1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Always thought I was more of a humbucker guy, but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cg, Jan 4, 2006.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

it seems I can dial in the tones I like much better with single coils. I don't get as frustrated trying to dial in amps with single coils. I love the way they sound clean, overdriven and everywhere in between.

I love my Grosh RC and have fierce GAS for a Tele. I don't want to drop new money on a guitar right now, so I may have to do the unthinkable and sell my R7. What a quandry!

2. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I think I'm going through the sane thing at the moment - I feel your pain, Bro!
    I have been playing my Les Paul less and less, and my Strat more and more. I have to cheat a little bit though and have a Seymour Duncan 59 humbucker in the bridge of my Strat. However, my eventual goal is to get rid of that one too. I still find it comforting to be able to switch to my humbucker when I feel that I am struggling a little to find a good, singing lead tone. I love listening to guys like Ritchie Blackmore who seem to be able to find great, heavy lead tones from single coils.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Well Leo Fender knew what he was doing.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Trust me, the Grosh RC is plenty enough reason NOT to go back to an HB-equipped guitar.

For a long time, people would tell me they didn't understand why I played the LP at all on gigs when the RC cut through the mix better and sounded better than my LP.

Gone ... a home run!

Enjoy that Grosh!

dave

5. cg

Dave - which pickups do you have in your Grosh?

Chance

6. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Much of what I listen to lately is done with a strat and single coils. I've never owned or really played an actual 'strat', just strat shaped bodies.
    I've been thinking about this for a few weeks...

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

For the first 35 years of my life, I preferred humbuckers. The remainder of my life will be spent primarily with single coils.

After a while, you get tired of magic markers and just want some good ball point pens! ;)

8. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I spent the first hundred or so years of my life playing single coil guitars. I spent the next several years, with several Les Pauls and PRS guitars, trying to learn how to love humbuckers. The best I could do was learn to like them, but not love them. I appreciated them in certain contexts, but even in those same contexts, I could use single coil guitars just as effectively. I no longer have any humbucker guitars. I don't expect that to change, but I also never say never.

9. larryl

larryl Supporting Member

I had a Hamer Studio Custom w '59 Duncans on it that sounded pretty good - but no sparkle really. I have a Grosh Retro Classic s-s-s- and a Tom Anderson Hollow Classic in an s-s-h configuration on the way. I am wondering which will be the best to cover Strat AND LP sounds. I'll keep whatever does it and sell what doesn't.

10. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I recently made the switch back to my Warmoth Jazzmaster with AVRI JM pickups from my SD Alnico 2 Pro humbucker equipped Japanese Jazzmaster. Man, I can't really figure out why I benched the Warmoth for any period of time. The tone is everything I want and need. Now if there was just some way to keep the tone but lose the hum.

11. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

GENIUS!

P.S.
    hendrix, trower, blackmore, knopfler, richards, johnson, west, frisell, SRV, thompson, beck... (even the best of Billy G.)

12. exodus

exodus Member

Hendrix for sure, but don't forget Jimmy Page. He sold more Les Pauls playing a tele than anyone else:)

13. dave s

dave s Member

Fralin Blues in neck/middle and the Steel Pole 43 in the bridge. Screams as good as any HB guitar I've owned. Plus, it cuts better!

dave

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Over the years I have tried to "get" guitars with humbuckers but just couldn't find myself in them. I suppose humbuckers have their place....but not in my hands. To my ears, a good Strat has more top & bottom end than a humbucker equipped guitar which gives me more to work with....whereas humbuckers typically have that wet blanket midrangey effect to my ears that I find very limiting. Oh well, to each his own. When it comes to tone, there's no right or wrong....just different opinions.

15. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

I'm used to having a HB in my guitar for the last 25 years. Everytime I get nervous about the Melancon Tele I'm planning to buy I remember the tone on that solo and I relax again. I can't wait...

16. cg

That's the setup I have. Very nice indeed!

17. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I go through phases. Started out a humbucker fan, then went through a heavy strat phase in the 90s.

Last few years I've been on a Les Paul kick that finally lead me to an R4 with P-90s. A McCarty with P-90s is waiting for me to pick it up at the UPS office today.

Is it the beginning of P-90 phase for me?

Hmmm

In the end its all good to me.

There's a song in every guitar (Neil Young axiom).

There's a guitar for every song (Steve Howe corallary).

:p

18. larryl

larryl Supporting Member