Alto TS110A as FRFR?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by chrisjnyc, Oct 24, 2014.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I know the 12" Alto (TS112A) gets a lot of love as a budget FRFR speaker, but what about the 10" version, the TS110A?

2. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

It's what I use. I like it. I'm sure there is better, but it gets the job done on a budget.

3. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

If I had the choice back with I got the 112, I probably would've gotten the 110 presuming it is a more compact size the the 112 with a similar response.

4. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

The TS112A is on sale now at GC and is the same price as the TS110A. I have a pair of the TS112As that I use with an 11R. I like'em.

5. RLD

RLD Member

One of the groups I play in has some of the 10's as monitors.
    I have the 12 for my guitar cab and prefer it over the 10.

6. pomfret

pomfret Member

I've used the Alto ts110a with different modelers (GSP1101, GT100, Vox Tonelab LE) and I like the results. I've used it also with keyboards and acoustic, perfect for that: lightweight and really LOUD.:dude

I sold the RCF 310 to get the QSC K10, which also was sold to get the Alto. I'm not saying they're equal in quality, but I would say something like 80-90%. With keys and acoustic they're indistinguishable. For modelers, the price doesn't justify the difference in quality (btw, couldn't stand K10's fan, really annoying:nono).

I'm sending left of my direct out to the Alto and right to PA (a Bose System, don't like it but my singer loves it). Comparing it to my analog rig (Koch amp 20W class A and analog dirts) I would say it's 80% there. It's really loud, never pass it from 12 o'clock, and bass response is more than enough for me (I'm not used to 4x12, I admit).

Because of the Alto, I'm tempted to try again the Axe, which I sold when I had the K10, as I didn't like the way it sounded nor the way it felt.:hide2

7. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

I should also say that I have the Alesis 112's. They are the same as the Alto's. They are louder, but the Alto TS110a keeps up with what I need and is quite a bit smaller and lighter. That is a great thing for a compact rig.
    [​IMG]

8. pomfret

pomfret Member

I love your rig!:aok

I've tried something similar but I didn't like the HD500 and, although I prefer the GT100 for going direct, the GSP is still much better, so I have to carry the same weight going FRFR as going analog: monitor (=amp) and midi pedalboard + GSP1101 (=analog board + GT100), which doesn't make much sense, since my idea of going direct is also carrying less weight.:huh

9. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

I struggle with the tone, but I make do. In the pic, I'm using a Tech 21 Blonde for an "amp" and only using the HD500 for effects. I've gone back and forth.

10. dwolfggc

dwolfggc Member

I use the ts110 with my hd500. When I got it I tried both the 12" and the 10" and to my ears the 10" sounded more natural than the 12". Even if they were both the same price and size I would have picked the 10". The cheaper price and better portability were a bonus.

11. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Owned both the Alto 10 and 12.

Prefer the 10s and still have them.

The 12s seemed too artifically bass-heavy in frequency response.

The 10s sounded nearly identical, with less of the exaggerated bass.

They sound fantastic for my wife's keyboard, and very nice with my modelling/Tech 21 gear.

12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have a pair of the Alto TS112A that I used for my PA with an acoustic band I think they sound real good, just started trying them with my 11 Rack and still sound good with that. Wouldn't mind trying the TS110 just for the smaller size but do like having the 400 watts of power of the TS112A!

13. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

Hi I just picked up an Alto TS112A to use with my Mustang floor. It sounds great pumping a stereo recording out, but when I use the Mustang floor, the treble notes ring hollow like when you put a guitar into a recorder straight with no interface. Do I need a DI? Thanks

14. pomfret

pomfret Member

No, you don't need it. I don't know why it sounds like that or where the problem may be, but I've used the Mustang Floor with my Alto 10" and didn't need any DI box.

15. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

Thanks for the answer. I'll keep tweeking and see how to pump up the sound

16. pomfret

pomfret Member

I don't remember if the Mustang Floor has different output options; if it does, be sure to choose line/PA/phone/whatever is called.

17. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

I have an Alto TS115A. I went with this because I want to get as close to the sound that would be coming from the PA. I am not able to soundcheck as the clubs don't want us to interrupt the customers as we are setting up.

18. tantamo

tantamo Senior Member

I just bought one. Wasn't able to a/b but about a year prior I had an EV 112xp (or whatever it's called). Both were being used with an ethos preamp pedal and a digital reverb.

The EV 112xp sounded a bit better from memory but the alto sounds good also.

19. wcfields

wcfields Member

If you are referring to the ZLX12p, then i agree. The $100 difference is worth it for sure...

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Those Altos - either the 12 or 10 - are value for the money champs. The other guitarist in my band uses one (I think it is the 10") when he uses his Digitech modeler direct to FOH. The Alto sounds great and he digs it.