• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Alternatives to a PRS CU22/24?

Force Ten

What are some alternatives to a PRS in the boutique realm? They look cool, but I don't particularly like the way they sound. Most of my favorite guitarists use them, though. In other words, I want to find a guitar that is in the same general "area" as a PRS, but better.

I'd need:
Tremolo
Dual Humbucker
Non-strat-style design (e.g. Suhr Carve Top/Standard, Grosh Bent-Top, etc.)
Nothing too thick and chunky
No crazy designs; I like classy-looking guitars.

Other than that, fire away.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Jason definitely makes a great guitar with tons of personal and original touches.

And he's super cool too!

Another option is to get a PRS and change the pickups. Actually PRS is making some of their best pickups ever right now. The SC245's, Mira's, DGT's and 5708 just to name a few. All very cool pups.

They are also offering a extra, free set of any of their pups and free installation if you purchase a new guitar. Some of these pups are getting rave reviews and also are selling for big $$$.

Just a option and no offense to Jason as he is very aware that I dig his stuff.

touji

Looks like I missed out! I bought a 2007 PRS and I'm not too happy with the PUPs I have right now... curses!

Force Ten

Let me reiterate that it doesn't have to be a PRS-style guitar. I'd be fine with something like a Grosh, as long as it wasn't strat-style, had two humbuckers, and a tremolo.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Grosh, McNaught, Schroeder, Briggs, Collings, Suhr, Koll, Baker, and Sadowsky are just a few that come to mind...

So many cool builders and options these days. I didn't even mention a bunch that are booked for years and/or are extremely difficult to get these days.

Force Ten

Grosh, McNaught, Schroeder, Briggs, Collings, Suhr, Koll, Baker, and Sadowsky are just a few that come to mind...

So many cool builders and options these days. I didn't even mention a bunch that are booked for years and/or are extremely difficult to get these days.
Yeah, I've been looking at the Briggs Saturn Deluxe/Avatar Deluxe and the Grosh Carve Top T-shape.

PFCG

i agree with the CE-24 because love the maple necks, and i have one that i am partial to. I did change the pickups to a burstbucker and a phat cat, sounds great now!

Also, how much do you wanna spend here? I mean there are alot of ways to do what your looking for.

If i had to choose anything based on a classic design, id probably do a Suhr Tele with a Trem!

Also if you like it, the new Les Paul Axess, that may suit you well.

If your looking for something more PRS like, Id probably say Baker guitars

You should also specify what kind of tremolo your looking for, as there are alot of guitars with bigsbys on them that you may enjoy if you like bigsby trems.

Force Ten

I've played a bunch of PRSes, and they're not something I'd buy.

I don't want a Bigsby, no.

I'm looking for something more along the lines of a Grosh Carve Top T-style (not S-style) or a Briggs Avatar Deluxe/Saturn Deluxe, etc...

I do love Suhrs. I have a S1 on the way.

Price isn't a huge deal. Under $5,000?

Force Ten

The B3 also sounds like an interesting choice. What's the difference between the "Wood" and "Fire" models?

This is complete hearsay, but I've read some bad things on here about dealing with McNaught. Don't know if they're true, or exaggerations, or what. I'll take a look at his stuff.

Marty s Horne

I've had Dave McNaught build me a guitar to my specs and he and Dave Mansel are the nicest guys to deal with. I received numerous phone calls from them double checking the specs with me and making sure every last detail was to my liking. When the guitar was finished they even offered to send it to a dealer and build me another if it was not to my liking. The guitar is one of my 2 all time favorites in 45 years of playing. My other favorite is my other McNaught.

Trending Topics