and get a bit closer to a classic BFVR sound perhaps.

10. Crikey

Crikey Member

I am one of the unwashed who thinks the modern CVR sounds pretty cool, PCB and all. If I see a used one for $600 in good condition, I'll be pretty interested.

Dig what I hear about the vintage ones, and Allens, as well!

Crikey

11. Donbo

Donbo Member

I checked out a super clean '74 SFVR yesterday, even has original vinyl cover with original owner's old, discolored address card in the little luggage card holder thingy...and yes, they want $1500 for it. I dunno, I would ultimately like to have a Blackface VR to go along with my '66 Super, but don't want to spend that kind of money with a kid going off to college this fall.... and these elevated prices for Silverface amps are hard to swallow. You guys think SF prices going to keep going up? Not trying to derail your thread...appreciate your opinions :bow

12. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

I recently picked up a BF Vibro for 1500$. It's not in the greatest condition but in comparison is fairly clean to some of them out there. You can find deals on the BF ones....but....

I think SF prices are up...and will continue to go up because they are so similar to the BF ones... With a few changes in the components you can turn a SF into a BF and have a great amp for way less money.

13. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

In Australia the silverface means nothing. CBS era stuff is nearly just as expensive as some blackface stuff. There's a Vibrolux SF on eBay Australia right now and the seller wants $2500 AU for it. Take into account that the Australian dollar buys around 90-94 US cents. I've seen SF Twins listed for around the same price and they can sell for up to $3000. I'm certain that sf gear will increase in price as those excluded from the bf market place more demand on sf gear - which will encourage sellers to jack up the prices, 'cause they know they can. This has already happened in Australia as we have less vintage Fender gear in circulation.

14. puddinstone

and...not to derail the tread...

Don't the RI Vibroluxes have design issues....? It seems to me the few I've heard have a hum or buzz.

15. mbratch

mbratch Member

I haven't heard of a hum or buzz in a CVR due to design issues. Some may have a hum or buzz due to a bad component or other problem specific to that particular amp. I've only tried a CVR once, in a GC store, and it sounded pretty good. Fairly clean, hum-free, and stinking loud. :)

16. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Not exactly the same amp, but the Brown Vibroverb RI is actually pretty good too (once you swap those cheap speakers out).

17. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Nah man you're not alone!! I'm with ya!! I think they sound great and most of the cats here listen with their eyes rather than their ears. Those amps sound great!!

18. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Besides the slight Difference in Circuitry the SF Cab just dosent Boom shaka Laka like the early transition or BF Vibrolux. Thats where the custom shop job make the leap I've seen these at 12 -1700 tamales and IMO its a better amp then the late SF 75's after the pull boost was added and stapled cabinets out of crap wood was SOP.

Another great 90's Amp thats a deal is one of Pete Townsends fav's the Vibro King which has an extention cab available I've seen matched sets on TGP for 2200 or less

19. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Not really a hum or a buzz, but because they don't have a negative feedback loop, there's a little more background, white noise, or hiss compared to other amps. However, the trade off benefit is that they're incredibly touch sensitive amps.

With good responsive amps, you can do a lot with the guitar volume knob, but these amps just take it a step further - it's amazing the different dynamics you can get just with pick attack.

20. puddinstone

Yeah, I think that's what I was thinking of...the extra hiss.