Aluminum Stop Bar

aeolian

I just got one of the Gotoh aluminum stop bar tailpieces and put it on my mid 80's 335. I'm not much of a cork sniffer and it takes something fairly dramatic for me to notice a difference.

This was worth it. Subtle to my ears, but noticable. It opened up the guitar. This was already one of the most dynamic 335's I've ever seen, but now it is much livelier and open while playing softly. Got a taste thinner when you really whack it, but I just have to be careful on the bridge pickup. I used to live there for OD soloing, but now the neck is much more usable, less muddy. And the bridge hasn't gotten shrill, just need to roll the tone down to 7 or do a bit more of that RF like muting, which I do anyway.

Micro dynamics, those little variations in dynamics you do within a lick, are better. The guitar is more colorful without losing the essential solidness of tone that I bought it for.

Has anyone tried these on other Gibby type guitars?

PolyMorf

I put one on my 1968 Univox and a Gotoh bridge. The difference was like night and day from the stock stuff. I really didn't believe that this change would make the guitar sound so much better!

Regards,

Harry

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
It's the first thing I replace on a Gibson style guitar. It really makes my Hamer sing. I think it can be as tonally dramatic as a pickup swap.

gnugear

Would an aluminum bridge matter much? I've got the tailpiece but left the cheapy bridge on my LP copy.

Trending Topics