• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Alternative to Range Master/Treble Booster

aziltz

Are there any circuits that have the frequency response (treble boost) of a rangemaster type circuit with out the harsh gain/clipping characteristics?

Perhaps something a bit smoother, but still cable of making a Tele scream through a low gain overdrive?

Willdance

I didn't dig treble boosters the first times with them. And I wanted to. I finally attained enlightenment after some patience and abandonment of what I thought all my knobs should do. There is some serious interaction going on between the tb, your pickups, pots, cables and amp's front end. I fumbled and listened until it was dialed. I found that some amps and pickups just don't work with a tb. When the **** is dialed, however, treble boosters are the proverbial key to the rock and roll kingdom. There is no alternative ;-)

to actually answer your question, though, the mi audio blue boy deluxe actually let's you shape something in the realm of those frequencies. that's why it's the only chip based od I still have. very sweet.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Not that I know of...truth is I don't find a TB harsh at all...granted they are not plug and play effects for a lot of situations but my Beano has become a main stay on my board! It's great for pushing my amp if I can crank or for pushing my KoT if I can't crank!

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Check out the Swart Atomic BOost. Super lush and a little squishy. He offers a mid and full boost only which you will find far more useful than a true treble boost if you are using a modern amp and cable. SOunds great into a driven amp or into an OD like my OCD.

aziltz

to clarify a little,

i'm using a BBE Freq Boost, and I like the sound, its totally usable, i run it into either my liquid sunshine or double drive, or both, BUT, its not the tone that I thought it would be. I'm aiming for springsteen's late 70's solo tone (Cranked Bassman, Tele Bridge, Slapback), and I think I'd have it if I could dial down the character that the Freq Boost imparts a bit, but still retain the biting treble boost.

Are there any circuits that give you more control over the bias and gain?

Check out Plumb Crazy FX The Squawk. Has a fuzziness that mellows out the top end and makes it smoother. Gearmanndude does a demo of it on youtube and it's pretty spot on.

aziltz

the dam red rooster has some kind of cap mixer on the input with a pot labeled range, but that controls the frequency center of the boost. it be sweet if there was a circuit that could dial in/out the grit that the rangemaster adds.

i might have to make this myself!

erksin

You can do it with a C-Bread VariOboost with the gain set to unity. I've A/Bd it to my Crispy Cream Treble Booster and it hits the same freqs.

You might drive your preamp tubes into a mild clip though since its a pretty pronounced mid bump - rolling back the volume on the pedal a little will kill that clipping.

imguitardan

I know I sound like a broken record but a Treble Booster is my favorite effect but can't really use it often (because of the same reasons as the OP). The best pedal that is thick and has a lot of versatility in the gain is the Skreddy Screwdriver (just an AMAZING pedal) and it's got some sort of connection to a TB...

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
A synthesis of clean boost, overdrive, and distortion
One of the most touch-sensitive pedals ever, this unique Skreddy Pedals design features a mosfet treble-boost input stage followed by a highly modified, tightly-controlled, hybrid fuzz circuit.
Every aspect of the Screw Driver™ has been optimized for maximum versatility, lush and controllable vintage 'dirt' voicing, noiseless performance, and ideal tonal balance.
Inspire yourself!

http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_screwdriver.htm

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The other pedal that's similar but more focused and like a light-med OD is my white Lovepedal Eternity (I bet the current white E6 is similar)[/FONT]

aziltz

You can do it with a C-Bread VariOboost with the gain set to unity. I've A/Bd it to my Crispy Cream Treble Booster and it hits the same freqs.

You might drive your preamp tubes into a mild clip though since its a pretty pronounced mid bump - rolling back the volume on the pedal a little will kill that clipping.

interesting... I'll need to check that out. On a side note, I can't wait to get my hands on a DLS!

I also just though of the Diamond Boost Eq, with the tilt Eq, does anyone use it for treble boost?

Trending Topics