Alto TS212 vs TS210

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Ken, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I'm a new AX8 owner and looking for a light weight option.

Can anybody tell me which of these two Speakers might work better for running a Modeler through it?

Here's a clip of the TS210 with an HD500:

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Either. Both have more than enough low end. I'd pick the TS210 just for size and weight... you don't gain anything with the 212 in this scenario. ( I own a pair TS212s and a pair of TS110As)

tmuka, buddaman71 and mbenigni like this.
  3. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

The 210's appear to be on backorder everywhere I have looked so far - anyone know of a store that has them in stock?

4. 3dognate

mbenigni and flyingheelhook like this.
  5. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

6. AD1982

AD1982 Member

Just picked up a 210 at MF, got it yesterday. The 212 was a bit bassy, so I chanced the 210. It was a good choice. I'm going to test it more tomorrow and write up a little review.

Right out of the box, I was impressed with the clarity over my old TS112A.

More tomorrow though.

7. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

I think some of this decision depends on how you intend to use it. I went the Yamaha route with DXR12's, but that was primarily because I use a Gretsch hollowbody on certain songs and I felt the 10" diluted the fullness of that sound a bit. I have to admit I tend to have to selectively reduce certain low frequencies on my patches because they can be too much, but it's easier to take them out than to add them in on a speaker that doesn't produce them as well.

mbenigni likes this.
  8. aizenx

aizenx Member

Please keep us posted!

9. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I've been pleased with my Alto TS210 and will be gigging mine for the 1st time this Saturday. I've played bass & guitar through it and it handles both well. @ 22lbs, I'm especially pleased about the weight and overall size of the TS210. Sound wise it's really good (though it's certainly not the be all end all of the FRFR world) for my monitoring needs. Hard to find anything better at this price point. I don't have a TS212 to compare it to, but I do have a pair of Alesis Alpha 112s & 115s. The TS210 & Alpha 112 are both ideal for a modeler rig IMHO. I'm looking forward to using the TS210. I'd been using a Seismic Audio SAX-12M-PW for the past few months and I liked it's small footprint, but the weight (@ 45lbs) was becoming a factor. Sonically I think the TS210 is better sounding compared to the SAX-12M. We'll see if that holds up after this gig.

mbenigni likes this.
  10. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Using powered PA speakers for guitar, I usually like 10" or 8" speakers better because they usually have a bit less low end and a bit more mid range than the 12" speakers.

These type of speakers already have a bit too much bass for guitar so the last thing you need is more of it.

AD1982, ur2funky and mbenigni like this.
  11. Ken

Ken Member

I just ordered the TS210 from B&H and will have it tomorrow.

3dognate and mbenigni like this.
  12. AD1982

AD1982 Member

Alrighty, here's my initial thoughts.

I'll give the bad news right off the bat. I've been comparing powered speakers for about six months now and it's not necessarily the most satisfying, IMHO of course.

Been thru the following:
    EV ZLX12p (Suffers from harsh and fizzy high end, bulky)
    QSC K10 (Great sounding, but pricey)
    Behringer, Mackie Thump (Awful)
    Peavey PVX12p (Fair, but over-compressed)
    Alto TS112A (Harsh, brittle high end)
    (2nd place) JBL EON 610 (Really good, slightly boxy)
    (1st place) JBL EON 612 (Best tone to price point to me)
    (4th place) Alto TS212 (A bit woofy)

And a very close 3rd place goes to the Alto TS210. The size and weight is easily the best out of all of them. The tones are really good, clear and nicely balanced. My old TS112A suffered from both a harsh high end and overly scooped mids, not to mention over-separation of the two speakers. The TS210 remedies these traits, however there's still two mild issues that I think the JBL EON speakers edge out. One, the high end is really prominent and a bit sharp. The EONs soften that high end better. And two, the size factor is killer, but the extra size of EON 610 translated to slightly better tone. The EONs were airy and open. The Alto is a bit more compressed. Not bad by any means, but the EONs were more pleasing to the ears.

