"Always On" Boost to Hit Amp Harder at Low Levels

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sws2h, Mar 16, 2015.

1. sws2h

sws2h Member

I have a Swart AST that I love, but I'm interested in a pedal I can leave on to hit the preamps a little harder when playing at lower volumes. Maybe something like an EP Booster or Bad Bob? Doesn't need to be sterile and can impart a little tone.

2. blues bird

blues bird Member

3. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

4. sws2h

sws2h Member

Tried a couple Klon's, not really my thing.

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Spaceman Saturn V....try it.

6. sws2h

sws2h Member

Saturn V sounds nice, a little pricy for me though

7. PurpleJesus

Cool, I get that. A lot of people think that the Earthquaker Devices Arrows pedal for that kind of thing. I think it's $90 new. Premier Guitar did a great review on it.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Crowther Hotcake

9. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

The Xotic EP boost is great for that. I also use mine to bump up the output when my volume knob is rolled back to get a clear, jazzy sort of tone.

10. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

awaiting for this to arrive...a frequency boost with germanium drive

[​IMG]

11. PurpleJesus

Who the hell made that thing? Looks cool. Also, looks like it could control a Mayan pyramid.

12. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Great guy down under in oz...he is doing some unique stuff. got another 1 off prototype...pultec parametric eq with germanium drive...absolutely love it. discovered him on ebay and took the leap...seller is... lectromusic_devices

[​IMG]

rcl likes this.
  13. BoTheMu

BoTheMu Member

Timmy? Loads of boost, great eq, dial in a little dirt if wanted.

There isn't a right answer. There are lots of great pedals out there that do this well.

14. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Try an EQD Speaker Cranker

15. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

Saturn V is my Klon. So many klones out there, I wish there were a poor-man's Saturn V.

16. Bopcat

Bopcat Gold Supporting Member

Lots of choices.
    The cleanest boost I use is a ZVEX SHO. It acts as a buffer as well so your sound may be brighter and sparkly when boosted.
    The Bad Bob will alter your tone. It adds some grit and warmth. I like it better at 18v as it's more touch responsive and brighter.
    The EP Booster is useful if you want to add some bass and treble and is a good buffer with the volume rolled off. Also prefer at 18v.
    I use the ARC Effects Klone to push my loudest amp (18w) so it sounds fuller and with a little bit of crunch at lower volumes.
    A Boss BD-2 with the AM Super Mod works well with the gain set low if you want some mild clipping.

17. sws2h

sws2h Member

I think I'd be more interested in a boost over a drive pedal. I've owned a Timmy, Hot Cake, Klone and they all have a more compressed sound, which works great for an overdrive. And a treble booster (tried a lot of those) and those I consider more fuzz/drives. But I wouldn't mind a little high frequency sparkle just not treble booster amounts. The Saturn sounds like a cool choice but Something like a Super Hard On, Caroline Icarus, Super Chili Picasso?

18. Polo

Polo Member

19. PurpleJesus

The issue is there can't be b/c he only finds so many of certain components and after he runs out.....the pedal stops being made. I guess people could measure values and get some comparable components, but it wouldn't ever be the exact same.

I agree with you completely though, the Saturn V is my Klon, as well. Once it ends up on some famous player's pedalboard it'll probably become a "Klon" on price levels too.

20. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

The Malekko Sloika is good for this... I always have mine on low or high volume. Adds a litte more thickness and life to a clean plinky tone. Also sounds good stacked with Russian Muffs. Only way to describe how it sounds when stacking with a muff is that it gets that ripping mid scooped NYC muff sound but cuts and has mids. Not even sure how it does it but I will never sell mine.

They are pretty affordable in comparison to other TS and Klon clones...tons of volume on tap too