• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Always-on compressor

amp48

I like using the built-in "simple comp" on my Fender Mustang amp. I put it on the low setting and leave it on all the time. Sounds great playing clean or also with od pedals.
What is a good transparent pedal compressor that can be similarly used?

danman

I've heard great things about the Diamond for this purpose. When I play single coils, I leave my SP on pretty much always. The blend feature makes this possible.

reo73

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Maxon CP-101 that I keep always on and is very subtle.

guyyute

Light compression AM Comprossor is always on for me.

I'm learning now to tweak my rig so where it doesn't need to be on all the time though.

TheGuildedAge

I used a carl martin for years, sold it due to the ac cord. Have a mirage on the way to compare to my maxon.

strat56

Barber Tone Press is what I've been using for a long time. I've tried some others but the Blend control on the Barber does it for me. It allows you to choose the blend between the compressed and uncompressed signal. Makes the pedal very versatile. Price is good too.

slap_back05

I've used both the Barber and (currently) the Diamond as a mostly on compressor (turn it off when I use my Les Paul) What I really like about the Diamond Comp is the EQ tilt, which allows me to dial in the best sound for multiple guitars with one knob.

jurfin

lots of folks like the diamond - and i would definitely suggest an optical comp for these applications.

i decided to go with the bearfoot pale green compressor, and i have no more compressor lust. it is perfect and awesome for tone shaping and boosting, without ruining your attack, but also does a really swell job with slide and funky stuff. lastly, it is small. what more could i ask for?

if you wish to look in to it a little further, this is a great source for information -

www.ovnilab.com

Diamond is the perfect comp for that. I use to leave it on all the time on my previous amp. Since I switched it's not always on but often.

MSLBend

Wampler Ego Compressor can be set as a great always on slight boost, tone enhancer or can get the more pronounced compressor sounds, squish, etc.

jacoby75

Diamond compressor is all the rage, for this very purpose, but I haven't tried it. A bit more affordable is the CMATmods Deluxe Signa Comp (not to be confused with the deluxe compressor). I leave it on all the time, and I absolutely love it. Very transparent, very adjustable, and it just smooths out my tone perfectly. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

jordanyeo

Absolutely love the Walrus Audio Deep Six. Doesn't get mentioned much around here but has attack, sustain, level, and blend knobs. All in a standard pedal enclosure. By far the favorite I've owned, which includes the Barber Tone Press, Diamond Comp, and Strymon OB1. I exclusively use it as an always on compressor, no chickenpickin for me.

skiltrip

Supporting Member
Anyone use the Joyo Compressor? I've been eyeing that lately.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

XKnight

Xotic SP has gotten a lot of great reviews and seems to be one of those always on pedals. This vid is pretty compelling.

mntmoses

JHS Pulp'n'Peel is my go to. I also had the Strymon OB-1 for 2 years and it was great. I never used the boost function so it was just taking up space..which is why it got sold.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom