Alternatives to '61 RI SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by megatonic, Feb 12, 2012.

1. megatonic

megatonic Member

Kind of an odd question, but I've been jonesing for the '61 RI SG.
    In the line-up of SG's the ratings are great, and the price is about mid-range.
    I was looking at the budget models: the 60's tribute, the faded classic, etc. but reviews were a little weak.

Are here any good alternatives to the 61 RI? Maybe a little cheaper?

2. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Member

I have a 61 SG reissue. Great guitar for me. Nice thin neck. I also have a Les Paul faded doublecut. Similar thin neck, a little bit rounder, great fret access. To me this is a great alternative to an SG. This has become my go to guitar. The P90's might not be your cup of tea, though.

[​IMG]

3. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

P90's are the best pickup ever invented....period.....I've got a 63' SG Special with a single P90 pickup....my most favorite guitar ever...

4. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

specials came with two pickups. is it a JR?

5. airportbar

airportbar Member

6. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

The 60s Tributes are really great guitars. I don't know that they're necessarily a replacement for a regular SG, though. They're kind of their own thing. If that works for you, I'd definitely check one out.

Here's the thing about reviews on budget guitars, you are almost always going to get an incredibly mixed bag The more money people spend on something, the more likely they are to praise it because they want to feel good about their purchase. However, in the budget range, you're going to get a lot of people who expect a Ferrari for a Honda price. That's why I always take reviews with a grain of salt.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a Classic and a Standard. Both great guitars, and to me better than the 61. I don't really care for the skinny neck on the 61, and the one I had was very neck heavy. I had two fadeds and they were a significant step down from the Standards. You can pick up a used classic for $700 and a used Standard for $800 any day of the week. Doesn't make sense to get the faded stuff when the better models are available so inexpensively on the used market.

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

9. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

i like the brown. so tempted even though I already have a 61

10. spengebab

spengebab Member

11. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

If I ever get an SG, it will have the small pickguard, so I'd really like one of these in red. I started liking those when Clapton was playing one in Cream.

12. Marble

Marble Member

You can sometimes find used '61 RI SGs for right around $1k give or a take $100

if thats too much, used classics go for $700. If you don't want p90s (they kick ass especially Gibson p90s), sell the pickguard and pups and buy a new pg and HBs (probably some 500k pots as well)

13. mignano

mignano Supporting Member

I've heard that the SG Classics are routed for P90's under the pickguard, so in order to put buckers in a Classic you'd have to route it. Thats just what I've heard though, not sure.

14. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I'm assuming you mean a little cheaper than the $1,999 sticker price.
    Get a used Custom Shop SG Standard. Incredible guitars worth as low as $1,500 on the used market.

15. narwhale

narwhale Member

Have you played one? The necks are pretty different from the rest of the SG line. I happen to like mine (it's quite shallow but the width keeps it from feeling too small for me), but I know a lot of people don't. You might find you prefer the feel of one of the others. I don't think there would be much difference in the sound of a 61 and a Standard with 57 Classics. You might also try looking for a Japanese clone, such as an Orville or Epiphone Elitist.