Alternatives to the Boiling Point

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jnichols2727, May 18, 2011.

1. jnichols2727

jnichols2727 Member

What are some pedals that might be similar to the Boiling Point in both tone and flexibility but at a less expensive price point? Thanks.

2. BiNGEaNiNjA

BiNGEaNiNjA Member

Rockett Pedals Flex Drive. Not so much the tone because a BP is a BP, but it is uber flexible. Flex Drive is a sure go to boost and dirt at the start of any effects chain. I use one with a Sky Blue Overdrive to get some serious gain and tone.

3. sutherland

sutherland Member

Rockett Flex Drive
    Lovekraft Mojodrive
    Tone Freak Abunai 2
    Cmat Mods Signa Drive
    BYOC OD2
    Lovepedal Eternity Fuse

and the list goes on.

4. teleclem

teleclem Member

5. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Eternity? Lovepedals are awfully bright, aren't they? The BP has loads of bass; it is not too bright at all.

6. PedalPower

PedalPower Member

2nd for the Lovekraft MojoDrive. Have had this pedal for a couple years now and still loving it. Can't beat it.

7. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

Rockett Flex Drive>>>>not
    Lovekraft Mojodrive>>>>no idea
    Tone Freak Abunai 2>>no idea
    Cmat Mods Signa Drive>>>not
    BYOC OD2>>>??????
    Lovepedal Eternity Fuse>>>not even close

Just my opinion/experience

8. sutherland

sutherland Member

HOW DARE I EXPRESS MY OPINION!!! HOW DARE I!!!!

Owned them all and they all strive to do the same thing: overdrives with toggles to change the clipping, and IMHO are all voiced close enough that they are interchangeable.

The Boiling Point is not a monumental achievement...it's an overdrive with a hotrodded, yet familiar sound.

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

I'll 3rd the LoveKraft MojoDrive. I bought a used one from a friend this past year, and it has a sweet midrange I really like. In fact, I brought my Boiling Point to one of his gigs, and we decided after that we like the Mojo Drive better.

But, good luck finding one - I emailed LoveKraft some months ago, and they never replied. Can't even tell if they are still in business from their website info.

10. bseamus

bseamus Member

I have a Lovekraft Chupracabra that sounds like my boiling point. The lovekraft stuff is no longer made.

11. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

:agree

12. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Yeah, I agree. And they're all TS based, too. Right?

13. RRClassic

RRClassic Member

One can claim that any opamp circuit is TS based, the reason opamps are used is because they sound good...period. The individual builder will flavor that circuit to taste with caps, resistor changes, gain stages...whatever. To say TS based is a bit too global.

I have tried many Jfet based drives and they can be harsh and buzzy, bloated whatever...it all depends on the ear of the builder. They can also sound good. The Nobels is an opamp circuit with 2 4558's does that make it a TS based drive? TS's are simply modifications of the intended use by the original data sheet for the 4558 or IC chip design...there are only so many things that can be done with IC based OD....there are dual opamps and single opamps...etc.

No pedal is rocket science and no one pedal is best...it is all in what suites your taste, the gear combination one might have and aesthetics. I have played two of the same exact pedal and one I like and the other I didn't.

I have high dollar tube based pedals that get slayed by a opamp 9v OD's......everyone can keep burning through cash trying pedals but man, the diff's are so small.

Just sayin'

14. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

people in general aren't saying these are TS based because they use op amps. they are TS based because they are TS based.

the things that make these TS based isn't the opamp, it's that the circuit surrounding the opamp is 90%ish identical. they might be better/worse/different in the way they sound and feel. but someone took a tubescreamer schematic, and made minor changes

RATs, blues breakers, guv'nors. those are a few pedals that come to mind that also use op amps, but are certainly their own thing.

15. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Exactly. I don't think they're TS based because of the op-amps, I do because I'm pretty sure every one of them began as a TS and was modified from there.

16. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Cool, thanks.