Always-ON Clean to Mean Amp-Friendly Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fishcake, May 7, 2015.

1. fishcake

fishcake Member

I know, I know, I apologize, another fuzz thread. I've read and reviewed a lot, and I think I know what I'm going for, but I wanted to see what else I can look at. I asked this over at the strictly fuzz thread, but I feel sacrilegious about posting there without even having a fuzz of my own first.

I'm trying to get a fuzz to run through my Strat and JTM1 and the occasional Tech21 Blonde/British, running at breakup; and which I can just set and forget beside the amp while using the volume on the guitar to get clean tones up until almost EJ levels of sounds. I thought I was dead set on getting a Dunlop BOG, but then I saw a Fulltone 69 in the store and thought the added input and contour controls would mean this would be a better choice so I can tailor the sound through the Tech21's. The Velvet Fuzz, If 6 was 9 BC183's, and the Oxfuzz seems like good ideas too.

Im pretty sure this is perfect for a fuzzface, but I'd like to have a tone control or switch that I can use to remove/tailor the low end and brightness. Is there anything (else) that I should look at?

I'd like to keep this at $200 or lower. Shipping and taxes to Canada are atrocious right now because of the CAD$ value.

Thanks guys.

2. beexter

beexter Member

3. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

4. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

5. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

Not as fuzz, per say, but you might dig a Dover Drive. Cleans up well, meets your criteria, and would sound awesome into that amp, likely.

6. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Well the answer I gave you in the Strictly Fuzz thread was to get the standard GE Sunface. But now I see you want a bass control and you're in Canada (I feel your pain on the exchange rate).

The Fulltone 69 is a great option. The one I'd recommend the most is either a Sunface or the Basic Audio Solar Myth. The Solar Myth is within your price (you can get it cheaper if you find it on Prymaxe with a discount code), has a fat control and would do everything you need. Fuzz Face based.

7. fishcake

fishcake Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Sadly, the Skreddy is out of budget unless used. I'll try to hunt one down, but again, being up north just makes it harder.

The Jupiter looks interesting. I'll look into that more.

And yes, Empros, it sucks. The prymaxe discount pretty covers the difference at least. I'll try to PM John and Analogmike. What do you guys think of the BC183 Sunface?

8. tabb74

tabb74 Member

You might want to check out the Catlinbread Karma Suture.

I've had mine for about a week, its sort of a boost/OD/fuzz hybrid. Works really well into clean or dirty amps. Not super gainy/fuzzy on its own, you wont get a lot of fuzz in front of a super clean amp, but when you stack it with amp gain, watch out man! Cleans up well with your volume knob. Works with a dirty or clean amp. The even order harmonics it adds really do make notes and chords "bloom" and create very musical feedback. Basically can make your amp sound like its being run super hot, at more reasonable sound levels.

9. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

BC183 Sunface is one of my favourite fuzzes ever. However - it does not clean up that great IMO. It gets very thin when you clean it up, it's not as smooth/nice as a GE Sunface's cleanup.

The BC183 excels as a big sustaining lead fuzz pedal. Not much beats it in that regard for me. But clean up is not it's strong point.

10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I'm just echoing others here, but for an always on clean to mean fuzz, you really want to stick with germanium.

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Saw a demo that was impressive. I need to check this one out. Is it based on or similar to anything?

12. fishcake

fishcake Member

Thanks guys, and yeah, I think Germanium may be the way to go. AM sunfaces look really great but would put me at $250, which would then open a whole world of other fuzzes like Chase Tone.

What about Jimmy Behan/Super Electric? Anyone have any experience with these? There's one on Reverb for less than $200...

13. tabb74

tabb74 Member

It's based on a 70's pedal called the Harmonic Percolator, but the Catalinbread has two added controls; one control to blend in the diodes, the other adds density.

14. Neighbor Pete

Neighbor Pete Member

I think the Karma Suture is an amazing pedal and use it almost just the way you intend. In the last month I have compared it side by side (at length) to several other fuzz's including the Fulltone 69, BA Futureman and Scarab Deluxe, and Astrotone. The Karma Suture is by far the most versatile for me and in comparison with the Fulltone 69, Astrotone and Futureman I could get VERY similar sounds but the Karma can do so much more. The 2 added controls that Catalinbread added to the Harmonic Percolator circuit are superb. The diodes blend lets you change the compression characteristics, which is huge and the density control will let you tailor the fattness from thin to thick. When dialed up with gain the harmonic blooms are awesome. Super easy to dial in and cleans up pretty well. I run it through a Goodsell Super 17 on edge of breakup and can go from semi-clean to overdrive to fuzz all with the volume knob on the guitars. I had the Karma first and for some reason felt like I needed to check out the other fuzz's. The Karma remains on my board and ain't going anywhere. Love it... worth checking out for sure.

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The Dunlop FFM Ge is not a bad budget option here. I loved the way it cleaned up and growled. The only problem is it just did not have enough response to guitar tone knobs. Nature of the Fuzz in general.

16. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

I liked the Solar Myth recommendation, but it has similar, if not inferiour,
    cleanup capabilities like the BC183... or any Si-based Fuzz, no?? :huh

17. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

EQD Park Fuzz. Cleans up great, even running into light dirt.

18. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Can't say I agree with you there...
    Mini Bone is Si based and cleans up great. Even my Scarab Deluxe cleaned up just fine at certain settings, never got thin or harsh.

The BC183 Sunface gets VERY thin and almost harsh with the volume rolled back. Thats my experience with it!

19. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Any Ge Fuzz Face - Analogman Sunface is great for this.

20. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I like my Sunface.