AM Beano Boost vs Retroman Beano Boost vs DAM Red Rooster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sandro, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Sandro

Sandro Member

Now I want to use it with my AM Fuzzface NKT 275 the ovviest choice would be the AM Beano Boost, wich I am looking for, but I have had a few offers for the other two boosters did any body have experience with this pedals in combination with the AM NKT 275?

Thank for your help.

Sandro

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey Sandro,

I'd also look into the /13 Dyna Ranger. It's a very nice treble booster!

Of the three you've listed I'd go with either the AM or the DAM. AM's Beano is a very nice classic sounding booster, as is the DAM, but the DAM has a bit of a special twist to it based on what I've heard. DAM is also some of the best build quality I've seen (in terms of consistancy, parts, etc), as is AM and the others...

3. Sandro

Sandro Member

Thank you Marko

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I'm a huge fan of the Analogman Beano boost. It is rich and full and the three way switch is tuned to 3 very usable and cool sounding tonal options. Build quality is superb. Real point-to-point. Seriously, I mean that there isn't so much as a perf board in there.

To be fair, I haven't tried the competition.

http://analogman.com/beano.htm

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have an early Retroman w/OC44 and it seems built very well. I have not compared it to the competition you asked about, but I have no complaints with Retroman with regard to tone or build quality.

There isn't much in these things. They are the only thing out there simpler than a fuzzface. Only one transistor and a handful of parts. I always wonder what is making the difference when people swear by one brand of treble booster, or dis the other. There isn't much to determine which one sounds better than the other except the particular chosen tranny and maybe the input caps. So comparing any two treble boosters is mostly just comparing the differences in types or selections of the transistor, and the types and values of input caps. And frankly I have read several times where people reported hearing little or no difference in several of the most popular types of trannies in treble booster circuits. I believe that individual units would sound different, just like with fuzzfaces, but I doubt you can draw a conclusion about an entire line or brand from one quick comparison. But since I haven't actually tried it, that is just a guess.

6. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

check out the Hartman treble booster.

7. steinwand

steinwand Member

:agree
    It has some kind of 'mojo' :drink
    BYOC Triboost and Addrock Boostmaster should also be mentioned.
    And because of price and versatility (the Ge tranny lives in a socket
    and can be changed) the Triboost would be my choice.

But as the Beano and the Sunface make a formidable pair in the Sunlion,
    this could be the best solution soundwise, especially because Analogman
    uses the same trannies (NKT275) in the Beano.

I think Marc Ford uses the combination of Sunface and Beano quite
    frequently. But he also is a gear slut and changes often ...

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had the Analogman, the Dynaranger, and I still have the Red Rooster. It just seems to be a great pedal in live situations and its very quiet. I use it for 90% of my strat solos. The other 10% is the Drag n Fly. DAM pedals are is a league of their own, IMO.

9. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

Actually, I don't think he's using the NKT's in the Beanos anymore - I bought one recently and it's got an CV7003 (or something like that!) in it. I try not to worry about that kind of thing - the important thing is it sounds awesome. I plan on getting a fuzz face to use with it, too.

10. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

The Beano is richer, thicker in general. The DAM has a finer grained, crunchy tone to it. The main character of both units is different in this respect regardless of the toggle switch setting or range knob position.

I owned a SunLion too for a while. Whilst I love treble boosters and own an NKT175 SunFace too, I don't get the treble booster into fuzz idea at all - just too damn noisy for me. If I want to get a bit more articulation from the SunFace then running itto a Klon set to boost or some form of OD is more my thing.

@mapleneck: you are right that the cicuit is very simple, however, after going thru 10 or more different treble boosts I can attest to BIG differences, even when the same type of transistor is fitted.

Chris

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I have the Beano and the Beano Boost. They are both excellent. Different but excellent. I have/had many others, and both are at the top.

12. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

preferred that with my Sunface too, compared to the Sunlion (beano)

13. sstweed

Even with the same type of transistor, it comes down to the gain of the particular tranny selected, possibly some bias, and the input caps chosen. Don't know what my point is, other than I am skeptical of one off comparisons with these simple gadgets. Saying one make is always smoother or grittier than another based on a one off comparison just isn't convincing to me. Try ten beanos and ten javas and maybe we can start to come to a concensus. That is just what I have learned from fuzzfaces. As I said before, I have only owned the one treble booster.

14. socal63

socal63 Member

i have a nkt sunface and a beano boost in the arsenal, i can report that each by themselves sound excellent, but ya cant really run them together (i know AM makes a combo pedal, but AM-Mike must be doing a little something different between the effects to get them to play nicely together) my two standalone units when running them together become very brittle sounding when backing off the guitars volume.

15. socal63

socal63 Member

Ah, that could be why my combo sounds schrill... NKT's in both the sunface and beano boost.

16. sstweed

I love fuzzfaces and have tried using them with my Beano Boost. BB into FF sounds awful to me. Past bright into brittle territory. FF into BB works, but varies greatly with the fuzz used. It isn't my favorite sound, but, when combined with the right fuzz, does give a good speaker ripping fuzz. With a non-cooperating fuzz it just sounds way too bright.

Overall I have found uses for treble boosters, and I acknowledge their mojo, but I can live without them. They need the guitar to be cranked or nearly cranked to sound good and dirty, but clean up to brittle to my ears. So they aren't as useful as fuzzfaces which clean up with the guitar to more useable shades of OD. YMMV.

17. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

Treble Boosters seem to be picky about what amp they are run into. I'm using a pretty dark tweed amp with my Beano Boost, and it definitely doesn't sound brittle when clean or dirty (with single coil neck pickup and the rangemaster setting). This video is the main reason I want a fuzz face to go with my Beano! I love that tone, and he appears to be using an amp similar to mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmX2Hd2jnw

Socal63 - what amp are you using the pedals with?

Maybe Analogman himself can comment on the different transistors in the Beanos, I think I've seen him post on here?

18. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

nice clip. whats that song called?

19. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The different transistors can all work fine together. I think that video had Marc playing a standard germanium (2SB175?) sunface into a Beano Boost with NKTs.

I find the germanium or NKT sunface into a Beano boost sounds awesome, easier for me to use in a band context with my Les Paul which can be a little dark with just a fuzz. Sure it won't clean up like just the fuzz but it's a cool, fat sound.

We are trying to save the NKTs for the sunfaces and found some awesome CV7003 transistors in the UK this year so we are using those for Beanos unless asked to use the NKTs. The CV7003 is the military version of the OC44 and the gains and tone are great for the rangemaster circuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sstweed

I unfortunately don't have a Sunface right now (it's on my Christmas list) but I do have the Addrock Geranium which uses nos NKT275's and that in particular is the fuzz that I own that sounds best into my oc44 equiped treble booster. The Diaz with NTE103's is pretty good, and the London Fuzz (I don't know what trannies it has in it) sounds way too bright into the TB. Point is, the NKT's seem darker, lower gain, and much less sizzley (is that a word?) compared to the other trannies I have tried. Wonder if that is why (whether in the Sunface or the Addrock) they lend themselves to this fuzzface -> TB combo?