Alumisonic Guitars-Look Cool To Me But Maybe Not For Everyone

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Csapo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

I know this builder was mentioned in another thread, but I didn't take notice until now.

Curious how they compare to Trussart's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

The aged copper looks appealing. Still priced out of reach for most players.

3. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Fair enough. Maybe there not cheap, but I do believe they sell for considerably less than a Trussart. Hopefully we can get some folks with hands on experience with these to share their thoughts.

4. Guitarpentry

Guitarpentry Member

I actually thought the price would be much, much higher. I was surprised....not that I have that kinda dough to spend on one.

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Those are shameless ripoffs of trussarts in every way. The same models, finishes. Even the headstocks are the same shapes.

6. reeced

reeced Member

I think they look really great, and not that expensive for what they are.
    IMO they offer more by way of design and construction than a Trussart ("Equally at home being played on stage or on display as a piece of art")

In the same way Trussarts are a ripoff of Fender and Gibson ?

Trussarts are of steel construction with the emphasis on appearance.
    Alumisonics are aluminium with the emphasis on performance.

7. jleung

jleung Member

They look really cool. Wish there were more options though especially for the neck. Need sound clips too.

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

You wouldn't happen to have some sort of affiliation with Alumisonic would you?

-Austin

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  9. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

To state Trussarts are made with emphasis on appearance, not performance is either ignorant or a blatant misrepresentation...either way, it's incorrect. I've owned dozens upon dozens of boutique and high end instruments and Trussarts are among the finest sounding guitars made. The fact that they're also visually stunning (IMO) is a bonus.

10. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Ditto +1,000,000

11. reeced

reeced Member

I made no comment about the performance of Trussart guitars, merely the emphasis - read this and tell me I'm wrong - http://www.jamestrussart.com/Newsite/About.htm Obviously the ornate work and ageing processes add to the cost, and for some, the desirability - I would prefer to spend my money on design and function.

12. phantasm

phantasm Member

It's a tele, so...not for me.

13. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

They certainly took a big ol' BITE from JT's ideas/designs. I'd be curious to see how these feel & sound. Still, my next guitar is a Trussart.

14. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

James Trussart is concerned with appearance and performance, one does not have to be sacrificed for the other in this case, and there is no emphasis on one more than the other. He has been building guitars since 1981 and has been experimenting with metal since the beginning, he has tried it all aluminum Stainless Steel and he settled on Steel.

James also makes non engraved guitars in either the shiny nickel or the Rust O Matic finish and he has done this since the beginning.

15. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

reeced,
    You implied Trussart's emphasis is on appearance while the other brand's emphasis was on performance...an obvious comparison/contrast. What you don't mention is that it took James years to develop a guitar that looks as great as his and SOUND they way they do. It's reasonable you'd rather spend money on function than fashion. So the statement about ornate work and aging must also apply to guitars with fancy maple tops and elaborate finishes from boutique builds relic custom shop guitars. If that's not your bag, cool...but don't minimize a guitar's sonic appeal because you think a great deal of it's cost comes from it's appearance. That's shortsided and in this case, plain wrong. I've not heard an Alumisonic and until I do I won't comment on it's tone...I do own 2 Trussarts and they are nothing short of spectacular.

16. Down and Out in NYC

Lets try this again. It should be pretty simple. Has anybody actually owned or had a chance to play one of these ?

17. whoismarykelly

No in the way that they have done precisely the same as another company to the point of stealing their exact headstock design and styling albeit using a different metal. Trussarts and Gibsons/Fenders share similar body shapes. Alumisonics are blatant copies of Trussarts in all but a few tiny details at a price that undercuts Trussart by approximately half. Thats quite a difference. As far as Im concerned this company isn't really defendable on any account.

18. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

This thread really feels like spam to me.

Reeced, couldn't help but notice you've responded to a number of comments, with the exception of whether or not you're affiliated.

19. Down and Out in NYC

If they were more expensive like Keeblers cough direct rip off cough or GVCG ( see Keebler ) would that be some how acceptable ?

20. whoismarykelly

Well I think any company that puts another company's logo on their product is worthless. If youre going to copy a design at least put your own logo on it. Otherwise its just cowardice.

Trussart makes a unique instrument with many identifying features that separate them from fenders and gibsons. Its not really the same IMO.