Alternatives to a Two Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Anaxes, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

2. la63to

la63to Supporting Member

Don't get that particular one. That's the 20-watt, 6v6 version which will sound quite a bit different than the 50/100 6L6 versions. It's the same price, too. Nik didn't really want to make that one, he just made it due to demand even though he thought it was redundant. For a low-wattage option, the TR SP is even more attractive compared to this.

Bluesful likes this.
  3. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

Just threw it out there as an option, wasn't sure of the price difference between the 20 and 50 watt like yours.

la63to likes this.
  4. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

There is something about the whole Two Rock sound that can't really be recreated in any other amp. It's hard to explain 'that sound'....sort of like a bolder, more refined blackface sound with more depth and body, if that makes sense. IMO, the Schofield/Mayer sound can only really be achieved through a Two Rock. It won't make you sound like them even with the Two Rock, but it will be a good starting point. Don't get me wrong, a Fender amp with a pedal will get you close, but the Two Rock will get you even closer. I've been wanting a Classic Reverb for a long time now.

AustinIsPresent likes this.
  5. la63to

la63to Supporting Member

I just thought the Mayer thing is at its best on a higher-wattage amp. More thump and clean headroom. Heck, people even criticize the SP35 for having not as much headroom as they would ideally want (one of the reasons why I opted for the Ceriatone over it in the first place, as I do a lot of loud jamming with friends as well as ballroom/outdoor gigs). It would be awesome if TR could offer some 50-watt options for slightly cheaper. If only the SP50 was still available.

6. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

I did but only very briefly whilst trying out a guitar. They put me though it knowing I had the Satin. It did sound nice but I didn't spend enough time with it to give a decent review. I remember it breaking up much easier so you could get those cleans with a bit of hair...that was real nice.

Yes the Satin and Silk have largely fallen under the radar. It' a shame as I believe they hold their own (and sound more organic to me) against the Two Rock CRS or JET cleans. If you do try one, start with the 'feel' control on Zero. There was a low end muddiness that nearly resulted in me selling the amp at one point. I didn't twig that the 'feel' control was adding this...

7. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

I have a Bella and it's a superb amp especially live. However this fella was referencing Two Rock and think they're quite different. (Personally I would take the Bella over the Two Rocks for live -but one mans....etc)

8. BMX

BMX Member

I think a big part of the sound is the tube screamer with the volume cranked and the drive low. I've gotten similar tones to Mayer with a Bandmaster head, tube screamer and Celestion cab.

9. Mattygriffo

Mattygriffo Member

This guy knows what he's talking about. Great advice

10. Mattygriffo

Mattygriffo Member

Also great advice

11. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

12. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

The much under rated Mesa Lonestar Classic head is also an option IME. Great value used, with variable output and excellent reverb. Also a great pedal platform, and performs well at studio volumes

Jamie_Mitchell and Holliman like this.
  13. Anaxes

Anaxes Member

ummmmm........im pretty sure 99% of us here cant afford that. :rotflmao

14. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

To quote tgp mentality: then you are not saving enough and complaining about commerce. Lol

15. CV-H

CV-H Member

My Ultraphonix late 60s Fender bassman by Sebago Sound, certainly does the Mayer thing. Sustain, sustain...
    The Texas flood by sebago certainly gets the more ballsy end of Mayers tone, but I find the UP to get Mayer tones very closely for his cleaner/poppier stuff /

16. CV-H

CV-H Member

What about with a Steel string singer, or Dumble clone....

17. Egnodin

Egnodin Member

@Husky
    What's "UF"?

18. e???

e??? Member

Super Larry Super Sport. Fat, warm, bold, dimensional, etc...

My favorite amp to gig too. Cuts like no other.

19. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

$1600, you have the cab, and need to play at low (apartment) volumes?
    Kemper. With Two Rock and Dumble profiles?

20. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

After owning 3 of the smaller Two Rocks including an SP35 head and cab, I agree with this guy.

I went to a Traditional Clean last October and the larger Two Rocks are where it's at. Huge difference. I'd look for an alternative and skip the SP.

la63to likes this.