Aluminum Guitars!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingnimrod, Sep 5, 2008.

1. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

After drooling over Travis Beans for a long time but never having the cash, I'm ordering one of these right now:

[​IMG]

All-aluminum, including the fretboard. Frets are standard steel.

These are getting played by some cool bands, including Melvins, Shellac, Sunn O)) and a bunch of others. Once I saw one in person I had to get one. Even the nicest photos don't compare to how they look in person.

Check out the photos on the company's myspace page. They also do some crazy custom work. I've seen aluminum SGs, jazzmasters, tele's and RDs made by them.

Anyone else have a chance to play one? I'm betting they will be quite collectible a few years down the road.

2. 6789

6789 Member

wow, that looks so cool.:drool:drool:drool

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I play in a band with a guy who has an aluminum jazzmaster and les paul. I think the jazzmaster is from this company. Anyway, they are really cool sounding, a totally unique tone that sits well in both recorded and live mixes. They play great too. Good luck with yours.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You won't like that at bar gigs in January in the great white north.

5. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

That is a good point. They often need a good 15 minute settle period to keep tuning stable if you go from one temperature extreme to another. They do sound really great though, if you're not looking for the standard strat/tele/paul thingy.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

Very cool - I'm excited to hear your review once she shows up. The headstock is full-on Travis Bean - I love it. I just got myself a Trussart and love it. I hope you enjoy your new girl, buddy. Good luck with it.

Bill

So, is the company's name Electrical Guitar Co.?

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

8. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

yep. they are based in Florida. I was turned on to them a few weeks ago by a friend who bought one like the one in the photo. He was in the middle of touring and started gigging with it almost immediately. Pretty remarkable for a guy who's been almost exclusively using Les Pauls for 25 years. (His Electrical is built at Gibson scale length with Les Paul pickups)

9. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

I'm more confident going with EGC - he's been making guitars for some of my favorite bands and friends.

10. SFK

SFK Member

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've played a few Travis Beans in my day. There's a reason why, however cool they may otherwise look and sound, that in their heyday they sold poorly and gkoelling has nailed it.

At a minimum, make the back of the neck wood, for cryin' out loud (even Kramer learned that!)

12. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I love my aluminum guitar. Mine has stainless steel frets too and the entire fretboard is just slick as snot. It does go just so slightly sharp after playing in for 15 minutes or so. Not noticeable to anyone except my Peterson tuner. I guess the heat off the hands warms it up a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

14. Roo_D

Roo_D Supporting Member

OK here's my one and only aluminum guitar story...

When I was still a teenager and a very impressionable young lad I used to get to visit and hang out with my cousin who played in a band that gigged "the Strip" in Hollyweird with the band he was in. Now and then I'd get to see a rehearsal and of course to me the guys in the band all looked like David Johanssen and Johnny Thunders and in general acted like the rock stars they all thought they were. Of course to me they were the real sh*t! Well the bass player owned an aluminum necked "Travis Bean" bass and it didn't take long for one to recognize that it was an item that commanded great reverence among all the guys. One night it was apparently stolen out of the trunk of his car after a rehearsal and he on the spot accused these two groupie hanger on'ers of "setting him up". As he screamed bloody murder at them I had up until that point in my short life never seen a man go so absolutley beserk he was frothing at the mouth and had to be restrained from choking one of the poor groupies as they ran off down the street screaming! From what I heard he never did get his beloved aluminum bass back. :rotflmao

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

P.S. Here's a gif of what I mean:

[​IMG]

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I've had this one about a month now. I bought it impulsively and really like it. It is heavy but stays in tune VERY well. Being in a constant air conditioned environment helps a lot, and the fact Florida is pretty much the same temp 99% of the time. I'm sure if I lived in Wisconsin I would feel differently.

I love the sustain and growl of this guitar. The pickups are really nice and the fretwork is probably the best I have ever seen. These Petillo frets are superb (this guitar though 32 years old has almost no wear).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 6789

6789 Member

Why do you prefer a wood back? What does the wood do? Does it slide on your hand easier?

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I think Jon was referring to aluminum necks being uncomfortable in colder weather. An aluminum neck will get colder and warm up slower than a wood neck.

19. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger Member

I'd be hesitant to play one outside.....if it's cloudy! [​IMG]