Alternatives to Hamer Monaco/Newport?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pcutt, Feb 14, 2008.

1. pcutt

pcutt Member

I'm looking to get a replacement for my departed ES-335 and really like the Monaco, or perhaps a Newport. However, the ones I've test driven have flat fretboards and I know from my Jackson superstrat that this is not what I want. I understand all Monacos and Newports have the flat fingerboards, so I'm looking for recommendations for alternatives that are approximately the same flavor, build quality and pricepoint as these Hamers, but with a more radiused fretboard. I'd like to try something other than Gibsons. Any suggstions?

Thanks!

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well the Robin Savoy interests me. PRS have a cool new SC semi-hollow coming out which looks like it could be wonderful but I have no idea how much it will be! There's also Sadowsky and Dangelico - I see Susan Tedeschi is playing a Dangelico. I love the Guild Starfire III and the IV sounds good - absolutely amazing guitars for the money. Even Yamaha make a cool big semi. I can't remember what it's called but they make a big SC semi which plays and sounds really good.

3. TheCommish

TheCommish Supporting Member

I'm selling a Newport.

Orange sparkle finish, Phat Cats & Bigsby, 9/10 condition.

$1395.

Thought you should know...

4. JimH

JimH Member

After my 335 I got a Jay wolfe special Heritage 535. I've had Gibson LPs, a 335 and I've got a Hamer Monaco SuperPro - the Heritage is right up there. JAy wolfe does a great package with tone pros hardware, great pups etc etc.

5. gitman

gitman Member

hmmm, i also got my Monaco-II as a stand-in for my vintage ES-345 and the fingerboard radius was the last thing i thought about... it's flattish on both guitars, like on most guitars of that type that i played over the years. i would be surprised to see a normal modern production guitar that has a smaller radius than say 9" - i bought the Monaco used for $ 1200,- and at such a price you could think about having the fingerboard re-shaped/re-fretted by an experienced luthier. that would give you the confidence of having a nice sounding guitar to begin with AND the playability you want.

6. ford

ford Supporting Member

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Gibson Johnny A, Gibson 339 semi hollow, Gadow Custom Hollow(bolt on) PRS Hollowbody, PRS SE Semi Hollow( import) Carvin new semi hollow(on website), Rickenbacker 330, Reverend Mantaray, then there`s boutique builders$$$$$$ Artinger, Schroeder, Sadowski, CP Thornton,etc. Lots of choices!

8. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I had a Monaco 3 that played wonderfully...the radius was a non-issue when compared to my 335. The pickups however were, which is why i no longer own it. An even bigger factor to consider with a Monaco is scale length...it's Fender scale at 25.5"...a plus in my book.

9. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Maybe Hamer would make one with a more round radius. They do all sorts of custom work.

10. K-man

K-man Member

I could be wrong, but don't Gibson and Hamer both use a 12" radius?

11. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Maybe a new Gibson 339?

12. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Hamer Monaco is very playable, I switch often between 335, White Falcon and Monaco. No problem, at least to me.
    Qualitywise Monaco is no brainer first choice to me, it has more appeal to me than PRS hollowbodies (I've played 3 hb PRS for couple of years and switched to Monaco).
    The scale, mahogany-spruce carved construction and perfect building quality (defititelly PRS level at least) provide very nice wooden and fundamentally well balanced sound. In direct comparison with double priced CP Thornton Elite, Monaco won clearly in all key respects (sound, rensponsiveness), although Thornton looked as very high-end boutique piece of art.

13. G Man

G Man Member

Wow, way to resurrect a 4 year old thread. Hamer's are all 14 degree radius. Yes, flatter then Gibson. Never bothered me in the least. I can go back and forth from my ASAT with a 9.5 radius to my Hamer's and never miss a beat, but apparently that isn't the case with everyone.

14. s2y

s2y Member

Yeah, nice necro thread. Clicked on Robin guitars for the heck of it, only to see that they're not building. Sad.