Alternatives to low input dimed JCM 800...

Bieling3

I LOVE the sound of my 4104 through a 4x12 cranked. Straight into the low input with a p90 equipped SG. Are there any viable options, 18 watt TMB, 20 lead and bass, or maybe a 2204 kit built with 4 6v6s that will give me that in a somewhat smaller package with a little less volume?

I've read enough threads here over the years to know volume pushing the speakers is a lot of it... :eek: And I'm rather partial to el34s... Is there any substitute?

Bieling3

I've had a Weber Mass 100 and an Ultimate Attenuator in the past. Don't really want to go that route. Not that they didn't work or were some kind of huge tone suck that everyone makes them out to be, I just want simplicity right now.

Besides, I live out in the country and don't have to worry about the neighbors anyways. Just a hair less overall volume.

Edit: also want a smaller head instead of a huge combo to carry around...

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I recently posted looking for a small and low power 800 sounding amp. It sounds like there's not much out there that meets those specs. Like the others stated, go with an attenuator or re-amper.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
or ditch the big ol' 4x12 cab for something smaller! 2 12s or even one powerful 12 will make more sense on most bar/club stages these days.

Bieling3

I recently posted looking for a small and low power 800 sounding amp. It sounds like there's not much out there that meets those specs. Like the others stated, go with an attenuator or re-amper.
Ya, maybe a badcat unleash and some lower watt speakers?

This is pretty close to the sound I'm getting:

schwa

Its easier to move a 4x12 cab than haul a 2x12 marshall combo, hands down. And I don't play in bars anymore, that's a fruitless endevor.

My dream rig BTW:
Hey! That rig above is mine! It does sound great, but doesn't get out as much as I'd like.

I actually prefer this rig:

The attenuator is actually necessary most of the time, if only a click or two. I love the 2204, but prefer the NMV tone - and kick it a bit with a boost if needed.

Bieling3

Is that the 20 watt lead and bass? That's the direction I've been thinking about. I've read that with the solid state rectification its got more head room that the 1974x or other 18 watt clones...

schwa

Is that the 20 watt lead and bass? That's the direction I've been thinking about. I've read that with the solid state rectification its got more head room that the 1974x or other 18 watt clones...
It is the lead and bass - and it does have more headroom than the 1974x. I don't miss the TMB, jumpering the channels give more tone flexibility than one might think - and it has the "right" tone somehow so I don't wish for more knobs. The gain maxes out at about "AC/DC" territory, but a good boost let's you get more gain while preserving the tone of the amp.

I run mine with the volumes above 6, and it is reminiscent of the low input on a JCM, but better IMHO. I back off the guitar volume to clean up, and boost for more gain.

The Lead and Bass is a lot of fun with the 1965/1966 combo as well, but I usually use the 2061cx with GB's.

As someone who has a BadCat Unleash and a Weber MASS, here's my advice.

Do you still have the MASS? If so, run it in *parallel* with your speaker cab. Set it to the same impedance as your cab, and use it as a load box. It will cut the power in half without affecting the tone in any way.

I use my MASS like this. It cuts the volume of the amp noticeably and sounds way better than having any attenuation in line with the amp.

FYI, my Unleash is basically brand new if you're looking for one. I used it at one practice and sold the amp I needed it for. Still has the tag on it, original box and paperwork. It's a rare version with a 1/4" output jack, so you don't need a speakon connector to run it.

effectsman

Get a Mojave Scorpion. Use the low input which knocks the gain and volume down, and use the power dampening to lower the output anywhere from 50W down to 3W.

Robbgnarly

Krank 1980 Jr will do what you want and they are cheap used $300-$400.

The Stiff Amps 90AD will also do that HR 800 tone and are $500ish new

Bieling3

"Ditching" the 4x12 is really a nonstarter. I haven't played out in a year or two and don't know when I will again, but the argument doesn't hold water for me in my experience.

There isn't a bar or club I've been to in the Central New York area that doesn't have ample room for a 4x12 or two on their stage. I regularly go to The Haunt down in Ithaca where they will have 2 or 3 full stacks and bass rigs on stage--all the equipment from all the bands playing that night--and they just rotate them to the front as needed.

OK GO @ The Haunt:

Most stages in live music venues around here are roughly this size. The ones that are smaller either don't have live music anymore (DJs) or have jazz quartets and folk duos.

Gemini2

Get a Mojave Scorpion. Use the low input which knocks the gain and volume down, and use the power dampening to lower the output anywhere from 50W down to 3W.
Or -

keep the Scorpion on full power and use an attenuator.

Trending Topics