Alternatives to Barber LTD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stu42, Oct 5, 2005.

1. stu42

stu42 Member

I was just checking the sound clips and description of the Barber LTD and it seems like it's got a lot of the kind of vibe I'm looking for in that it seems to do a nice bluesy, sparkly kind of tone but can also sound a little fuller with harder picking and/or higher gain settings.

Right now I'm using a stock Boss Blues Driver for the low-gain sparkly tones but I'm frustrated with the fact that when you dig or turn up the gain past about 1 o'clock it sounds very fuzzy rather than having a nice spanky, open but full kind of tone.

What are alternatives to the LTD? I've read great things about the Timmy and I'm guessing it's in the same vein.

thanks.

2. Ryan

Ryan Member

why not just get an LTD?

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Seems like you're bitching about the Boss BD rather than the LTD, so if you like the sounds and spank of the LTD, just get it....

4. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The LTD is definitely the way to go. It has a very smooth "dynamic slope" depending upon your picking attack. Another pedal that does this well is the PedalworX Tour Pro Toggle.

Brett

5. 69strat

69strat Member

Dude, I have tried a lot of pedals, even the Tim. No matter what I try I always go back to my LTD. I love it ,and its an" old version".

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

I haven't tried either the LTD or the Timmy, but I'm also interested in both of them. From what I've read in other posts, some people seem to think they sound almost exactly the same, with the Timmy being a little bit more transparent and amp-like than the LTD. The LTD, from what I've understood, sounds more like a pedal than the Timmy does.

I would also like to hear some more comparisons between the two, or between the LTD and other pedals.

7. 69strat

69strat Member

Well as you said the Tim is more open sounding, but the LTD always seems to want to be played more. The low end has a tightness that I really love. Its hard to describe. I dont think they sound alike at all. I am probobly the only person on the forum that didnt really like the Tim. I am no pro, but I have been playing for 20 years and have had a lotta equip.I think I just may like a little color in my sound. By the way , when the gain is set low on the LTD it is more transparent.

8. fyler

fyler Member

i have an LTD, and i had a timmy. i prefered the LTD. no knock on the Timmy - it's a great sounding pedal, but i prefered the sound and feel of the LTD. both are great.

9. MattB

MattB Member

Just get an LTD. I LOVE mine. It is a must have on my board.

-MattB

10. 69strat

69strat Member

Dude, they are only $85 used!

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

FWIW, Listening to comparison clips of the ltd and new Silver LTD I preferred the silver. It sounded more open while the old LTD sounded a bit clouded by extra midrange. So you have your pick depending on what appeals to you. Either one of these pedals or a timmy should blow a BD-2 away. I had one and found it annoyingly fizzy even at low gain.

12. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I can't comment on the timmy but I have an LTD on my board. It is a good sounding pedal, but to my ears it colors the sound quite a bit, more than to my liking. The cloudy midrange that fr8_trane used to describe it pretty much sums it up for me. If you like the TS sound, you will probably love this pedal. I much prefer the LTD to my Keeley mod TS, but I'm still not in love with it. I run my LTD followed by an AC Booster with the gain set very low. The eq of the AC really helps take care of the qualities that I don't care for in the LTD and gives me a very nice lead tone when used together.

David

13. drolling

drolling Member

Yep- it's amazing what you can fix w/an Xotic booster, I use the RC in a similar fashion. Also agree about the LTD's midrangy sound. The silver's got less, but it's still not flat. Can't comment on the Timmy either, mine's still in production.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I think its impossible to get a perfectly flat response whenever the goal is to distort the signal. Lots of bass and treble just sound bad with distortion even in amps. The silver LTD sounds like a good compromise and is on my short list. The timmy allows you to adjust the rolloff to taste. At low gain levels you can remain very transparent but as the gain goes up you WILL have to roll off more bass and treble to make it sound good.

15. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Yes, that's very true. And exactly why the Timmy or TIM are such versatile pedals with the cut style treble and bass controls. To have a good higher gain overdrive you usually need to cut BOTH - bass and treble to keep it tight and focused and to avoid fizziness. Paul got it right with his pedals! I have both pedals and after using them for over a year other pedals with a usual tone knob feel very limited.

16. el34power

el34power Member

ummmm how about sending your BD-2 to Mr. Keeley...first. Then get a LTD. Love mine.... cheap to.

17. stu42

stu42 Member

Thanks for all the info! It sounds to me like both pedals are awesome. I think I'm actually going to go ahead and order a Timmy. I'm really curious about this pedal.

I know there's a guy who's a dealer for Barber in town here as well so I'd actually like to take the Timmy there, once I get it, and do a back-to-back comparison.

On another note, I think I may also go for a Zendrive for a different kind of tone as well.

I was never really a pedal guy but looking into the world of pedals is getting me jonesing for the cool vibes these pedals can deliver - and at the simple push of a button.

:cool:

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm not sorry for suggesting even another pedal, but I use the TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator. It can be transparent or a bit more compressed and smoother, depending on where you set the toggle switch. Either way, it's like a keeley modded bd-2 but better.

For 139 bucks, it's awesome

19. stu42

stu42 Member

Ha ha ha...that's awesome. Not too much of a mouthful. I should add that to my Christmas list to give to my wife. I can just see the look on her face when she tries to remember that name. Hell...Fender Stratocaster was a big enough challenge!!

:D