• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Alternatives to a DL4

mayer95

Long story short, my DL4 was doing okay and suddenly broke...according to a friend of mine who works on pedals, it would be easier/almost as expensive to buy a new one instead of fixing this one.
While thinking about it, I really wasn't a huge fan of it in the first place. Can I get some suggestions for an alternative to it?

I know there's a huge amount of delay threads, making this one repetitive of previous posts (pun intended), but I'd really like a straight forward answer instead of searching hundreds of posts.

3LittleBirds

What do you play? What do you need out of delay?

As far as programmable delays with presets go, you're talking Strymon Timeline, Eventide Timefactor, TC Nova stuff, and line 6 m9. But of you give us more information we might be able to thin the herd for you.

mayer95

What do you play? What do you need out of delay?

As far as programmable delays with presets go, you're talking Strymon Timeline, Eventide Timefactor, TC Nova stuff, and line 6 m9. But of you give us more information we might be able to thin the herd for you.
I play a little of everything...mostly consists of Post-Rock/Ambient, Worship, Blues, and a little Pop/Rock...so yeah, everything but Country haha.

I really would like something not impossible to use, but also very versatile, as you can see. I've heard raves about the El Cap but I feel like it's confined to the tape...and while it's amazing at what it does, it's still JUST a tape simulator.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
I play a little of everything...mostly consists of Post-Rock/Ambient, Worship, Blues, and a little Pop/Rock...so yeah, everything but Country haha.

I really would like something not impossible to use, but also very versatile, as you can see. I've heard raves about the El Cap but I feel like it's confined to the tape...and while it's amazing at what it does, it's still JUST a tape simulator.
The Timeline is calling your name...

BukiUki

Well, it depends on what you didn't like in the dl4, but i went through the same thing (dl4 broke, but i really liked it...), and first went with the m9, but was distracted by all the other awesome stuff in there, and eventually sold that and got the timeline.
I kinda miss the no display, no nonsense philosophy of the dl4, and may actually end up getting another one down the line, but the timeline's sound quality and features just won me over...within a week i had casually programmed 20 or so really nice patches that just work beautifully, and i know any possible delay needs (within reason) are covered now...

english_bob

What features of the DL-4 do you need to retain? Particular delay type models? Looper? Expression pedal control? What's your budget?

Assuming your budget is around what a replacement DL-4 costs, consider:

Boss DD-20: better tap tempo, less scope for weird noises, no self-oscillation, more basic looper.

TC Nova Delay: No looper, more presets, fiddly patch changing, smaller footprint.

Vox Delaylab: new, so untested, but on paper does just about everything the DL-4 does, but has 30 preset slots. Might be worth waiting on some reviews...

S. S. Bender

Long story short, my DL4 was doing okay and suddenly broke...according to a friend of mine who works on pedals, it would be easier/almost as expensive to buy a new one instead of fixing this one.
While thinking about it, I really wasn't a huge fan of it in the first place. Can I get some suggestions for an alternative to it?

I know there's a huge amount of delay threads, making this one repetitive of previous posts (pun intended), but I'd really like a straight forward answer instead of searching hundreds of posts.
I feel your pain. When they were pretty much the only game in town, I went through four DL4's from 2000 to 2006, due to poor reliability.

Vox has a new unit coming out in June called the Delaylab. It has a similar form factor, but with more delay types to choose from, and 30 program storage locations. The loop sampler looks to be similar too, except no half speed function. The street price will be approximately $230. Here's a link to a page with the manual for it: (You'll have to scroll down to locate the pdf file)

http://www.voxamps.com/support/manuals/

yerbluesrob

Silver Supporting Member
DD20 is my favorite in that price range, if you can save up you should get a Timeline. It get's a lot of hype but it's actually true in this case.

mayer95

Thanks for all the replies...I would really love to add more banks/presets (which has already been covered by the replies), a looper would be nice but not necessary, and something not entirely difficult to use.

Two more questions I guess....Timeline vs. Timefactor? Can you run either of these off of a onespot or do I just need to use the adapter included/bought with the pedal?

Hairpin Turns

I've heard raves about the El Cap but I feel like it's confined to the tape...and while it's amazing at what it does, it's still JUST a tape simulator.
I think that's accurate. El Cap is very cool and sounds great, but limited. No presets (well, ONE preset if you buy a favorite switch)

The Timeline has a dTape preset (not as deep as the ElCap, but close enough) and 10 other delay types, plus more programmable presets than anyone will ever need. I'm not sure if you could use it with a one spot (I've never used one of those). It requires 300 ma.

If not the Timeline, I'd go with a DD20.

firebrand

I've avoided the whole timeline vortex and found the Empress SuperDelay to be the one for what I do. Usually not more than $325 used. Eight preset locations and 12 delay settings plus a 40 sec looper. The only possible downside is that it is not stereo.

english_bob

Check out the Vox DelayLab coming out soon...

http://www.voxamps.com/pedals/delaylab/

Not available for another month or so but at $229 it has piqued my curiosity.
Vox has a new unit coming out in June called the Delaylab. It has a similar form factor, but with more delay types to choose from, and 30 program storage locations. The loop sampler looks to be similar too, except no half speed function. The street price will be approximately $230.

My Delaylab should be waiting for me when I get home. :banana UK dealers were all expecting to get theirs yesterday or today.

I imagine there will be some interested folks on here so I'll post up some impressions and junk when I've had a play.

S. S. Bender

My Delaylab should be waiting for me when I get home. :banana UK dealers were all expecting to get theirs yesterday or today.

I imagine there will be some interested folks on here so I'll post up some impressions and junk when I've had a play.
That would be very much appreciated, english_bob. US dealers are not likely to see theirs delivered until the end of June... Damn that long boat ride from China!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom