Alternative to George L for Pedalboard Patch Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Johnny Raz, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

Hi -

I really really really tried to like George L cables for my pedalboard, but with setting up, tearing down, and re-arranging my pedalboard, I would make the connections loose and then waste rehearsal time trying to troubleshoot which cable was disconnected.

So... I do not own a soldering iron and I'd like to buy some patch cables that have right end plugs and are reliable.

Any suggestions for good / high quality pedal patch cables for my rig?

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Check out LavaMan's stuff.

ELC = $19
    Sommer = $17
    George L = $12
    Canare = $10

I use the Sommers and I'm very happy. Going to order a few more after my board increases.

3. reverber8

reverber8 Member

Yo Johnny Raz

Geo L's here too althou maybe not as problematic as your experiences with them. I had some problems at 1st but not since I started using a coax cutter (for lack of better term). It has curved blades which don't flatten the cable out when you cut it. I just reconfig'd and rewired my pedalboard just last week w/ 12 interconnect and they all worked fine. No shorts at all. However, I haven't gigged it yet. That's alway the real litmus test and when the opportunity for failure is the greatest.

I've hear good things about the LavaMan stuff. Planet Waves has some stuff out too but I haven't heard any feedback on them.

Beach Park, IL?!?! My bass player lives there and I'm down here in Schaumburg. We record and rehearse in Highland Park. I checked out your website - refreshments and dada - way cool!!! 2 of my very favorite bands!!

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have some George L cables put together by LavaCable patch cables that are great. I have an 8' RA-RA ELC cable that's really nice, too, but may switch to Zaolla (sp?) that he is using now, it is not much more expensive.

Great guy, TGP member, guitarist... highly recommended.

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I switched to the Planet Waves cables.
    Much sturdier and a little better sound quality, IMO.

6. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

Check out the Bill Lawrence cable kit. It doesn't have right angle plugs but they are so small that they actually don't take up any more room than the Planet Waves right angle ends. Simple to terminate also. Low capacitance cable.

7. atalog

atalog Member

I second Bill Lawrence. Awesome!

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+2 on the Bill Lawrence cable.
    I've been using mine for a year with no problems.

Haven't heard of ANY of the failure problems commonly associated with George L's attributed to the Bill Lawrence's.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Connector_Cable.htm

If you get 'em, specify the 'short plugs' for your pedalboard... the pic on the page is a 'Long' plug.

-Ben

9. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Lava Cable all the way. Mark solder's his George L connections. I've been using Lava Cable George L's for a long time with no problems whatsoever. It's usually the DIY folks that cut the cable themselves and use solderless plugs that get themselves into trouble.

10. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

Thanks for the feedback -- this is great!

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Anyone know the specs of the Planet Waves cable??