Alternatives to the Beavis board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The P-Man, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

For a long time I have wanted to delve into the world of making my own effects. I have managed to get my soldering skills to a reasonable standard but my knowledge of electronics is close to zero.

The Beavis Board looks like a great way to get started that removes a lot of the barriers that would normally put someone with my level of knowledge off!

I have thought about getting into the BYOC options, but this is less appealing because it seems to be more of a paint-by-numbers exercise rather than allowing you to learn what you are actually doing.

Obviously the Beavis Board has been out of production for a long while now so I wondered if anybody knew of any alternative products or suggestions for other ways to get started?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. Yimes

Yimes Member

Excellent initiative, it's loads of fun plugging in a pedal you built yourself!
    Sadly I can't answer your questions, but I'd like to make a recommendation.
    If possible take a course in basic electronics, perhaps a distance course on 25% speed. It's not essential, but it'll make it even more fun and will give you the opportunity to customize your sound even more!

3. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

the butthead board. sorry..had to.. bye

4. benxiwf

benxiwf Member

I am mature and did not laugh at that............................................

ok I lied..it was my first thought too

5. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Hehe... I also thought of that when I read the thread title. But I also know what a Beavis board is, and I can make a suggestion: the ZVex Inventobox, even though it's quite expensive. If you are looking for more opinions on it, there are a few older TGP threads, but not many (I am guessing it's a bit unpopular, maybe even a commercial flop).

6. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

That's not a bad idea ^^^ wonder if anyone has a used one FS...

7. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

:rotflmao

All jokes aside though, I realise some people might not know what I am talking about, here’s a link to the Beavis Board…

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/

The ZVex is an option. I’ll do some investigating although, I must admit, it seems less appealing than the Beavis Board purely based on the space you have to work with. Worth further investigation though, thanks!

8. cajone5

^^^ Agreed -- maybe just build a beavis board?
    I may attempt one one of these days...

9. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

I guess it’s an option but it’s kind of a ‘chicken and egg’ situation. If I knew how to build a Beavis Board, I probably wouldn’t need it in the first place!!

10. dlab

dlab Member

Putting together a GGG or BYOC kit IS kind of like "painting by numbers," but the experience you'll gain from doing it will be invaluable. If you don't learn that stuff putting together a kit, you'll struggle MUCH more when you're trying to build a project of your own. I definitely recommend building a kit of a pedal that you're into just for that at some point.

As far as the Beavis board goes... it was a good idea, but all it is is a fancy breadboard. Giving you input and output jacks, a switch, and a power supply isn't "removing any barriers," rather it's just putting off learning about stuff that you'll have to figure out later anyways.

What you need is the following:
    - Radio Shack protoboard/breadboard.
    - 2 1/4 inch jacks.
    - 9V battery and battery snap.
    - Wire.

My little board has an altoids tin attached with the in/out jacks mounted on it and wires coming off the jacks. I plug the in/out wires wherever they need to go on the breadboard. For power, I just wire in the battery snap in the right place. Then, once I know what I'm building, I can worry about how to provide the correct voltage so I don't fry components.

As far as parts go, you can usually buy assortments/grab bags from various suppliers like Tayda, Futurelec, Jameco, Mouser, etc and those are a good way to go in order to start building some inventory for you to play with. You'll want some resistors, capacitors, diodes, op-amp ICs, and transistors to start with. I advise ordering everything over the mail as Radio Shack and other electronics suppliers typically can't match mail-order prices.

Start out by building various proven circuits, and you can start by modifying those and learning from your trial and error.

To summarize, it's an involved hobby, but very rewarding. Getting something like the Beavis board might make it seem easier to get started, but you'll have to learn all that stuff eventually. If you need more help, check out the BYOC forums, DIYstompboxes, or freestompboxes.

Edit::: Oh yeah, you should buy some pots too.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Someone would have had to actually buy one of those new, to have one for sale used.

:hide

Seriously though, I'd imagine the space available to work with would be difficult for the beginner.

12. dlab

dlab Member

Not much to build. The input and output jacks on the BB go to the 3PDT switch, which goes to the IN and OUT terminals. Power goes into that sag knob and then out to the V+ and GND terminals, he might also have a polarity protection cap and diode in there as well.

IMHO the real convenient thing about the Beavis Board was not having to build up your parts inventory since you just got the assortment that was included. I just don't know that it's $200 worth of parts...

13. cajone5

14. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

You also might look on eBay for a used heathkit breadboard. I got one for almost nothing and it works well. It has a bipolar psu built in, and a couple of built in pots.

15. Lemmings

Lemmings Member

Yeah the Beavis board is really just a glorified breadboard. If you're not comfortable drilling and soldering up the box yet then just grab yourself a decent sized breadboard (ebay?) and some bags of components (ebay or Tayda electronics). I think you can find all of the components listed on his site, and all of the build tutorials are there too.

16. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

i like how on the site it says:
    The beavis board makes it easy to:

• Modify stompbox designs to tailor your sound.
    • Easily try out your circuits through a true-bypass breakout box
    • Have a giant buttload of fun

17. sick1982

sick1982 Member

I really expected a picture of a pedalboard as ugly as Beavis :(

18. hollowearth

hollowearth Supporting Member

I've been on Beavis Audio and never heard of this Beavis Board.

Pardon me for dropping in late with a stupid question, but am I correct that it's sort of a chemistry set platform for experimenting with pedal circuits?

And, if that's what it is, seems to me that'd be a great way to get a better grasp on circuit design... No?