Alvarez/Alvarez-Yairi quality?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EagleDo, May 23, 2015.

1. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Anybody know anything about these guitars? All the ones I see start with “DY” but I can’t seem to find a list anywhere of exactly what the different models are. How can I tell which ones are higher quality, and whats the difference between “alvarez” and “alvarez-yairi”?

2. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1987 Alvarez-Yairi DY62C that I purchased new in 1988. It was made in Japan and has K. Yairi's name woodburned on it. I think the Alvarez-Yairi are made in Japan, but newer Alvarez are made elsewhere in Asia.

It is the guitar I've had the longest. It plays and sounds incredible, and of course, it is well-broken in and well-played. They seem to be reasonably priced on the used market, and I'd encourage anyone looking for a good acoustic to check them out. FWIW, my other acoustic is a Collings so I have a sense of what a great acoustic plays and sounds like. :)

3. archey

archey Member

Yairi's are great guitars. They can be had fairly cheap quite often. Most are solid top and laminate back and sides.

4. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Any idea how I can tell the difference? Is there a list of the models anywhere?

5. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

Yairi's have an interlocked A+Y on the headstock. I have an 1981 DY-74 which their version of a Martin D-28, big boy dreadnaught. Still sounds better and plays better than most other acoustics I've owned or tried.

6. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

The headstock logo is different as stated above. I have an '80 DY-57S.
    [​IMG]
    Alvarez Yairi = A/Y
    [​IMG]
    Alvarez = A / Inverted A

The Yairi's were made by hand in Japan, and are arguably on par with US built guitars.
    The Alvarez's were outsourced by the distributor. St. Louis Music distributed both.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I have a small bodied, most likely OOO-sized, early 1970s Alvarez acoustic. The headstock just says Alvarez with no fancy decorations. It is very likely one of their lower end models from the time because it has really cheap, but working, tuners. I tried it out in the acoustic room of a used musical equipment store near me. It played well and sounded nice. At first I couldn't believe how good it sounded because it was only $100 and looked like a cheap acoustic. But after awhile I realized that it wasn't just in my head. It really did sound that good. I bought it and still have it.

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

K Yairi's USP is the way they handle wood... they stockpile years ahead of time and air dry it rather than kiln dry, which takes substantially longer. So a 'new' guitar might have 15-20 year old timbers. I think that's pretty cool.

9. ieso

ieso Member

I owned two Japanese Yairi acoustics back in the day and they were fantastic guitars. To my ears, all Yairi have a kind of tonal family resemblance: rich mids, velvet top end, and subdued bass. Very balanced.

They had neck widths that did work well for my style in the end so I went with a Martin when I replaced them.

Had some students with the plain old Alvarez brand name (make in Taiwan or something) and they were really good for the money.

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Dy-71 which was Koa and sounded amazing. Didn't play as well as a modern Taylor or Martin, but I still miss the sound of that dreadnaught.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have a Bob Weir model OM cutaway 12 string Yairi. Wonderful instrument.

12. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I own a 2004 Alvarez PD-90S which I bought new that is the 3rd best acoustic guitar I've ever played, behind a Martin D-28 and a Gibson AJ. It's just fantastic. Very comfortable mahogany neck, mahogany back & sides, bearclaw spruce top. The neck joint angle is spot-on - neither under-set nor over-set, allowing the action to be set perfectly. The sound is well-balanced with full, warm lows, subtle mids, and clear, well-defined highs. The bass response is slightly less authoritative than the D-28, and the projection is slightly less 'cannon-like' than an AJ, but overall, I'm really happy with the Alvarez. It's a great guitar and it's not going anywhere.