Alternative to Zoom video recorders?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MikeNiteRail, Feb 23, 2015.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I have a Zoom H4n. I'd like a $100 to $200 video recorder to pair with it. I found the Zoom Q3 and Q3hd struggled with low light.

All I want are some decent to watch YouTube vids of a duo project playing live. Any suggestions? I don't mind syncing audio if I have to. Thanks!

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

i've tried all the zoom units and low light is a huge issue.

canon hfm50 series camcorder. not found for $200 though. best low light performance for the price.

canon hfr series are also better than the zoom units but can get grainy in really low light.

hfm series are as low as .1 lux
    hfr series are .4 lux
    both units have mic in adjustments and ext mic options. the stereo condenser mics are pretty good though. just don't expect a good amt of low freq unless you use a decent ext mic.

hfr series can go under $200 on a used market.

hfm series will be a bit higher.

with the zooms you really need to light up the stage and have moderate front facing lights on the performers.

many bands light the stage and performers from behind which is not good for video at all. if you use multi lights from the side of stage (especially led) try not to use colors unless you want a 2 tone effect on the performers.

dslr's are also an option but you have to find one with adjustable mic settings and a stereo mic input for better quality mics.

3. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

All inexpensive cameras struggle with low light, it's the nature of the beast. Low light performance requires a high performance sensor coupled to a fast lens with powerful in-camera processing.

When I put up my Zoom Q4 vs a Sony HDR-MV1 music camera I'd give a slight edge to the Sony, but the real winner was my iPhone 6 Plus:

If you do decide to bust the budget and go for a system camera, don't get sucked into the DSLR meme. The real goto system cameras for video are the mirrorless shooters like the Panasonic G series, Sony A6000 and such, and the top of the Samsung NX range. The bargain camera in this set is the Lumix G6, which has audio level control, stereo mic input, focus peaking, and shot length limited only by battery and card capacity. Pair this camera with a fast lens and you'll get some low light performance and high quality video.

Fran

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

none of that for $200-300