Alvarez Owners/Lovers

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Steadfastly, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Paul Rathjen

Paul Rathjen Member

Yairi are underrated. I had a WY1K in the early 2000’s I shouldn’t have sold. I’ve been looking for one again!

I have two beat up Alvarez I bought off eBay that were cracked and had them repaired. $150 each for artist models and though they aren’t as nice as my Taylor and Martin, sometimes they make me question If $2000 guitars are necessary especially at my skill level. I used them for alt tunings so I’m not stressing my nice guitars, and don’t worry about hydration and dings.

2. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

I got a Blues51 as an inexpensive utility guitar and it became a daily player. It's a cute little guy and works great when playing with others (a little light on bass, it pumps out the mids and is plenty loud).

3. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

I own (two months) a - I suppose discontinued - MFA70ce , great guitar though a little dark . Anyone agree with me ?

Steadfastly likes this.
  4. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I picked up a Masterworks parlor 12 fret slothead used a bit ago which is pretty outstanding. all solid woods, impecabble quality, sounds better than other similar guitars from Martin and others I tried and way cheaper. I also have Yairi Classical which I love also.

The Chinese Alvarez Masterworks may be the best price/performance out there at the moment. I do think it helps that all Alvarez instruments are inspected and given a very complete final setup when they arrive here.

I really want one of the 12 fret Yairi dreads.

Steadfastly likes this.
  5. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

If you mean dark as more bass than a Gibson or Taylor, I agree. They approach a Martin sound on the base side but with a bit more articulation in the mids.

6. david57strat

david57strat Member

I've had this AD-CK60 (Koa top) since April of 2001. Hated the electronics, and eventually had a Baggs iBeam active pickup, a killer setup done on it, with chrome Grovers, installed I love it. It's the only acoustic guitar I have left, and I won't ever part with it.

It practically plays itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steadfastly likes this.
  7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've got my eye on a '75 Alvarez Yairi DY-90 that's hanging on the racks in a little out of the way pawnshop about 35 miles out of town.

They're asking $1K,but I've bought quite a few guitars over the years from them, they'll let me have it for $531 + tax.

It will hang there until I can get the money to go get it.

I just got my '81 Martin 7-28 out of layaway yesterday, so I cash poor.

I've got a couple of strats I'm going to put on Facebook Marketplace, and price them to move.

I don't want to get too cocky and think that that Alvarez will be for several months, but with everything that's going on, who knows.

Anyway here's some pics of the guitar I took at the store a few weeks ago.

'75 Alvarez Yairi DY-90:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

david57strat and Steadfastly like this.