Alternatives to Bluesmaster?

waygorked

I've been drooling over a Gustavvson Bluesmaster for years. I love it but can't see myself justifying one any time soon. Does anyone make something similar within reach of mere mortals? Other than the Fano TC6?

I have built a number of great partscasters, and have debated building one out of Warmoth parts, although the best they could do is a bolt on neck. Any other suggestions?

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
There was a run of Bluesmasters made in the USA by the PGB.

The Bluesmaster Special and Bluesmaster Junior versions ... Seemed, (to me) a decent way to get the flavour of JG at reasonable money.

beorn

I've been drooling over a Gustavvson Bluesmaster for years. I love it but can't see myself justifying one any time soon. Does anyone make something similar within reach of mere mortals?
Need more data on what you consider similar and within reach. For instance, does it have to be a telepaul design, and is there a top dollar figure?

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I've built a few carved top tells and they are fun to build.
Been working on a modified shape for a while but i wasn't sure if I was gonna release it.
Seems like a few guys are doing it and they are well received so I'll probably finish one up soon.

narad

Silver Supporting Member
I've built a few carved top tells and they are fun to build.
Been working on a modified shape got a while but o wasn't sure if I was gonna release it.
Seems like a few guys are doing it and they are well received so I'll probably finish one up soon.
I've heard great things about your work (and from a guy who I believe prefers them a lot more than his old bluesmaster) so I'd definitely be interested to see what you've cooked up.

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard great things about your work (and from a guy who I believe prefers them a lot more than his old bluesmaster) so I'd definitely be interested to see what you've cooked up.
Really? Thats very kind of you to say considering the quality of Johans guitars.
Ive got some drawings and Ill probably make some templates along with a small batch or flying Vs this summer.

waygorked

For me it is all about the telecaster shape and ergonomics, which I personally prefer to an LP. I already build a very nice 59ish burst from a PGK kit, so I have the tone covered.

narad

Silver Supporting Member
fwiw, the BM body is much smaller than a tele and the ergos are much more aligned w/ a LP...
Yea, there's next to no ergonomic improvement from the shape itself, and more from the angled heel and (optional) belly cut.

beorn

Would people like it better if it was more ergonomic?
I sure would. Stratty belly cut, and some minor sort of forearm relief on the carvetop where the right forearm hits the dish. Rounded heel for easier upper fret access, maybe a scallop in the back of the horn.

Like Narad, I will be fascinated to see what you come up with and have heard very favorable things about your work.

narad

Silver Supporting Member
Yea, I wouldn't let the ergonomics mess with the aesthetic on a guitar with more of a traditionally-inspired design, but these backside ergonomics are a nice set of improvement I'd like to see. I feel like you find them on most of the modern LP-y things anyway: the newer JG FutureMaster design, Huber Orcas, and at least my Artinger LP-ish thing has them, if not all of Matt's solidbody shapes.

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I sure would. Stratty belly cut, and some minor sort of forearm relief on the carvetop where the right forearm hits the dish. Rounded heel for easier upper fret access, maybe a scallop in the back of the horn.

Like Narad, I will be fascinated to see what you come up with and have heard very favorable things about your work.
Thats nice of you to say, you guys are giving me some inspiration.

Scott

guitarnut_1

A Hamer Taladega Pro seems like a similar design, not sure if it sounds similar....

What I am sure thou is that the Hamer will be a fantastic guitar as well, at a fraction of the Bluesmasters cost:

Trending Topics