I got mine new for $199 with a MF coupon, but at $250, it's still easily the best bang for the buck.

13. Ken

Ken Member

Thanks for your detailed review!
    Which Modeler did you use?

14. AD1982

AD1982 Member

HD500x and AmpliTube 4. Messed with loading IRs with the HD500x as well, using NADir.

15. 3dognate

I found the HD500X to be WAY overly woofy through everything I threw it at, even with a Torpedo C.A.B. it was hard to get rid of. (search my back posts... I'm all over the HD500's ass about it :)) I'm not an AmpliTube user... so I can't speak for that. All other modelers I've used... (All of major ones from the last decade now...) Don't suffer from that symptom.

I don't find the TS212 overly woofy with the Helix or AX8 or Kemper. Definitely not the 110.

mbenigni likes this.
  16. AD1982

AD1982 Member

I've adjusted the Global EQ and the Thump and Resonance settings accordingly on the HD500x, but I found the TS212 a bit too bassy, even with just music. But it's still a killer speaker. I'd easily use one as a main. When I used the IRs thru NADir, it tamed even more of the woofy nature of the HD500x.

Just overall, I found the JBL EONs a bit more pleasing to the ears.

17. 3dognate

Ha, I got my second TSSUB15 yesterday and I hooked up the pair of TS212s with the TSSUB15 pair and When I drove the setup to where the peak lights lit up... it was quite good sounding. And surprisingly louder than I was expecting. (First time driving them that hard) I definitely do not find them overly bassy without the subs. :)

I'll have to check out the new EONs sometime... I've completely disliked all previous versions, and it does look like they've done some serious re-engineering this time around. the 5xx series were just ugh...

18. 3dognate

I was doing some organizing of gear... Here's my Alto Based PA setup the 4U rack that I keep the XR18 and Wi-Fi router are not in the shot but otherwise that's the full meal deal for my acoustic band. (not solo or duo act) I can pare it down to the bare essentials of course, but this would cover us in a pretty large place... or as a full rock band in a small place. I landed that second sub for dirt cheap otherwise the single was working fine. All that + two guitar fits in my Durango. :)

2xTSSUB15 subs
    2xTS212 Mains
    2xTS110A Monitors (usually only need 1)
    2xVoiceSolo FX150 for monitors
    5x Mic stands
    5x Mics
    1x Chauvet 4Bar
    2x Speaker Stands
    2x Sub woofer Poles
    2x Stools
    1x VoiceLive 3
    1x Vocalist Live FX
    1xWheeled case for cables / iPads / etc.
    [​IMG]

BCy2k, flyingheelhook and AD1982 like this.
  19. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Just a follow up to my 1st gig last night with my Alto TS210. The short version: Really disappointing in terms of not hearing myself as well as I would have liked. I was not expecting this either. It was purely a volume issue. I had the channel volume on the TS210 set at 12 o'clock. My master on my AmpliFire was at about 11 o'clock. That should have been plenty loud - crazy loud even - and this is not a particularly loud band to begin with. Not ruling out some unknown operator error, but I checked the contour switch, it was disengaged, so it wasn't that. If I'd have run my Alesis Alpha 112 set at these same volumes, I'm sure I would have needed to turn down. So weird.

The stage in this particular venue is notoriously difficult to begin with, but I've had many 'good' nights there using an Alesis Alpha 112. I've played this room at least 20 times with 2 different bands. It was just weird last night.

I'm not sure what to think, but based on doing several gigs with my Seismic Audio SAX-12M-PW, I'd have to say it (the SAX) is preferable to the Alto TS210 if this gig is any indication. No one is more surprised by this than I am. Go figure . . . and I really wanted to love the TS210.

I'm playing this same room again next Saturday. I'll try the SAX and see how that one compares.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  20. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

how do you like that Chauvet 4Bar?