• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

AM BC109 and Skreddy BC109

bernm

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has played both the Analogman and Skreddy BC109 fuzzes and how you might compare them? I'm thinking of selling my current silicon fuzz in favour of something a bit more aggressive or edgier, and these two pedals are standing out at the moment. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fuzzr

This should be fun. Ive played both (other guitar player in my band has both...) and they are great pedals for sure. I'm in the Skreedy camp, it's a little hotter sounding. AnalogMan fans, against the Skreddy devotees....this should be fun.

cuseman731

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't tried the AM but I had a Skreddy that I regret selling. It was actually really versatile and sounding amazing when I could crank up my Goodsell 5/17 LE. Unfortunately that isn't often so I moved it along. Great pedal for sure that can get real nasty if you want :)

Pedal Dan

The Island of Misfit Pedals
A couple of months ago I picked up a late 80's Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face with BC-109's. Sickest fuzz I've ever played! Dave Fox Special!

scotticus

I own the AM BC109 and it's a very gainy fuzz. Not too bright, and very focused sound for a fuzz. Doesn't clean up that well with the guitar's volume knob. Not sure whether or not I'm sold on it yet. After getting that one, I picked up a DA Fuzz Face with BC108s and the difference between the two transistors is vast. Much better clean up with the 108s, but not as much gain. The 109s have a very cool sound, but to me they are not as versatile as the 108s.

Skreddy

I've got a bag of some old BC182's I've been meaning to try out some day. I wonder how well they clean up in a classic FF configuration. Anyone have a Dunlop EJ FF?

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
As a fanboy of both Skreddy and Analogman I say get them both. There‘s no way they’ll sound the same because, well, fuzzes. They will both sound great.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
I own the AM BC109 and it's a very gainy fuzz. Not too bright, and very focused sound for a fuzz. Doesn't clean up that well with the guitar's volume knob. Not sure whether or not I'm sold on it yet. After getting that one, I picked up a DA Fuzz Face with BC108s and the difference between the two transistors is vast. Much better clean up with the 108s, but not as much gain. The 109s have a very cool sound, but to me they are not as versatile as the 108s.
The BC109 is pretty much the same as the BC108, except it's characterized as "low noise". Any differences would be accounted for by the gain levels selected for the pedal. Silicon transistors in general don't clean up as well as germanium in a Fuzz Face usually because the silicons run higher in gain. Guys who build FF's with low gain silicons say they can be made to clean up about as well as germanium FF's, however the classic silicon transistors used in FF's are mostly higher gain than the germaniums.
Al

andare

The BC109 is pretty much the same as the BC108, except it's characterized as "low noise". Any differences would be accounted for by the gain levels selected for the pedal. Silicon transistors in general don't clean up as well as germanium in a Fuzz Face usually because the silicons run higher in gain. Guys who build FF's with low gain silicons say they can be made to clean up about as well as germanium FF's, however the classic silicon transistors used in FF's are mostly higher gain than the germaniums.
Al
My Dunlop JHF1 (BC108) cleans up just as well as my JDF2 (Germanium). It just sounds different. Less woofy and more trebly, exactly what I need. I love Ge Fuzz but it can be too smooth on stage.

ndparse89

Al
I find the 109s are darker and warmer while 108s are brighter and buzzier. So I find the 108s to be a nastier overall fuzz, even if the 109s are higher gain.

analogmike

Platinum Supporting Member
The 109s have a little more edge and grit than the 108, at least the ones we use (TFK telefunken brand).

vintage66

My Dunlop JHF1 (BC108) cleans up just as well as my JDF2 (Germanium). It just sounds different. Less woofy and more trebly, exactly what I need. I love Ge Fuzz but it can be too smooth on stage.
Love the jhf1. Had to try a few to find “the one”, mostly because I was trying used ones and several had noise issues. Got lucky on an internet purchase. Thought it was broken until I switched the input and output jacks, someone had rewired them right to left.
Amyway,haven’t tried either but I’d love to try both as well as both Foxrox models. I have two AM ge sunfaces but not si’s which is a crime since I prefer si. Love Skreddy too.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
Love the jhf1. Had to try a few to find “the one”, mostly because I was trying used ones and several had noise issues. Got lucky on an internet purchase. Thought it was broken until I switched the input and output jacks, someone had rewired them right to left.
Amyway,haven’t tried either but I’d love to try both as well as both Foxrox models. I have two AM ge sunfaces but not si’s which is a crime since I prefer si. Love Skreddy too.
Is that the round Hendrix (blue) FF?. If so, the jacks are supposed to be backwards from normal, like the original Fuzz Faces. Input to left, output to right, looking at the front of the pedal. Was yours changed to input on the right?.
Al

Last edited:

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Is that the round Hendrix (blue) FF?. If so, the jacks are supposed to be backwards from normal, like the original Fuzz Faces. Input to left, output to right, looking at the front of the pedal. Was yours changed to input on the right?.
Al
If it was rewired, it would be right to left while actually playing the pedal, which is generally what people mean when they say “right to left” about pedal wiring.

The jacks are clearly labeled on them. Some people switch them around to conform them to the modern standard.

Regan

Silver Supporting Member
My SF bc109 is my first silicon fuzz and it is exactly as gnarly as I want. I just love it. I've heard nothing but good things about every Skreddy pedal so maybe I'll try one some day but it's hard not to go back to the one you know...ya know?

Trending Topics