• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Altoid tins on pedalboards?

catpeople

I've now seen quite a few pedalboards on TGP that have Altoid tins on them. What are those for? I use one to carry picks, but it's in my guitar case.

:huh

chrisross

Imagine taking that Altoids tin holding your guitar picks out of your guitar case and velcroing it to your board. Mind blowing, I know.

catpeople

Why would you want to do that? It's kinda like hanging a spare strap inside your rack case or keeping your tuner in your open-back 1x12.

chrisross

Because I don't stand beside my guitar case or amp on stage, but for some reason I find myself standing 6 inches behind my pedalboard. Therefore, it's a good place to keep picks. Note: I don't have an altoids tin on my current board, but I used to.

phoenix 7

Picks, coin (for loosening Gotoh locking tuners), sandpaper (for smoothing rough edges on picks), capo.

It's nice to know that that stuff is always in the tin and I won't be caught without them at a gig.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
I have a mini Altoids tin on my board that holds about 2 dozen or so picks. I keep a pick on the neck of my guitar under the strings in the case. When I'm set up and strap my guitar on to plug it into my board to tune it, if it's worn out from pickgrinds or just playing, I grab a fresh one. If somebody wants the pick when were done, I toss it to them. If I happen to drop it while playing, it's really no problem to bend over and pick one up out of my tin. Any way you slice it, I have plenty of picks on hand all of the time, always within reach.

What is a problem is not having a few readily available because I forgot to put some in my pants or they are in my case. Short of breaking a string, not much is worse than scrambling for a pick before or during a show.

sub rosa

I suspect the Altoids thing on the forum is part people wanting a convenient place to store spare picks, and part forum bonding "I have that tattoo as well brother" type of deal.

Floyd Eye

I've never even heard of it. I keep my spare picks on my mic stand. I suppose if I didn't sing at all it might be a good idea, but I think it would be far easier to keep it on my amp.

guitarz1972

You guys do know Altoids gives enordsement deals to bands and those pics are part of the business relationship, right?

Imagine taking that Altoids tin holding your guitar picks out of your guitar case and velcroing it to your board. Mind blowing, I know.
Why would you want to do that? It's kinda like hanging a spare strap inside your rack case or keeping your tuner in your open-back 1x12.
Because I don't stand beside my guitar case or amp on stage, but for some reason I find myself standing 6 inches behind my pedalboard. Therefore, it's a good place to keep picks.
This exchange made me laugh. I needed a good laugh since I don't want to be at my desk right now at work.

crambone

On my board I have 2 of them, a Smalls and a regular-size. I use a Smalls container for picks and my regular size tin to store a piece of paper with all of my pedals' settings written on it. Handy!!!

On my board I have 2 of them, a Smalls and a regular-size. I use a Smalls container for picks and my regular size tin to store a piece of paper with all of my pedals' settings written on it. Handy!!!
Interesting!

I like this idea. T'would be quite useful for some of my more eclectic pedals with no labels.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom