Always Been A LP player and Wanting An SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lennox Lewis, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

I'm looking to buy an SG - preferably a Standard, but have really never played one, except for short intervals here and there. Besides the weight, what are some differences in the two. Pros? Cons? Anyone have a strong preference to one or the other? I am going definitely keep my Les Pauls, but I'm getting very intrigued by the SG. Thanks.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

SG`s seem(to me) to have a darker, more raunchy(AC/DC) tone IF you want it. LP`s tend to be sweeter and "sing" more.Lp`s IMO are a better overall guitar in a sense that it does more. SG`s are more of a one trick pony BUT what they do, they do VERY well.

3. SGNick

SGNick Member

I'll have to disagree with that, the SG's neck pickup is one of the most versatile sounding pups I've ever had the pleasure to play.

get the right pickup in there and it can go from bright, distinct and, articulate to big warm and wooly just by turning a knob or two.

4. jgyn

jgyn Member

The feel's different, also. My SG's neck seems to 'stick out' more.

5. Alvis

Alvis Member

I dont really have a preference .They pretty much do the same thing for me .It's just what shirt you wanna wear on what day ,you know .Cadillac vs Camaro .......
    SGs are more affordable and easier to carry,but thats about it

6. captainchair

captainchair Member

I'm going to have to agree with SGNick on this as well. I believe its sound is mostly attributed to its pickups. I mean both guitars are made by gibson and their only real difference is one single cutaway the other is double... same wood and stuff right?

7. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Sg's are cool guitars, but as a LP player myself I find that I have an adjustment period with them. I currently dont own any as I find them to be neck heavy.

8. jrm

jrm Member

Wood is generally different. LP traditionally has a maple cap. SG is traditionally all mahogany. LP's had a lot more mass as well.

I've got both and I absolutely love both. Enjoy!

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

SGs are longer scale, aren't they? I have a '94 SG and a '96 LP. They're both similar guitars, but the SG is nastier, more in your face sounding. The LP has more bass in the neck and more treble in the bridge, it also sings more than it growls when compared to the SG. The SG is an excellent guitar though, just be prepared for the thing to tip forward when you let it go. Damn things are very neck heavy.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I agee.

If you want something different that will be a smooth transition, look at a Tele.

11. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Dude asks about an SG and you recommend a Telecaster? C'mon now. That's like going to the store to buy eggs and milk and the guy selling you a pair of pants. They're not even in the same ballpark.

12. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

imho the sg is overall brighter and better balanced (..in tone that is).
    les pauls can be very boomy at the low end. i have 2 les pauls and 2 sg´s (humbucker and p90 equipped). when i switch from my lp (r4tq) to my sg (62 historic/maestro) i usually turn the bass a liitle up and the treble (and/or presence) down on my rockerverb50. both great guitars.
    as said before the neck sticks out more on the sg so you´ll need a minute for adjusting your playing but no big deal.
    i use "buckskin"-straps (is that the word?) and have no problems with the neck heavyness.
    obviously if you like those ac/dc type open chord growly rythm thing the sg is imho better suited for that due to it sounds less boomy and more clear.
    i enjoy both and would be very hard pressed if i had to choose between them for my only guitar....

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yeah, but I think he needs a pair of pants.

14. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Before buying the ES-339 I actually tried out a couple of SG and Les Paul

I mean maybe my ear isn't very refined for buckers ( since I'm mostly a Strat guy ... ) but to me the tonal differences are pretty minimal ... I mean some people will say an SG is halfway between a Telecaster and a Les Paul ... but I don't hear it.

I remember reading an interview with Ted McCarthy, he said that some people believe that the SG has more top end, others say it has more sustain, but at the base it was engineered to be a liter Les Paul

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

:D Fair enough!

Only unmodded, modern Les Pauls are boomy. Properly done up Les Pauls sing like a fat chick at the opera!

16. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Member

Long time LP and 335 player here who's been down the Strat/Tele road and back again to the LP and 335. Well, I never really left. Just a differsion. The SG is also on my radar and has been for some time. The reissue with P-90's or maybe the Standard. The VOS stuff is top shelf and damn expensive.

Regardless, what stands out most to me everytime I play an SG is the "exposed" feel of the neck. The SG is like a flat slab of wood with big long fully exposed neck. I'm guessing it would take some time adjusting to it before taking out to gig with. What could possibly happen is getting lost with all that "fretboard real estate" if you follow me.

It's also very liberating and a barrel of monkeys for slide playing. The access is 100% and there are no physical points to rely on except where it joins the body. I think that's the point. A new feel would need to develop. I also don't see too many guys jumping between LP's and and SG's on any given night. A 335 to LP has a similar feel if you follow. SG player are very dedicated to it. Derrek Trucks comes to mind. Phenom with the slide.

As for tone. Not better than a LP with good P-ups, just different, probably because of the thinner body (less wood) and more exposed neck. Like any other guitar, there are different neck widths, feel, etc. SG's are no different. Get the neck that feels right to you and the rest will just fall into place. Gibbie/Epi necks on most any model all have common designs and feel depending on if you like slim-taper, baseball bat or some variation. The more you pay, the nicer the necks are finished and are much more playable. Not just action, but feel.

The Epi SG's are not all that exciting but if you could find a decent used one and set it up, maybe this will save you a 1000 bucks (or more) and if you don't like it, no biggie. Just an idea. YMMV. I am considering this approach. A few hun is better than a few grand right now.

My only real concern with the SG is the higher risk of snapping the neck at the body joint. If you have a pro's approach to all aspects of your playing, this won't be an issue barring any real accident.

The SG is a rock and roll/blues-rock flame thrower but needs treated with respect. All instruments should, IMHO.

17. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Check out this Audley Freed video or videos.
    SOmeone posted this in the Pedals section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTA0CV6ULtU
    It may be part 4 or 5.
    His SG sounds awesome, just the right amount of bite and warmth.

For a sit down gig, I love how the SG sits.
    Standing up took a bit of getting used to, just like a Firebird.

18. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

Man, some of you have me really jonzin' for one now. Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has one that they are looking to part with, feel free to hit me up. :stir

19. SGNick

SGNick Member

Another difference is the location of the pickup. on LP's, it's right up against the fretboard, it's further back on SG's.

They are the same scale.

20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Don't you think the body thickness makes them sound different from each other, too?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008