Alternatives to a Two Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Anaxes, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Not sure if your looking for the drive from your amp or you use a pedal. Have you tried the Carol-Anne Satin. One of the best clean platforms I've come across. I would have thought you could pickup one up second hand within your budget. Had a number of Two Rocks across the years - The Satin stands proud against those.

2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Member

Three ways to go, off the top of my head:

J Rockett Lenny pedal -> any good BF Fender. (Probably best with a vintage example or handwired clone making 40 watts or more, but even a DRRI would get you in the ballpark if you were careful with levels. If you have a Klone, maybe try that before you spring for the Lenny.)

Dig up an early '90s Fender Dual Professional (imagine a handwired Twin Reverb as rethought by Bruce Zinky, with a full 6g15 and the brownface vibrato circuit built in.) Mayer recently added one of these to his rig.

Ceriatone JM or SSS or OTS on the clean channel, as others have said. Or a clean amp (or channel) in the Dumble-style vein from another good builder: Carol-Ann, Glaswerks, Welagen, Sebago, Amplified Nation, Fuchs, Tony Bruno, Bludotone, etc.

3. Anaxes

Anaxes Member

I would but the size is too big for my apt :/

4. idnotbe

idnotbe Member

i have had maybe 6~7 Two Rocks and still have one.
    just my 2 cents.

1. don't buy Two Rock SP, because they are too dark and dull.
    the issue has been reported many times in the forum.

2. don't buy Fender Super Reverb.
    i had vintage fender blackface amps including Super Reverb.
    what i felt is... JM tone is more 3D and it needs 2 gain stages (another slight overdrive layer on the fender circuit) found in Dumble clean amps.

3. if i were you, i'd like to get a used Ceriatone and to change the output transformer.
    i've never had Ceriatone, but in your budget.... and they seems very decent.

4. actually Two Rock is really amazing.
    if you have a chance, try Crystal or Classic Reverb.

5. generally clean tone amps have managable loudness via master volume.
    though and of course, there is the sweet spot after the master volume is opened.

6. i think getting JM tone via D-voicing pedal seems silly.
    you cannot get the feel and dynamics of high end D amps via the pedals.

Abram4235 likes this.
  5. muchXS

muchXS Member

Well... you already said you have a cabinet. A Bandmaster head gets you at least part of Mayer's tone.

I've been working on Phonix and anti- Phonix versions. Phonix peaks the EQ sacrificing endless clean tone for note bloom. Anti- Phonix makes you crave cowboy boots and a black hat, maybe get you an all black suit and start a Johnny Cash tribute band. :cool:

I think I still have an original Signature Reverb front panel riding around in my car. That's from the last Signature Reverb I re- worked.

6. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

The 50/15 is actually one of the best amps you can get for the price, and is definitely going to fit the bill for you if you do not need onboard reverb:

https://www.humbuckermusic.com/products/two-rock-studio-50-15-amp-head

I actually kind of prefer it to some of Two Rock's other stuff in some ways, since it takes pedals so well and the low power mode sounds excellent at very low volumes. Killer amp, but wasn't marketed because PBG was dying...

Never seen one used, but I would take that as a good sign that this amp is great. If you see one, snag it...

Secondarily, an ultraphonix fender should get you close to where you want to be, but the UltraPhonix mod doesn't really do the fat sustain thing. It's a little closer to the early Dumble sound than the Mayer/ Two-Rock thing.

My last and most serious suggestion is to save up a little longer for a real Two Rock, or maybe even sell something that you don't need. There is nothing like a real Two Rock; D-style takes high end components and expertise. You can't really do that by hand without putting the amp in that expensive territory. I think some builders do the D-style thing just as well in their own ways, but they will sound like themselves - naturally different from TR.

Abram4235 and Bluesful like this.
  7. Clean-Tone

Clean-Tone Member

My last and most serious suggestion is to save up a little longer for a real Two Rock, or maybe even sell something that you don't need. There is nothing like a real Two Rock; D-style takes high end components and expertise. You can't really do that by hand without putting the amp in that expensive territory. I think some builders do the D-style thing just as well in their own ways, but they will sound like themselves - naturally different from TR.[/QUOTE]

This!!! Wait, save more money and buy the real thing.

Mike Lenning likes this.
  8. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Used Suhr Bella. Game over!

9. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

A Suhr Bella is a nice amp for sure but voiced differently and feels different than a typical Two-Rock.

Woodyworld likes this.
  10. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The Bella is in the UF flavor but doesn't have extra gain. The Hedgehog is in the HRM strain with full overdrive. For classic Humble tones my go to is the Hedgehog. Bella is very pedal friendly though

Egnodin, Woodyworld and Holliman like this.
  11. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

Maybe find a used TR Exo15. There's no reverb so you dont need a reverse polarity cab like you would for the other TR amps, so the cab you have will work.

You can find one for around 850-950. Save some money and buy yourself a Keeley katana which really nails the JM clean tone. I had one as my only amp for about 4 years. Not the prettiest amp but it's got the tones for cheap.

There's also a Gain Master 35 combo on eBay for 1500 right now. Sell your cab to pay for the shipping. I see them on Reverb frequently for a fair price too.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Be patient, save money, and buy the exact amp Mayer used for the tones you like. IMO, its the only way you will feel 100% satisfied, and will DEFINITELY save you money in the long run.

13. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

There's your solution, exactly in your budget. These are not 'cheaply made knockoffs'. They are often better than the originals.

Dumble clean: Gain stage - tone stack - recovery gain stage. Fender clean: Gain stage - tone stack - recovery gain stage. There are a lot of differences, but # gain stages isn't one.

14. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I've owned a Two Rock Jet and K&M Custom. The Bella at 22 watts and opened up definitely hangs and can easily handle any Mayer esque tone.

Woodyworld likes this.
  15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have yet to hear amps that come close to the K&M Custom.

I have a Overdrive Deluxe clone that gets to the neighborhood.

YMMV.

Holliman likes this.
  16. Trinehart

Trinehart Member

I agree, K&M Custom, was certainly one of the gems of the Two Rock models! I have owned three over the years and still have my 100 watt Custom. Just something unique in that circuit. However, if you are patient and save up for the purchase, you can find some amazing deals on an actual Two Rock that will satisfy and inspire for years to come! If you are ever in NE Ohio or passing through, you are welcome to stop by and play mine... That amp changed my approach to playing guitar, it does not allow for sloppy technique, but I wouldn't change it for anything!
    Good luck!

T92780 and Abram4235 like this.
  17. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

the best low wattage mayer tone i get is with a tweed harvard...not too bright like bf/sf fenders can be, but it's fixed bias and stays together well...fat, clean...

lil dawg makes a model for around $1100 and victoria ivy leaugues show up used for $1300-1400 all the time...

not a bad clip (mostly neck pu), but the 4th position strat tone is crazy good.

18. drmatty

drmatty Member

Morgan Amps RC35 or RV35 are amazing for fat cleans. The SW models are probably perfect, but I found them a little thin compared to the RC.

They are in your range used, but do your homework on Morgan. Great amps but his reputation for customer service is poor. Check old threads, but the amps are terrific and relatively inexpensive.

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Have you tried the Carol Ann Silk? I was looking to get a Princeton of some sort and I think this might fit the bill for me. Doesn't have a lot of chatter on the net though...

rusty likes this.
  20. Anaxes

Anaxes Member

This!!! Wait, save more money and buy the real thing.[/QUOTE]
    I sold off all of my gear except for my Orange Ad30 moving to the city. :/