Alternative to Mbox?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Pointbreakd, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

Ok so i'm getting a Powerbook, and I'm looking for an alternative to the Mbox for Protools. I really want 4 Inputs and 4 preamps. Is there any way to obtain this with the Mbox or is there something else out there that is similar but has more inputs?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Look at one of the various firewire interfaces. The 192k m-audio interfaces are supposed to be much improved and are PT approved. If you're open to other software, something like the Presonus firepod. Or if the budget allows, a RME fireface would give very nice results.

3. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

nope gotta be protools. I love it and I know how to use it. I guess what I like about the MBox is that it has preamps and everything...just seems simple.

Maybe I'd be better off with an M-audio interface and a pre-amp box?

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

There's the Digi 002.

5. muddy

muddy Member

yeah, but that's hardly portable. you'd think digi'd keep up with the times, FOR A CHANGE, & either upgrade the mbox's usb to v2.0, or add a bloody firewire port! anyway, at the moment, the only portable solution that doesn't force you to use the 2 cans & a string method would be maudio's firewire alternatives. mind you, i'm not sure that the "m-powered" version of pro-stools is up to what you're used to getting with le. and it doesn't come bundled with the maudio interfaces; you have to buy them seperately. oddly enough, the price for p-stools jumps up to $300.

ml

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I was thinking of the 002 rack, which is only two spaces, has 8 in, 8 out and sounds great.

There are smaller M-Audio interfaces with fewer I/O but I can't recommend them because I don't know how good they sound.

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

8. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

wait the Mbox is USB? Does that mean it is slower or will affect my ability to record. I'm used to using the digi 002. but was hoping the purchase of a mbox could do something similar for recording guitar/bass/vocals?

Am I wrong?

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

MBox is USB. The lowest amount of latency it has is 256 samples, which is very slightly audible. 002's lowest latency setting is 128 samples, which I find inaudible.

10. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

The MBox also does have that mix knob that will let you adjust zero-latency monitoring...

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

This is from the other Mbox thread, which this one is starting to sound very similar to:

Other Mbox thread

Hey... I thought you already got an Mbox? Why another Mbox thread? All the Mbox alternatives are listed on the Digidesign web site, and if you have any questions, why not ask them directly?

If you are used to using the Digi 002, then why not get one? Skip the Mbox because it's not going to have all the same features and functionality of the 002.

If the 002 is out of your budget, then look at some of the M-Powered solutions or get the Mbox. It sounds like you want to use ProTools, so there are really no other options.

12. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

Wow. Good detective work there big guy. I did start two threads, this one died awhile ago, but yes they resulted in the same outcome...Mbox.

I was looking for opinions and experiences and I recieved them. Thanks.

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I know how exactly that feels!

We all work hard for our money and I personally need to feel certain that the piece of gear I get will do the job well before I lay down the cash!

I had the opportunity to upgrade to the 002 Rack, but with my set-up, I really wouldn't have benefited much. Spend the money on more plug-ins! :D

14. marklyn

marklyn Member

Check out Metric Halo stuff.
    http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/
    The 2882 has 4 preamps and 4 balanced 1/4inch inputs.
    The ULN 2 has 2 high quality preamps onboard and can accept 2 more channels of digital input for 4 ins at a time.

I've got the ULN 2 and it's been a great sounding unit. I had the MOTU 828 before that and this was a noticable upgrade.

15. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

yah, but thats not PT.

I did get the M-box, but I wonder if Digidesign is coming out with a firewire or usb 2.0 verision....seems like they are phasing out the current mbox.

which is why you can buy one so cheap.

16. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

A firewire Mbox... that would be cool!