Alternatives to the Boss RSD-10

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by tremolo3, Dec 26, 2017.

1. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Is there any other rack unit like it that it doesn't cost more than $500 and is fairly available in the market?

Thank you!

2. Ian

Ian Member

Wow, that looks pretty cool! No one talks much about these old BOSS half-rack units much......are they good?

Thanks

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

So... more good techniques from the past... current devices miss!

That's pitch detection/time period calculation applied in realtime to sampled/buffered audio.
    The pitch detector hears the incoming note at the dedicated input and changes the sample reading speed to get the same pitch.
    When used in delay mode the pitch detection changes delay time, according to the period of the incoming signal.
    It needs to see a very clear monophonic signal, without effects. A square wave synth is perfect for this.
    High feedback settings create tuned resonators (Karplus-Strong synthesis).
    You may look into british Bel sampling/delays, BD80, BD240, BD320 models.
    Very few sampling/delays offer realtime pitch/time detection... particularly with some decent quality.

Not Orange likes this.
  4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Yes... but delay time IS changing. There's an input for pitch detection... pitch is converted to period (the time of a full cycle waveform). Any note is a waveform, although a complex one; its main root frequency period is being sent to the delay engine, changing it. You hear the "tuning" because of the high feedback setting... which makes it a resonator.
    Popular effect on Lexicon 224XL>PCM70>PCM80/81>PCM92/96, Eventides, Quadraverb...
    The "tuning" source should be different from the processed one, to get the best results. The Boss pitch detection of those days was pretty ugly and limited to a couple of octaves.
    Some people like the total quirkiness of the way it works... a very popular unit among the modular synths folks these days.
    At 500$/€ it might be hard to get something... even those Bel delays I mentioned.
    For more money any 2U Eventide can do that.

5. oneass

oneass Member

Aha, I see you quoted my post before I realized it was wrong (and deleted it) :) .
    Yes indeed, there's still pitch detection going on, even when it is not in sampling mode. Pretty cool! I actually have one of those units, but never used it like that. Always cool to find new life for an old toy! :)

I can't imagine that they're really going for 500€ now though. Is that the case? I got mine from a friend a few years ago, and I think I've seen them for sale for around 150...

6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I was mentionig other units within (maybe) 500 bucks as for the OP requests.

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

"Pitch shifts sound really good"
    ???

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Amazing!
    "Pitch shift" on a delay... isn't even something one could call that.

9. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Yeah, those are ~$200 on eBay, I'm just looking for a more modern alternative, something that may track in poly, and that doesn't cost a 2U Eventide lol.

Thank you.

10. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

There aren't modern alternatives... it's just the way technology worked back then.
    The Bels are even older than the Boss...